Tools/Machines Used More Than Expected?

It's entirely, **ENTIRELY** dependent on the person doing the work. Trust me. (No, really...) I have squandered thousands over the years buying crap that other people said was indispensible - that I ended up just never using. It's all down to what you do, and how you do it. The most amortized tools in my shop are: MIG welder, bench vise, belt grinder, and horizontal band saw - but if you work on a different type of project, none of those might be that important to you. OK, I don't think you can go wrong with a good horizontal bandsaw...

A quick example: a friend talked me into buying a Haimer Taster. It's a lovely bit of kit, but I very, very, rarely use it. Given its ~$500 price (at the time, probably more now) I'd have been better off buying something else...

Work on your stuff, and buy what **you** need. Listen to your friends when they tell you that you need an expensive tool, but then consider whether it will be of use to *you*.

Ignore anyone that professes to know exactly what you need...

The best thing you can do is start working on projects, and buy what you need as the need arises.

GsT
Gene,

I think maybe you missed the point of the thread somewhat. It's not a shopping list, it's just what you found to be more or less useful than you expected.

Your comment about the bandsaw is actually perfect. I have a beautiful Wellsaw 613, which is a very nice saw...$8K or so new I think and I spent months looking for one. I don't use it nearly as much as I expected, and I do the vast majority of metal cutting with an Evolution S380CPS. I would have been better off pushing the bandsaw down the list a ways now that I look back.

I'm working on all kinds of projects and already have a lot of machinery for a hobbyist....two mills, four lathes, 20" drill press, shop press, arbor press, surface grinder, bandsaw, dry cut saw, super spacer, rotary table, tool post grinder, two MIG welders, two TIG welders, engine drive stick welder, 80G compressor, oxygen-acetylene torch set, two propane forges, 50LB power hammer, bench vises up to 175lbs, post vises up to 150lbs, anvils up to 330lbs, etc, etc....I'm probably forgetting stuff, but my wife might see this!

Last edited:
Gene,

I think maybe you missed the point of the thread somewhat. It's not a shopping list, it's just what you found to be more or less useful than you expected.

Your comment about the bandsaw is actually perfect. I have a beautiful Wellsaw 613, which is a very nice saw...$8K or so new I think and I spent months looking for one. I don't use it nearly as much as I expected, and I do the vast majority of metal cutting with an Evolution Rage S380CPS. I would have been better off pushing the bandsaw down the list a ways now that I look back.

I'm working on all kinds of projects and already have a lot of machinery for a hobbyist....two mills, four lathes, 20" drill press, shop press, arbor press, surface grinder, bandsaw, dry cut saw, super spacer, rotary table, tool post grinder, two MIG welders, two TIG welders, engine drive stick welder, 80G compressor, oxygen-acetylene torch set, two propane forges, 50LB power hammer, bench vises up to 175lbs, post vises up to 150lbs, anvils up to 330lbs, etc, etc....I'm probably forgetting stuff, but my wife might see this!
Mmmmm, maybe. I apologize if it seems like I'm missing the point - and maybe I still am. In review, I think I'm on-point, but perhaps I've missed the greater picture entirely.

It just seems to me that everyone has a different need. I recently spent $1800 on a vise. Many would think that's "too much". But when you consider how often, and how much, you use a vise... Well, it makes sense to me. Your bandsaw story is another example - I can't imagine working without a good horizontal bandsaw. That's one of the most used tools in my shop. OTOH, I've heard the same about a vertical bandsaw from others, but mine is used only occasionally. My best example is my surface grinder. I was convinced, by others, that a surface grinder was one of the most indispensible tools in the shop. Mine sits mostly idle... In part because I'm not very good with it, but mostly, I think, because I've lived without one for so long that I just don't think to use it.

I have had the privilege of working (professionally) with a great tool builder. It was interesting, because he was used to working without a lot of tools. While he would occasionally lament the lack of a mill, he routinely made miracles with only modest hand tools. Watching him work taught me the difference between "need" and "nice to have". It's almost embarassing to have every tool in the world yet struggle to make a commodity item... He would routinely eschew specialty tools, claiming (rightfully) that he could do without them.

He's probably riding a KTM around the country about now - ride on Denny!

GsT

Dude, your vise not only makes me want to spend $1800 on a vise, it makes it look like a simple choice. Next year they'll be $2k, five years from now, Fireball may not even be answering calls and you'll be sitting on a sought-after rarity. File your purchase under R for rational decision.

I’d have to say my 3 ton Dake arbor press. I use it for an amazingly diverse array of tasks, bearings, seals, small press fit parts, even pressing gear blanks onto lathe arbors. :)

never thought it would be so handy. I’m looking for a bigger one now, floor standing.

surface plates are another. I use my “shop quality” plate daily for lots of set up tasks, rough measurements, etc. the “good” plate reserved for real measurement and scraping. Never thought I would use them so much.

