Tools/Machines Used More Than Expected?

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As I continue to outfit my shop I'm often surprised that the things I thought I would use a lot rarely get used, and things I didn't think I would use a lot get used regularly. My thought was if we have a thread on that topic it might help folks focus on things they're more likely to use regularly as they outfit their shops. Some things are obvious, but what has surprised you as being more useful than you expected?

The first thing that comes to mind for me are inside telescoping gauges. I use them all the time and have no idea how I got by without them! The second is a boring head for my mill. I've lost track of the times I've used it where it really saved me a lot of time and made for a better outcome.

Looking forward to see what others have found as being surprisingly useful!

1x42 belt sander
I have one of those cheap-o HF 1"x??? belt sanders. I rarely used it since it was such a POS. One day I spent some time actually adjusting all the variables - platen, tracking, table, etc. Once I did that I find I use it quite often, so I agree on this type of tool (even a garbage one like I have).

Another tool that surprises me how often I use it are impact drivers. Plenty of uses to blast screws into wood or metal. I'm on my 3rd one after wearing the first two out.

"As I continue to outfit my shop I'm often surprised that the things I thought I would use a lot rarely get used, and things I didn't think I would use a lot get used regularly. My thought was if we have a thread on that topic it might help folks focus on things they're more likely to use regularly as they outfit their shops. Some things are obvious, but what has surprised you as being more useful than you expected?

The first thing that comes to mind for me are inside telescoping gauges. I use them all the time and have no idea how I got by without them! The second is a boring head for my mill. I've lost track of the times I've used it where it really saved me a lot of time and made for a better outcome.

Looking forward to see what others have found as being surprisingly useful!"

Like you I started out with snap gauges. Over the last few years, I've happened across a number of bore gauges and inside micrometers that have largely taken their place. The bore gauges go from ,040" to 4.000" and the inside mic's go up to 12". The best part was that I wasn't looking for bore gauges or inside micrometers.

I happened to visit a used equipment dealer that thought I might be interested in them. I paid less for all the bore gauges and the micrometers than it would have cost for a new set of Mitutoyo snap gauges. Here's a picture of the bore gauges.

Attachments

• IMG_1718.jpg
    IMG_1718.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 45
6" dial verniers are situated thru out the house , basements and garage along with tape measures . Seems to be my most used tools lately .

#1 most used tool for me is the 6" wire wheel, bar none.

The Sheckel D-bit grinder was purchased with anticipation of expanding it's usefulness. Turns out I can sharpen tools and cutters that I didn't expect to be able to on that machine, and my skills are always growing. So that's an easy one.

Another tool that I discovered I couldn't be without is a planer gauge. It's usefulness starts as a lathe center height gauge and goes from there.

Edit: Government computer keylogger drops keystrokes constantly, so I replaced missing letters.

Last edited:
It's entirely, **ENTIRELY** dependent on the person doing the work. Trust me. (No, really...) I have squandered thousands over the years buying crap that other people said was indispensible - that I ended up just never using. It's all down to what you do, and how you do it. The most amortized tools in my shop are: MIG welder, bench vise, belt grinder, and horizontal band saw - but if you work on a different type of project, none of those might be that important to you. OK, I don't think you can go wrong with a good horizontal bandsaw...

A quick example: a friend talked me into buying a Haimer Taster. It's a lovely bit of kit, but I very, very, rarely use it. Given its ~$500 price (at the time, probably more now) I'd have been better off buying something else...

Work on your stuff, and buy what **you** need. Listen to your friends when they tell you that you need an expensive tool, but then consider whether it will be of use to *you*.

Ignore anyone that professes to know exactly what you need...

The best thing you can do is start working on projects, and buy what you need as the need arises.

GsT

It's entirely, **ENTIRELY** dependent on the person doing the work. Trust me. (No, really...) I have squandered thousands over the years buying crap that other people said was indispensible - that I ended up just never using. It's all down to what you do, and how you do it. The most amortized tools in my shop are: MIG welder, bench vise, belt grinder, and horizontal band saw - but if you work on a different type of project, none of those might be that important to you. OK, I don't think you can go wrong with a good horizontal bandsaw...

A quick example: a friend talked me into buying a Haimer Taster. It's a lovely bit of kit, but I very, very, rarely use it. Given its ~$500 price (at the time, probably more now) I'd have been better off buying something else...

Work on your stuff, and buy what **you** need. Listen to your friends when they tell you that you need an expensive tool, but then consider whether it will be of use to *you*.

Ignore anyone that professes to know exactly what you need...

The best thing you can do is start working on projects, and buy what you need as the need arises.

GsT
I don't think this is to tell you what to buy or use, I think the OP was just curious what you wound up using more than you thought you would.

Back