Wah Wah Wah

I'm lucky that I have to pass by the Atlanta McMaster-Carr site on my way to my property. I set delivery to "Will Call" and pop by at 7AM to pick up what I ordered. This way, I can have even small orders of things that I really need and not be burned by the shipping.

Dang! How far is it to town? It might have been worth the drive.
After the purchase and shipping of the belt I have considered going back to local vendors. It is about 30 miles round trip for me and that is not so much the problem is walking. I use a cane and do not leave home without it. I also use a walker to do most of my shop work. Being difficult to walk much I limit my in-store shopping. About the only thing I go inside for is groceries and much of what I get in the line of groceries I order online and Sams either delivers it or they bring it to my car and load it for me. I have been forcing myself to walk more but over-confidence is not my friend. Ask me how I know. thanks for the kind words.

I went to Amazon first because I am a prime member. Because I was ordering totally on length, I did not have a part number. Sometimes I will search another seller for the part number and then go back to Amazon, but I do not like the way Walmart and Amazon have gained their monopoly. At least Amazon uses small businesses to fill their orders sometimes. I have not been inside a Walmart in over 15 years now. We have 3 Super Walmart's (in a town of 100,000 people) and they had plans to build #4 but canceled it because Texas would not grant them a license to sell Liquor. I do not even drink alcohol at all, but it is not fair to force the local liquor stores out of business. Walmart learned quickly "Don't Mess with Texas".

I went to Amazon first because I am a prime member. Because I was ordering totally on length, I did not have a part number. Sometimes I will search another seller for the part number and then go back to Amazon, but I do not like the way Walmart and Amazon have gained their monopoly. At least Amazon uses small businesses to fill their orders sometimes. I have not been inside a Walmart in over 15 years now. We have 3 Super Walmart's (in a town of 100,000 people) and they had plans to build #4 but canceled it because Texas would not grant them a license to sell Liquor. I do not even drink alcohol at all, but it is not fair to force the local liquor stores out of business. Walmart learned quickly "Don't Mess with Texas".
Wal-Mart built a super Wal-Mart in Sulphur Springs and killed a huge number of old mom and pop businesses by dropping prices way below reasonable then raising them once they were it..

Wal-Mart built a super Wal-Mart in Sulphur Springs and killed a huge number of old mom and pop businesses by dropping prices way below reasonable then raising them once they were it.
Yessir and they built one on highway 287 going to Amarillo and caused the only grocery store in that town after years serving the community. to close the man that owned the store for all those years refused to open it up again. Then Walmart shut down the Walmart store because there was not enough business to keep it going. Now those people have to drive all the way to Childress to buy groceries. I have nothing good to say about Walmart. There is a ranch here that covers 4 counties. On that ranch is a private lake that was owned by the WT Waggoner estate. The husband of one of the Walmart heirs bought the ranch. People had lake cabins built on that lake that were there since the 1930's and had leases with the WT Waggoner Estate and actually lived in those cabins and lake homes. I used to own one 40 years ago. The a$$hole who bought the ranch canceled all the leases and forced everyone off of the property the first year he owned it. He also owns all the real-estate that Walmart stores are built on and leases these stores to Walmart. I forget what link he has to the NFL, but he has a lot of money in Pro Football. I hope I live long enough to see weeds growing in all the Walmart parking Lots in America. I grew up shopping at Gibsons Discount and they were put out of business by K-Mart then K-Mart died when Walmart was born. "It's a damn shame."

What makes me sad is that Continental, Gates, and Goodyear belts are no longer made in places like the US or Germany... nope, the entire drive belt manufacturing industry exists only in China, India, and Mexico. That's it. No other choices, I researched it through trade publications until I realized that was that. Good golly things change quickly.

I hope I live long enough to see weeds growing in all the Walmart parking Lots in America. I grew up shopping at Gibsons Discount and they were put out of business by K-Mart then K-Mart died when Walmart was born. "It's a damn shame."
You are not going to live long enough to see weeds growing in the parking lots of Walmarts unless you are Moses. The world changes constantly. Sometimes for the better and sometimes not.
Whining about how the world used to be does nothing. It won't even make America great again, whatever that means.

Last edited:
Back