Mmmmm, maybe. I apologize if it seems like I'm missing the point - and maybe I still am. In review, I think I'm on-point, but perhaps I've missed the greater picture entirely.

It just seems to me that everyone has a different need. I recently spent $1800 on a vise. Many would think that's "too much". But when you consider how often, and how much, you use a vise... Well, it makes sense to me. Your bandsaw story is another example - I can't imagine working without a good horizontal bandsaw. That's one of the most used tools in my shop. OTOH, I've heard the same about a vertical bandsaw from others, but mine is used only occasionally. My best example is my surface grinder. I was convinced, by others, that a surface grinder was one of the most indispensible tools in the shop. Mine sits mostly idle... In part because I'm not very good with it, but mostly, I think, because I've lived without one for so long that I just don't think to use it.

I have had the privilege of working (professionally) with a great tool builder. It was interesting, because he was used to working without a lot of tools. While he would occasionally lament the lack of a mill, he routinely made miracles with only modest hand tools. Watching him work taught me the difference between "need" and "nice to have". It's almost embarassing to have every tool in the world yet struggle to make a commodity item... He would routinely eschew specialty tools, claiming (rightfully) that he could do without them.

He's probably riding a KTM around the country about now - ride on Denny!

GsT
Fair enough, and I really do get a lot of what you're saying. Maybe it's about perspective and how we frame the tool being discussed? Your surface grinder is actually a perfect example of what I'm asking about. You got one expecting it would be useful and haven't found much use for it. That is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of when I started the thread. That's only part of the story, so if people share a bit of why something hasn't been as useful as expected, or more useful than expected it will give us the perspective to know whether it might apply to our situation.

This reminds me...I have to make new ball cages for my surface grinder! :)

Washer/shim Punch & Die set.
2nd Drillpress.
Convolute, soft, grinding wheel.
Refrigerated, compressed air dryer.
Coaxial Centering Indicator.
Heat Gun Holster.

There are a number of tools and machines in my shop that don't get used on a regular basis. However, they suddenly become invaluable the few times a year the job can't be done without them. I must say I've never bought a machine on the advice of others. That's not to say I didn't seek advice from others when looking for machines. I just didn't go out and buy any because others had them in their shop and used them regularly.

Over the years I've tried to make the tools and machines I already have do what I needed if at all possible. If I didn't feel they could do the job it was time to look for something that would. Like many here I'm a bit cheap frugal. I also much prefer old American iron to offshore machines. In almost all cases I'll search for an older piece of American built machinery long before I'll purchase a new or used piece built offshore.

I must admit I do have a couple offshore machines in the shop. I have Jet drill press and a Baileigh cold saw. Both of these machines came from industrial operations and were retired for larger, newer, faster machines. Other than that, it's all old American iron. In most cases I lucked out as far as price and condition are concerned. Most were purchased at a time when many shops were upgrading to CNC machines, or the owners were retiring. Fortunately, I had contacts still in the industry that would alert me when a machine I was looking for came up for sale. The machines were in good condition and the prices and timing were right.

Of the nearly two dozen machines in the shop only one cost more than GeneT45 spent on his vise. When the cost of individual machines can be kept down, they don't have to be used on a daily basis to justify their existence. They can sit there idle a week or a month and not be a strain on the budget. The nice thing is that they're there when needed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be influenced by what others have in their shops. Wait until you have the need for a particular machine or tool before going out to purchase it. Then buy the quality level you think you'll need for the current and future jobs. If you follow those guidelines, you should be able to outfit your shop with tools and machines that will allow you to complete the projects of your choice for many years to come.

...I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be influenced by what others have in their shops. Wait until you have the need for a particular machine or tool before going out to purchase it. Then buy the quality level you think you'll need for the current and future jobs. If you follow those guidelines, you should be able to outfit your shop with tools and machines that will allow you to complete the projects of your choice for many years to come.
I must admit that I struggle with this one... have not learned to control myself with wanting instant gratification and just buying an inexpensive alternative to get me going... Funny thing is that some of those stay in their boxes for months, if not years, unused... I could have waited to get a quality name one....

And don't get me started on buying two of the same thing that have sat for years unused, because I forget that I had it...

As to the topic of this thread, I have not had enough time to spend in the garage playing with the machines... but so far here is my take.

Things I use more than I thought I would:

• Tabletop horizontal bandsaw
  • Starrett tap wrenches
  • Reilang oilers
  • Walker Turner bench grinder with 3M Scotchbrite deburring wheel and Buffing wheel

Things I thought I was going to use and never have:

• Grizzly G8748 - Hand tapping machine - what a waste of money...

Last edited:
I use my gauge pins more than I thought I would. I bought a bunch of dowel pins of various sizes way more often than one would expect.

My boring and boring/ facing heads get used a lot more than I would have predicted because my lathe is too small. The versatility is amazing.

Hands down my 8" Chi caliper, bought at the Enco store in San Jose probably 50 years ago now
Should have bought a couple

Back