Tools/Machines Used More Than Expected?

Yep, the pin gauge sets cover .011 to 0.500 and I use them way more than anticipated. Also true of the Harbor Freight 20T hydraulic press. This solves a bunch of problems that I'd otherwise be stuck. I added the pneumatic jack, but I rarely use that. Also, the 3M Scotchbrite deburring wheel...that is a gem.

Least use not anticipated is the die filer. I thought I would use that all the time, but it just doesn't come to mind that much. I'm disappointed that I can't think of more uses for it.

The mini fridge gets used daily , or should I say nightly . I have a major project coming up in a couple of months which means I have to empty the basement of tools . It will be a colossal event but it forces me to thin the herd which is great .

I use my gauge pins more than I thought I would
Preach!

I bought relatively inexpensive pins from 0.061- to 0.500- several years ago, and use them constantly, often in combination with 123 blocks for all sorts of setup, measuring, and indicating tasks.

Want to bore to a fixed depth on the lathe? Lightly touch the tool to the end of work, then adjust your stop with a pin of the desired depth (or pin and 123 block) between the stop and your carriage.

Wanna position a tool EXACTLY at center height? Put a 0.500” pin in a collet in the spindle, and zero an indicator at top dead center. Now roll a 0.250” pin on top of your cutter and adjust the height until the indicator reads zero again.

Wanna check if the hole you just bored is 0.873” in diameter? Grab a 0.500” and 0.373” pin and see if you can stuff ‘em both in the hole! For some reason, using two pins like this didn’t occur to me until it was pointed out by someone else.

Gauge blocks are for the surface plate and sine bar setups. They are expensive and need to be handled carefully. I hardly ever use them.

Gauge pins, though, are for general tasks and I use them pretty much every day I’m in the shop without any fear of damaging the surface finish. I prefer using them to mics, indicators, or anything else. Less chance to screw up.

About the only screw up I have with them is grabbing a pin from the wrong row in the box. ALWAYS check the laser engraved label in the side of the pin!

Can’t live without them now.

Gauge blocks are for the surface plate and sine bar setups. They are expensive and need to be handled carefully. I hardly ever use them.

Gauge pins, though, are for general tasks and I use them pretty much every day I’m in the shop without any fear of damaging the surface finish.
Going to differ with you here.

Gauge blocks are great for taking measurements in hard to reach areas.

Sure gauge pins are cheaper, but they will wear no less than JO blocks, which really shouldn’t be an issue unless your working for space X.

I hadn't even considered pin gauges - I guess I've had them so long I'm no longer surprised that I use them all the time. Gauge blocks are a little less convenient, so mine don't get used as much.

The one thing that crossed my mind, that fits, is a 3D printer. It wasn't that long ago that I posted here asking if they were truly useful, or just an interesting novelty... I was skeptical, but took the (small) dive on an Ender 3 V2 Neo (Now under $200). Now I have three of the darn things! (Different makes and models). I use them a great deal. At first they were always in use - I bought my second printer (Anycubic Kobra Max) as much to be able to run two prints at the same time as to increase my work envelope. They've turned into excellent investments - with one caveat: if you don't have good CAD and the chops to use it, you're very limited. Even without CAD there's a lot you can download, but having some CAD and being able to use it really opens doors. I still dread the day my wife figures out how useful they can be... ;-) There's now printed plastic all over the house and in the shop...

GsT

but they will wear no less than JO blocks
The flatness and surface finish of Jo blocks needs to be near perfect for them to wring together.

IMO, Jo blocks are for under a tenth precision and need to be treated with care.

Pin gauges don't need to be lapped and are much cheaper to make. They are also available in 0.001" increments (unlike Jo blocks that have to be stacked). I use them for +/- 0.0005" level precision.

I won't use my Jo blocks with dirty hands, un-stoned surfaces, etc. But I don't hesitate to use pins freely in environments where I wouldn't even consider opening my box of gauge blocks!

Gauge pins are pretty hard and durable and aren't intended to provide the same level of accuracy as Jo blocks. That's all I meant.

This is gonna sound goofy, but the "tool" that I discovered recently that's rocking my world are industrial sized hand wipes!
Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 10.34.06 AM.png
I don't have running water in the shop and have to go through two doors and flip a light switch to use the laundry sink. SWMBO has been less than pleased with the greasy prints all over those two door handles and light switch.

On a lark, I picked up some of these from the Home Despot the other day. They are really great! Nice and large, with the same lint-free woven material as Kimwipes. Whatever they are soaked with cleans the grease and grime off my hands much better than the paper towels I've been using, and it isn't as rough on my hands as denatured alcohol.

I have other friends in the UK that swear by Big Wipes.

The flatness and surface finish of Jo blocks needs to be near perfect for them to wring together.

IMO, Jo blocks are for under a tenth precision and need to be treated with care.

Pin gauges don't need to be lapped and are much cheaper to make. They are also available in 0.001" increments (unlike Jo blocks that have to be stacked). I use them for +/- 0.0005" level precision.

I won't use my Jo blocks with dirty hands, un-stoned surfaces, etc. But I don't hesitate to use pins freely in environments where I wouldn't even consider opening my box of gauge blocks!

Gauge pins are pretty hard and durable and aren't intended to provide the same level of accuracy as Jo blocks. That's all I meant.
Been doing this a long time.

I have a beat to hell set that would make you cringe and while I wouldn’t encourage anyone to abuse their JO blocks, I’ve never treated them like the holy grail as some do.

The set I have I picked up from a deceased co workers estate and while they look like a hot mess, they still wrong and I really can’t complain on how things turn out when using them.

Last edited:
Back