Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement!!

Oil lines changed, repaired, and those not stock, replaced…

A few photos…

Previous owner replaced a line with another system… I got some new stock-looking adapters to replace

6F8284FC-D78E-479D-B174-313B117A144E.jpeg

It is nice to be able to see the oil flow…

8DF87865-07BB-43F8-81B4-FAC792067A41.jpeg

I said I was not going to replace the o-ring… but decided to do it at the last minute… also replaced the oil line inside the tank…

E4F8201D-D398-442F-9A64-171ACC3F4E49.jpeg

I ended up using all the compression seals I bought…. Here I thought I was going to have spares… I had not seen all the oil lines…

6AF62629-0681-494F-BCC6-2191C9D85E95.jpeg
But it is all done and working great! Topped off the tank again and finito…

B30E8F87-7D64-4A1D-8569-29C9EFCB6A12.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh, and I did not show how/where I installed the switch for the Maxi Torque-Rite…

I got some spacers, longer 10-32 bolts and attached it to the cover that hides the gear that tilts the head. I can still get to the nuts to loosen for adjustment…

943FBE24-3DF1-49C6-A0CA-0E12BB109921.jpeg

One more… Installed a 4-outlet extension to plug the DRO and all power feeds…also moved the VFD to the other side since the air regulator is on the other side.

32727080-7F2E-456B-B031-E2E1C48AA2C7.jpeg

That is all for now… need to head back to Orlando

5FA50126-F51B-4416-A239-433DFF927444.jpeg

Making a list of what is pending:

1. Recondition stops for the older powerfeeds. One is not working in one direction. The other is only slowing down the motor instead of stopping it... I hope these can be reconditioned and not have to replace them with new units.
2. Install the hardware for the stop of the new Z-axis powerfeed.
3. Relocating VFD
4. Remote switches for VFD (On/Off, Fwd/Rev, Potentiometer)
5. Belt alignment. Will do this next weekend. Just need to pull the motor out, reposition the pulley on the motor shaft, and install back in place...
6. DRO mount/arm is secured on a bolt/nut that locks the ways... not optimal place for it. My plan is to relocate that... I should be able to mount it on the top of that part that slides back and forth... there are two big holes in there. The one towards the front would be perfect. Just need to big washers to get it done. This will avoid having to drill and tap holes elsewhere...

IMG_4790.jpeg
IMG_4789.jpeg

7. Remove old and install new serial number plate
8. Eventually I want a more modern DRO with all the functions I have seen on the newer units. And I would like a 3-axis DRO unit instead of the 2-axis in there now... But not a high priority... I measured the scales... documenting here for future reference: X-Axis: 43" ; Y-Axis: 17"; Z-Axis: N/A - Not sure if the ones in there can be reuse with a newer display or if I will have to replace it all...
9. Z-axis/Knee shaft seems to have a slight bent. Noticeable when I use the powerfeed fast-speed option. I wonder if this can be remove without removing the table...
10. Make a cover for the rear of the head support. Photo, obviously, is not mine... just showing the cover I will be making...

Rear back plate-cover.jpeg

And then cleaning, cleaning, and more cleaning... when I did the oil lines I found so many crevices filled with chips... vacuumed as much as I could... but there is a lot of cleaning still needed. The table slots for example, have not touched those except for putting the vac to them...

Last edited:
:encourage:Thank you. That allows me to work on it here in Orlando. I will have it ready before we head out to Ocala this Friday.

I have some Lexan scrap material that I can use to make the cover... and just spray paint it gray.

Done… letting the paint dry… nothing wrong with the paint, those are reflections of the clouds…

D9B18E86-38A6-4AD4-ADEC-4851E2614DE6.jpeg

Well that was stupid of me to drill the holes...

I made the cover 5" in diameter... the holes are 3/8" from the border... Thinking mine did not have the holes and I would have to drill them. Now looking close at one of my photos, the holes are there... sigh... pretty sure the ones I made will not align with those there...

Oh well, doubt it would make little difference to drill and tap new holes...

I was a little surprised to notice on mine, those are small spiral nails. Not generatlly intended to come out. Same thing used to fasten the nameplates to the body. I got a box of 100 from McMaster a while back.

Back