Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

Well... I did not read the diagram correctly... going over everything again and it looks like I purchased the wrong switches...

L510.jpg

I got Normally Open Momentary switches thinking that the VFD only needed a signal to activate. I might have gotten that wrong. It needs a normally open latching switch.

So making a few changes... for selecting Forward and Reverse I ordered a 3 Position Selector...

3 Position Selector.jpg

And ordering latching switches... Both of those should be here tomorrow and I can finish wiring the control box to take with me this weekend.

Last edited:
Sounds good Jaime, looking forward to seeing what you do this weekend.

Thank you.

Decided that I will keep the VFD there. I will just need to get an enclosure for it.

VFD dimensions-> Height: 5.67" - Width: 4.65" - Depth: 5.80" - Weight: 3.52 LBS.

Thinking of going with this one (still looking to see if I find something less expensive): Gratury Junction Box

Enclosure-1.jpg

I will need to make some cutouts for ventilation (for installing a fan that vents to the side away from all the cutting) and routing the wires...
Enclosure-2.jpg

EDIT: Ordered this one instead... along with fans and grills.

Enclosure.jpg

Switches arrived and was able to swap those... now to wire everything here and take it with me to install on the VFD.

IMG_4986.jpeg

Last edited:
Okay... all the wiring done on the inside of the remote box... I forgot a small detail. I wanted to be able to turn off the RPM display and forgot that when I purchased the enclosure... So had to improvise with a smaller switch that I had... Not as elegant, but it works...

I was testing the display with a small 12volt battery. To make sure I had inserted the display in the correct orientation.

IMG_4998.jpeg
IMG_4997.jpeg

EDIT: I was going to wait to trim the length when installing the other end on the VFD, but decided to install the sleeve now... I can trim it all when I get to Ocala and test this...

IMG_4999.jpeg

Last edited:
Documenting changes to VFD

TECO L510 Wiring Diagram.JPG

TECO L510 Wiring Block.JPG

Connecting potentiometer using terminals: 10V, AVI, and AGND
Programming change: Main Frequency Source Selection -> Code: 00-05 -> From Potentiometer on Keypad (1) to External AVI Analog Signal Input (2)

VFD - Potentiometer.JPG

For the Forward/Reverse switch using terminals: COM, S1, and S2
Programming change:

First I need to enable the external controls:

• Basic Parameters -> Alternative Run Source Selection - Code: 00-02 -> From Default (0) to External Run/Stop (1)

TECO L510 Enable External Control.JPG

Then program these:
  • External Digital Input and Output Parameters -> Multi-function Terminal Function Setting-S1 - Code: 03-00 -> From Default (0) to Forward/Stop Command or Run /Stop (0) - no change, just need to confirm it is set to (0)
  • External Digital Input and Output Parameters -> Multi-function Terminal Function Setting-S2 - Code: 03-01 -> From Default (1) to Reverse/Stop Command or REV/FWD (1) - no change, just need to confirm it is set to (1)
  • Emergency STOP - used External Digital Input and Output Parameters -> Multi-function Terminal Function Setting-S3 - Code: 03-02 -> From Default Preset Speed 1 (2) to Rapid Stop ( Decel to stop) (14). Will also require to set Code: 00-17 - Deceleration Time 2 from Default (10) to 2 Hz - I need to see what is the lowest the motor will work with without overloading the VFD on deceleration... This also means using the E-STOP switch on Normally Open (NO) instead of Normally Closed (NC) configuration.

TECO L510 Wiring for FWD-REV.JPG

• Start/Stop - Green switch - I just wired the COM to the green switch... Pretty redundant as the REV/FWD switch selector has a STOP as well in the center position... but hey, it was already there so I had to use it... Can't be too careful.

Last edited:
Goodness... my ability to make mistakes is not slowing down. Diagram clearly states using a 5K Ohm potentiometer... and what did I buy and wired?? a 10K.... good grief...

TECO L510 Potentiometer.JPG

I will leave it disabled for now while the correct one arrives...

Some have asked for the parts used. I have tried to call those out and provided links along the way. But collecting them all here to make it easier:
  • Push Button Switch Control Station - this one you can get in several different sizes... just select the one you would want for the stuff you are installing... holes are 22mm so get the switches to fit that.
    • For the RPM display, I had to cut a rectangle with a Dremel... and had to make a smaller hole for the potentiometer. And, as mentioned, if you plan it better than I did, you would get a box with one more hole to be able to turn off the Tachometer/RPM. I had the files to 3D print a box for the RPM display... But I had already made the hole for it before I realized I needed that for another switch... Learn from my mistakes...
  • Push Button Latching switch - yeah, after incorrectly buying momentary switches, realized that the diagram calls for latching switches... so many extra parts left for whatever projects comes next...:rolleyes:
  • FWD/REV switch selector - again, better to just have one switch that selects between the two options. Saves one spot on the box.
  • Stop Switch - got to have some bling... lol
  • Tachometer/RPM - display comes in different colors (Green, Blue, Red), just get the color you like the most...
  • Braided Sleeve - great to keep the wires protected
  • 18/4 AWG - Shielded Stranded Wire/Cable- I had some left over from another project... gone now, looks like I will need to order another role to keep handy
  • Potentiometer - the correct 5K Ohms one!!
  • Cable Gland Connectors - I used what I had... but here is the link to similar ones...

Last edited:
Okay... part of the wiring done and working as expected! Wooohoo!

Quick video testing what I have wired so far. You can see that, once the E-STOP is used, if the FWD/REV switch is engaged, it will not start until I recycle the green switch... for safety reasons of course. Cool!

And a short clip after aligning the pulleys... much smoother and quieter now.

Back