Titan/Titanic tragedy

markba633csi

Mark Silva
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Sorry to hear about those 5 who perished in the OceanGate submersible- truly awful- I was on pins and needles following
the story and hoping they would be rescued. At least their fate was probably quick and they didn't suffer too long
Must have been stress cracks that weren't noticed; the sub had made two previous dives successfully
-M

I can’t imagine why someone would risk their life for such a foolish endeavor.
The waste of time, money, and life is beyond my comprehension.
I feel sorry for the families, not the idiots who risked their lives so freely

Yes it’s sad.
As a USN MM1 sub sailor in my youth I clearly understand the implications of these sorts of operations. hopefully the tourists fully recognized the risks they were taking and not duped into thinking it was a cab ride to the movies. It was their choice to take on that risk for the experience they desired. They perished doing something that they wished that is out of the reach of all but the most wealthy. This sort of extreme tourism will likely end poorly more often than not when the equipment isn’t designed, maintained, and operated to reliability standards that only the military can afford and has the fortitude to insist on function/reliability/redundancy no matter the cost.

I agree this was a foolish endeavor, not one I would ever consider even if it was free. The risk is far too high in a for-profit submarine ride.

Yes, it’s unfortunate that the media focuses on the sensational stories, but that’s what gets the clicks right?

Going for a dive in a Sub is pretty scary to think about. I'd rather go to space.
In space you have to deal with 8-12 PSI of pressure from the inside to the outside.
In a sub you gain 14 or so PSI for every 33 feet (I believe). That's about 5500 PSI on the outside trying to come in.
In a space ship, you kind of explode. In a sub you will be crushed. Either one happens pretty quick though.
With a space ship, getting to space and getting back through the atmosphere are the dangerous parts. In a sub, almost anything can be a dangerous part.

These people decided to do what they wanted and signed papers knowing there were risks. Though I'm sure they expected to not have problems, they still signed.
I feel bad for the people who cared about them. I hope this tragedy has a good lesson to be learned for the next company offering trips to the Titanic and those who will be taking the trips.

At the very least, take solace that they probably had no suffering. The sub probably was crushed like an elephant stomping on a beer can.

What saddens me is that while the world focused on this rich persons playtime, over 78 people lost their lives in a ship sinking off of Greece.
This is exactly what set the tone for me as I watched the s**tshow unfold. Privilege has it's privileges.

I'm not sure how paid tourism came up when this was supposed to be an experimental thing for exploration... I'm just glad the owner/operator/proponent was on board, and no kittens were hurt.

I got ten submarines I can see from my office window, so you bet this was the hot topic of conversation this week.

I guess it's better to be crushed instantly than be slowly suffocated, freezing, in the dark. My question is, what would one gain doing
this rather than watching a National Geographic special about the Titanic using remote camera submersibles? The latter would be risk free and probably would deliver a better, more comfy viewing experience- why go down there at all? You couldn't get out and walk around the wreck!
-M

Last edited:
Resources.

I hope some of the resources expended on the search will be recovered. And, the families will fund ocean research/conservation in their loved ones names.

I suppose it was a good training mission for the vessels and crew involved but these operations come with a great deal of risk in addition to their cost.

Growing up and living in a very innovative and rich part of the world I've had a saying that nobody has ever been able to dispute.

"Never, ever, ever, ever ever, ever, ever, underestimate the lengths rich people will go to please themselves."

Prayers for the families....

John

I guess it's better to be crushed instantly than be slowly suffocated, freezing, in the dark. My question is, what would one gain doing
this rather than watching a National Geographic special about the Titanic using remote camera submersibles"
I understand what you're saying but you can't pet a shark at the aquarium.
You can't touch the lava at a volcano.
You can't stand in the middle of a tornado.
But people like to get closer than they should.

Plus there's bragging rights and the wealthy love to brag.

I'm not too different.
I've allowed a bear to get within a few feet of me.
I've had a bear sniff me though the thin fabric of a tent.
I've pet a wild deer. As well as an elk.
I've caught wild snakes, and held a wild chipmunk in my hand.
I've climbed a hillside to stand next to a wildfire.
And, well, if I had enough money I might have been in that sub. Just being honest.
I've been in a few situations where luck is the reason I'm alive and I did it just to say I did. (My friends were wuss's)

You only live once.

But I'm a boomer. That's how we rolled.

Back