Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

(2) Thrust washer: 885-013-006 and (1) Thrust bearing: 885-012-010

Bearings part number.JPG

... I have the 2 HP Doerr motor and factorymation sales support confirmed it met all the specs for the motor. I has worked perfect for 2 years now and no complaints. I wired a 3 way switch to it to control fwd and reverse to compensate when I change from High to Low. Like you, I took off the on/off hanging bar but left the original power switch on the side of the head as I like the way it looks. But I wired through it to the VFD and control the power with the 3 way switch I mounted by the VFD on the right side of the machine on an extended arm/platform that my mill came with...

The most significant thing I had to do was to replace the spindle bearings. About a year after I had been using it and was starting to get more in tune with the tolerances of the machine I started taking measurements and unfortunately noticed that I had 2 1/2 thou (.0025) run out at the base of the spindle. I could actually move the spindle by hand with an endmill mounted (not powered of course). So I ultimately decided to have Wells replace the bearing and the reground the R8 inside taper as well. Got it back and the runout was at 2 tenths (.0002) which is right at or better than the spec so this was quite a relief. It cost ~$900 but shipping was $150 of that...

Lastly (for now), I have just completed removal of the head and pulled all of the auto-down feed gears and cleaned then reassembled. I recorded as much of the process as I could and am still in the process of editing the footage into something I could post as a reference to others down the road.

I did not understand the comment on the FWD and Reverse until I went back to the garage and switched from High to Low... son of a gun... I will need to do something similar then... ha!

The bearings that were really bad in my machine, were those in the pulley assembly... Right now, the only noise from that area is coming from the belt. The pulley on the motor is not perfectly aligned with the pulley on the other side. I can see that I could adjust it up and get it aligned. That will eliminate that slight noise that the belt is making... But the difference in sound is night and day from before... those bearings in the pulley were really shot...

IMG_4838.jpeg
IMG_4839.jpeg

Took the time to remove the thrust washers and bearing... those were in good condition.

IMG_4840.jpeg

IMG_4841.jpeg

I cleaned them well, new grease and they went back in... so that was not it...

Last edited:
Maxi Torque-Rite installed!!

IMG_4845.jpeg

IMG_4844.jpeg

Manual calls for 90 psi but to lower it if I wanted to... I left it at 80 psi... here is the video testing it... Not used to recording videos with me in it... I noticed that I kept checking the quill lock, LOL, that was just my nerves... hahahahaha

Last edited:
Good job! Might be the microphone, but seems loud. Is it loud in real life?

Good job! Might be the microphone, but seems loud. Is it loud in real life?
Wife was recording the video… her comment: “Oh my… neighbors are going to love you… that is loud! Is that running all the time!!??”

No honey, only when I am changing a holder tool/bit…

Yeah, kind of louder than I expected. But sooooo easy now to change holders…

Wife was recording the video… her comment: “Oh my… neighbors are going to love you… that is loud! Is that running all the time!!??”

No honey, only when I am changing a holder tool/bit…

Yeah, kind of louder than I expected. But sooooo easy now to change holders…
Ear muff time. Loud noise causes cumulative hearing damage. Is the noise source primarily the air exhaust port? If so, make a muffler!

Time to replace all the oil lines.... Got a few done, the next ones are a bit more time consuming due to access... will be right back...

IMG_4859.jpeg

Back