Wah Wah Wah

Yep I am a Cry Baby . Cost over 3 times as much to ship as what the belt cost. "Its a damn shame"

QTY
PRICE​
mail
B49 - B-Section V-Belt (5L520)
Product ID: B49
1​
$5.26​
Subtotal:​
$5.26​
Discount:​
$0.00​
Shipping:​
$17.55​
Sales Tax:​
$0.00​
Total:​
$22.81​

I will play.

Alibaba starter for my tractor October of 2022

starter price $89.71
shipping charge: $ 170.24

total $259.95

edit: actually IIRC there was also a "due on delivery" extra charge collected by UPS of an additional $40 for customs fees the shipper did not include in the $170

Last edited:
I will play.

Alibaba starter for my tractor October of 2022

starter price $89.71
shipping charge: $ 170.24

total $259.95

edit: actually IIRC there was also a "due on delivery" extra charge collected by UPS of an additional $40 for customs fees the shipper did not include in the $170
Ouch! Dan, we have the technology in our shops to rebuild starters from tip to tail, it's pretty easy. A refreshed OEM starter is leagues above a janky china repro. You might need a brush, bushing, or bearing, but that's cheap stuff. Give it a try next time. Works with alternators, too, OEM components for those are also low in cost.

Ouch! Dan, we have the technology in our shops to rebuild starters from tip to tail, it's pretty easy. A refreshed OEM starter is leagues above a janky china repro. You might need a brush, bushing, or bearing, but that's cheap stuff. Give it a try next time. Works with alternators, too, OEM components for those are also low in cost.
Yeah I have too, but the tractor is a China "Shanghai" 55 HP. I should have included that.

Old starter was weak and slow cranking especially in winter. The new one is a Permanent Magnet Gear reduction unit.
It spins the diesel 203 CU in. over literally twice as fast. Huge difference in starting in cold weather.
I tried the same idea on my TLB Ford with one from DB electrical and have been dissapointed.... the old non reduction Factory Ford starter spins it over quicker. Should have sent that one back.

No complaints ( other than the shipping) on the Alibaba starter since it actually made a major improvement, over a years use and going strong.

Last edited:
That makes sense to me, and I'm glad you have the good practical skills to follow the decision logic tree. In your case, AliChina is OEM, so a reduction starter is a factory team aftermarket speed shop upgrade!

Even the smallest diesels are hard to crank, and 203 cid isn't exactly small for mobile equipment.

That makes sense to me, and I'm glad you have the good practical skills to follow the decision logic tree. In your case, AliChina is OEM, so a reduction starter is a factory team aftermarket speed shop upgrade!

Even the smallest diesels are hard to crank, and 203 cid isn't exactly small for mobile equipment.
Yeah it takes quite a bit to spin it over

Back to outragous shipping charges.

Last edited:
You must try shipping from the US to SA. On fleabay sometimes an used item will cost for example $1,and I am using US currency now for the example because I don't want to convert to SA currency now ($1=R18.8 about), and the shipping will be $80 or $90. CRAYZEEEE!!!!!

You are not going to live long enough to see weeds growing in the parking lots of Walmarts unless you are Moses. The world changes constantly. Sometimes for the better and sometimes not.
Whining about how the world used to be does nothing. It won't even make America great again, whatever that means.
Well, I am with him, I stay out of Wally World.

Not all industrial distributors will sell to "retail" customers but many will.
I use the local Motion Industries branch for many things they carry. Even when not in local stock they get most, next day from their distribution center at no additional cost. They have been very accommodating at finding things for me. They are cheaper for most things than using OEMs.

The current scam I see at a lot of websites is to not reveal how much they are going to screw you on shipping until you create an account with them. When I get to the point of having to create an account to get the shipping cost I just say screw it and move on to the next website.

I have seen an increasing number of sights that will quote a shipping price based on my zip code without having to create an account... these almost always have decent shipping rates.

The $17.55 shipping for a $5.26 belt that will fit in $5.00 USPS flat rate envelope is a scam I first experienced on ebay back shortly after it started. I bet the company sends the belt in a flat rate envelope and pockets the $12 as profit... just like ebay sellers!

I have never ordered anything from McMasters due to the shipping rates. I will do a little digging and find the same exact product for half the "to my door" price most of the time. I guess I am just cheap that way!

Back