Tools/Machines Used More Than Expected?

That's blasphemous. Off to the gallows. :laughing:
Any and everything you do comes down to the person doing the work, not the specific tool.

Yes I know the types, seen dozens of them that couldn't function without their #### tool, and I've seen guys that would mess up with the most sophisticated measuring tool known to man.

I even scribe lines with a pair of calipers. Those are my 2nd order pair I keep in the garage for the mice to use, but still.

Dial calipers got the name "Guessing sticks" as there is no backlash springs to keep the gear train in tension and engaged at all times like an indicator has. Digitals eliminate that and are much like having a hand held DRO.

The longer you do the work the more you realize the theory of diminishing returns, otherwise known as the 80-20 rule or Pareto principle.

The backlash issue with dial calipers has never been a problem for me. Maybe this is because I almost never use dial calipers for inside dimensions?- I don't know. I can consistently measure outside dimensions accurately to .001", and with several brands of calipers.

Ooh. I've got a good one (came to mind today as I was goofing around in the shop).

I know pliers are the last tool a machinist would ever deign to use, but just admit it: We all use them for things regularly in ways we probably shouldn't.

But if you are still using your grandfather's slip-joint pliers that have been rattling around in a toolbox for a century, pull your head out of the sand and get yourself a pair of:

SCREW PLIERS.

These are the fershizzle:

IMG_1350.jpeg

They're for holding round things like screws, rods, and pins at the end of the pliers instead of on the side. I spend a lot of shop time shortening screws and such (on the lathe or just with a hacksaw) then holding them up to the belt sander or scotchbrite wheel to chamfer and polish the ends. These things have been a godsend. Trying to hold something round between the two flats at the end of a normal pair of pliers is an exercise in frustration and plain stupid. These things let you keep the damned thing on axis.

That photo shows a relatively inexpensive pair from the Japanese-brand "Engineer" (available on Amazon, I think, but I'm pretty sure I got mine in Japan).

If you really want some top notch "machinist" grade pliers, a buddy just talked me into buying a pair of German made Knipex Twingrip slipjoint pliers. Holy cow, these things are sweet. Not remotely cheap, but trust me: you neeeeeeeeed them.

Last edited:
Ooh. I've got a good one (came to mind today as I was goofing around in the shop).

I know pliers are the last tool a machinist would ever deign to use, but just admit it: We all use them for things regularly in ways we probably shouldn't.

But if you are still using your grandfather's slip-joint pliers that have been rattling around in a toolbox for a century, pull your head out of the sand and get yourself a pair of:

SCREW PLIERS.

View attachment 455689

They're for holding round things like screws, rods, and pins at the end of the pliers instead of on the side. I spend a lot of shop time shortening screws and such (on the lathe or just with a hacksaw) then holding them up to the belt sander or scotchbrite wheel to chamfer and polish the ends. These things have been a godsend. Trying to hold something round between the two flats at the end of a normal pair of pliers is an exercise in frustration and plain stupid. These things let you keep the damned thing on axis.

That photo shows a relatively inexpensive pair from the Japanese-brand "Engineer" (available on Amazon, I think, but I'm pretty sure I got mine in Japan).

If you really want some top notch "machinist" grade pliers, a buddy just talked me into buying a pair of German made Knipex Twingrip slipjoint pliers. Holy cow, these things are sweet. Not remotely cheap, but trust me: you neeeeeeeeed them.
I use these:

71esEwmdpqL.jpg

Great for removing those older "drive screws" that attach things like name/data plates or fasteners that just no longer grips with screwdriver, sockets, etc.

Japanese made, super high quality in my experience.....

SCREW PLIERS.

View attachment 455689

I've got the twin grips. Great pliers.

I use these:

71esEwmdpqL.jpg

Great for removing those older "drive screws" that attach things like name/data plates or fasteners that just no longer grips with screwdriver, sockets, etc.

Japanese made, super high quality in my experience.....

I have the same ones... you guys made me buy them hahahahhaha

Japanese made
I misspoke. Mine are Fujiya, not Engineer (but I’ve got several Engineer hand tools).

Cute name: “Neji” (usually written phonetically: ネジ but the kanji is 螺子) means “screw”. It doesn’t have any connotation beyond fasteners, threads and spirals!

You prefer it to the Noga design?
They are both good I don't have a Noga to compare it to. But the Starrett you can tension it in a way that you can just move it into position. Tom may not like how the indicator attaches on the Starrett I personally don't like the plastic indicator holder on the Noga.

oxtoolco likes the noga better 6:30.

Last edited:
They are both good I don't have a Noga to compare it to. But the Starrett you can tension it in a way that you can just move it into position. Tom may not like how the indicator attaches on the Starrett I personally don't like the plastic indicator holder on the Noga.

oxtoolco likes the noga better 6:30.
my noga doesn't have any plastic indicator holder. It's probably aluminum, or zinc.. I'm betting AL. Even the knob on the indicator holder is metal.

Back