Titan/Titanic tragedy

I don't know. Think the reason there's mention of 50 YRO designers, is ONLY because the now deceased CEO made a statement about it. He wanted NEW ideas, rather than experienced designers for his team. So he hired (relatively) inexperienced people "to stretch boundaries" and generate new ideas. So he deliberately ignored what experienced designers were telling him. And he and his customers paid the price for using inexperienced designers... An utterly avoidable tragedy.
And if the narrative were about 50 year old designers, without referencing race then there's no issue.
As said above, many are using the tragedy as a platform for their agenda.

I don't know. Think the reason there's mention of 50 YRO designers, is ONLY because the now deceased CEO made a statement about it. He wanted NEW ideas, rather than experienced designers for his team. So he hired (relatively) inexperienced people "to stretch boundaries" and generate new ideas. So he deliberately ignored what experienced designers were telling him. And he and his customers paid the price for using inexperienced designers... An utterly avoidable tragedy.
I had a boss that thought exactly like this CEO, and hired people based on the same reasoning. Worst boss I ever had.

Every time I see a report on the “technology” this submersible had, it reminds me of the tv show Salvage 1 I watched as a kid many years ago.

Well, to play devils advocate, there's nothing wrong with young or inexperienced members on your team. They often see things that those that have been in the business for a long time don’t or they bring new techniques and technologies that older hands haven’t kept up with as well.

BUT;

You don’t comprise your entire team of them. You have a mix of old hands, journeyman and apprentices. That way you get innovative and fresh thinking tempered by competent people and on the other end of the spectrum, people with lots of experience who “push back” on new odeas and force everyone to rethink what they’re doing and where they are going.

You expect young guns to go high and right or eff up now and then. It’s such a certainty that it will happen, you plan for it. Your experienced members temper that and often find a way for their new ideas to work while still staying inside a safety framework. Your safety framework is the “trap” to catch the ideas that are just too far out to take a chance on. Its also how you keep your “old hands“ in line and on task.

Safety is pri one. Full stop. Everything takes a back seat to it, including “innovation”.

A successful team is about balance and an effective leader knows how to achieve it. An effective leader also knows to set up those safety “traps” in multiple places and at critical junctures. It’s James Reason’s “Swiss Cheese” model and as a pilot and aerospace engineer, that yahoo should have known it inside and out. Maybe he did and chose to disregard it. Foolish move if he did.

Seems like the weak link here was leadership…..

Last edited:
It has been quite limited here (one or two mentions of 50 year old white guys being ignored), but in internet world there are a lot of people trying to make this all about diversity and wokeness.

Kind of a silly argument since it completely overlooks the fact the CEO / lead designer was a 61 year old white guy and seemingly exhibit A of how not to build and test (or not) a high risk vehicle.
Nah, it was all about money young inexperienced person compared to older person with experience equals less monetary compensation for the the younger one. Just my take on it.
Ron

It was almost certainly the "I'm a middle aged narcissist and want to be surrounded by people that tell me I'm right" thing too. Those 50 something's were the ones telling him he wrong to take the approach he wanted to take

Well, to play devils advocate, there's nothing wrong with young or inexperienced members on your team. They often see things that those that have been in the business for a long time don’t or they bring new techniques and technologies that older hands haven’t kept up with as well.

BUT;

You don’t comprise your entire team of them. You have a mix of old hands, journeyman and apprentices. That way you get innovative and fresh thinking tempered by competent people and on the other end of the spectrum, people with lots of experience who “push back” on new odeas and force everyone to rethink what they’re doing and where they are going.

You expect young guns to go high and right or eff up now and then. It’s such a certainty that it will happen, you plan for it. Your experienced members temper that and often find a way for their new ideas to work while still staying inside a safety framework. Your safety framework is the “trap” to catch the ideas that are just too far out to take a chance on. Its also how you keep your “old hands“ in line and on task.

Safety is pri one. Full stop. Everything takes a back seat to it, including “innovation”.

A successful team is about balance and an effective leader knows how to achieve it. An effective leader also knows to set up those safety “traps” in multiple places and at critical junctures. It’s James Reason’s “Swiss Cheese” model and as a pilot and aerospace engineer, that yahoo should have known it inside and out. Maybe he did and chose to disregard it. Foolish move if he did.

Seems like the weak link here was leadership…..
This is exactly correct. A proper (and productive) team has a blend of experience from old n cranky (me) to those fresh to the workforce. That way, as you say, youthful exuberance (and naïveté and foolishness) are appropriately tempered and big mistakes are avoided. Unfortunately what I see are engineering teams consisting of too few overworked old guys and no bench, or a group of wannabes with no experience making poor and sometimes dangerous decisions as they gain experience the hard way. I really love coming in and cleaning up the mess they leave too…. Managers and bean counters seem to have forgotten ( or simply deny that there is a proven way) that the time honored master/apprentice methodology is most cost effective and most productive in the long run. Works for trades, engineering, any technical endeavor with complex undertakings. Short term view and headcount controls rule all decision making.

the managers rather would like to use their new favorite managing style I call “guess n go” and when the consequences of too many guesses start to catch up, they just change jobs. If it’s too ugly change companies.

The basically zero unemployment state is allowing this to continue as jobs are plentiful and companies are not able to be choosy. That’s changing some but not fast enough.

The idea of the carbon fiber shell allowed for a much larger crew compartment.
But, a Youtube clip I watched had some former retired expert, you know them, question the lack of data for this type of vehicle.
I bet they have much more data now to begin again.

Hopefully this tragedy will save lives in the long run
Apparently the CF was purchased at a discount from Boeing because it was past its shelf life.

And when the hull was received it was 29% thinner than spec (5 inches instead of 7).

Despite this, the CEO was on this dive. Pride commeth before a fall
Too bad he had to take others with him.

I expect this will put a serious dent in in-person deep sea tourism for a long time.

Apparently the CF was purchased at a discount from Boeing because it was past its shelf life.

And when the hull was received it was 29% thinner than spec (5 inches instead of 7).

Despite this, the CEO was on this dive. Pride commeth before a fall
Too bad he had to take others with him.

I expect this will put a serious dent in in-person deep sea tourism for a long time.
Uh oh. That sure sounds like it could be criminal negligence to me.

RCMP may have more work than they think…..woukd have to be against the company though, seeing how the owner is probably about the size of a tennis ball right now….

Last edited:
I was thinking about this from my porcelain thinking chair, and I realized the idjits put the carbon fiber wrap on the wrong side of the hull. On the inside, it would have worked to prevent crushing, but on the outside, as the pressure squeezed the titanium hull, it likely shrank and delaminated after being strained a few times on previous dives. Delamination would negate any contribution to structure from the outer hull.

I bet when they release pics of the debris, the carbon fiber toilet paper tube will be intact, but the titanium hull will be like a flattened tube of toothpaste inside. Except it isn't toothpaste, it's billionaire puree.

Back