Tools/Machines Used More Than Expected?

I recently built a 2 x 72 belt grinder. Mostly because I wanted to build something. Thought it would be needing new belts all the time which could get expensive. I'm still using the fist coarse belt I put on it and I've done much grinding. For all the fabrication I do and have done, this should have been in my shop long ago.
Aaron

this should have been in my shop long ago.
Agreed.

Several years ago, someone in my neighborhood put one of these out on their curb for free: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/craftsman-1hp-sander-351-22638.322329/

It was completely covered under about a quarter inch of greasy filth (can’t imagine what they used it for) but when I cleaned and lubed it, and put new belts on, it worked great. Haven’t had any trouble with it at all, and I use it constantly.

A belt in front of a flat platen is often more useful than a grinder wheel, and cloth belts don’t need truing! Very handy.

A quick example: a friend talked me into buying a Haimer Taster. It's a lovely bit of kit, but I very, very, rarely use it. Given its ~$500 price (at the time, probably more now) I'd have been better off buying something else...
I love the taster, but unless I had a tool holding system with a repeatable Z and enough holders for all the cutters, it would be hard to justify the cost. But I remember the first time I used one, and was blown away.

• Grizzly G8748 - Hand tapping machine - what a waste of money...
Funny, I use the grizzly hand tapping machine a lot. I also made a mini version of something similar for #0 through #6 screws.

The Beaumont Metal Works 2x72 KMG Grinder with all the attachments and the Weurtz Machine SGA-1 surface grinding attachment. I'll never be without it. Might even buy a second one for the other shop. It gets used all the time. I rough grind with the SGA-1 before going to a real SG.

The little RF29 mill drill. Once it got a $200 3 axis DRO, I love that thing. It gets use more than the CNC next to it. (It might get used less than the bridgeport when that's moved in the shop, but I think it'll stay here anyway. Sometimes there is joy in using a small machine for small parts.)

The Astro Pneumatic tools large brake drum and hub puller. Bought it for one job, figuring it wouldn't be used again. It got used about once a week for the next few months. Honestly thought it was $125 wasted. Nope, was wrong about that!

The two post portable car lift. Figured I'd hardly use it, and it would be tucked in the corner all most of the time. It rarely ever gets taken down. Will never be without one again, especially with the cost of car repairs going up!

#1 most used tool for me is the 6" wire wheel, bar none.
That reminded me of another slightly unusual tool that I can no longer live without: a scotch brite deburring wheel on a cheap HF buffer.

I don’t remember what I paid for the wheel many years ago (I’d have sworn I bought it AT Harbor Freight, but maybe not) but I know it was nowhere near what they cost now.

Seeing current prices gives me pause (geez they are expensive) but I’d probably still pull the trigger when this one wears out (it’s closer to 4” dia now than the original 6”). It’s very likely my most used tool when milling.

No files or scrapers most of the time. Just pull the part out of the vice, zip, zip, zip, zip along the edges and I’ve got beautifully filleted edges with no burr. SO much faster and easier, more reliable, and with better looking results.

I’d really hate to be without it.

(Oops. I see @wachuko already mentioned this. Missed it the first time.)

First thing that comes to mind is the Harbor Freight 4x6 bandsaw. I resisted that purchase, I didn't have room, I didn't like Harbor Freight etc etc.

I don't think it is any exaggeration to say it gets used more than any other metal working tool I own. Pretty much plays a part in every welding or machining project I do.

Just seemed strange to worry about wear with pins more than gauge blocks.

Gotta admit it’s easier to grab a 0.293 pin than it is to figure out the stack.
I hate stacking blocks.

We were probably talking past each other, but I had a guy tell me that because my mismatched set was missing one wear block and the .1008 block it was useless.

The wear blocks are what keeps your set nice and I can pick one up used for my used set along with the missing block. Other blocks have issues, but to think my coworker passed up an expensive set of blocks for an anvil mike because the block set was not perfect boggled my mind.

The situation was a guy in the shop died and had no family to take his tools. The company said to split them up equitably or we take possession, which means they would sit in storage until they got 5S'ed.

Back