Titan/Titanic tragedy

Spooky how another father and son pair turned down seats on that ride after the son said it scared the crap out of him. I bet the mum of that boy that died wished they'd listened a bit harder to his fears.
Apparently those stories were false, the boy actually did want to go according to the mother. This article is completely different than what was initially told, I heard yesterday an estranged daughter was spreading the original story the boy didn’t want to go, at this point, I have no idea what to believe.

Actually, they just had the mother on the news.

She was supposed to do the dive with the father. The son really wanted to go so she gave up her place to the son.

Poor woman is going to be in multiple years of therapy….
Didn’t see your reply before I posted the link to the BBC article saying the same thing.

Which 10 submarines can you see from your window? I was on a submarine tender back in the day servicing IC gear on Squadron 6 boats.
There's a whole mess of them in and out. Usually it's a fast attack and a few boomers between refuel and refit, and there's the lineup for decommissioning. We also have a squadron stationed here too. Lots of pale sailors walking around who don't remember if they can stand up straight lest they hit their heads.

Actually, they just had the mother on the news.

She was supposed to do the dive with the father. The son really wanted to go so she gave up her place to the son.

Poor woman is going to be in multiple years of therapy

There's a whole mess of them in and out. Usually it's a fast attack and a few boomers between refuel and refit, and there's the lineup for decommissioning. We also have a squadron stationed here too. Lots of pale sailors walking around who don't remember if they can stand up straight lest they hit their heads.
Yep, sounds about right. I recall they favored sun glasses as well. They were a tight group, so you wouldn't want to offend any of them at the bar unless you were looking for trouble with the whole 'famn damily.

My gut instinct tells me the owner of the company didn't fully appreciate just how much pressure they were dealing with. Numbers are one thing but understanding those numbers without a visual demonstration (they have one now) is something else.
Ambition and the need to succeed may have been a factor as well
I read somewhere, maybe here, the clear bubble at the front was sold with a maximum depth of 1,300 meters.
Anyone else see this?

Thinking a little more on the topic of billionaire puree...

How much would it be worth, based on the value of the victims? One million per pound? Do I hear three million per pound?

No wonder everyone asks if they're going to recover the bodies...

1970-Vintage-Alpo-dog-food-in-cans-750x992.jpgs-l1600.jpg

I came across this video today, it appears even early on he was trying to find someone to confirm his delusions. The last part of the video sums the CEO up perfectly.

I came across this video today, it appears even early on he was trying to find someone to confirm his delusions. The last part of the video sums the CEO up perfectly.

sounds like he had drawn a conclusion and then went to “find” the data to support it rather than the other way around….always a good way to get people killed.

sounds like he had drawn a conclusion and then went to “find” the data to support it rather than the other way around….always a good way to get people killed.
That was my impression too, he was shopping for someone he could use as a reference to say the design was good. According to the timeline, this appears to be a couple years before the company engineer said it wasn’t safe, so he knew all along it was a bad design.

I know theres a lot of questions regarding remains recovery. I, personally have ageneral idea, but not a definitive description.

So I called an old university friend that works at the Bedford Institute of Oceanography (BIO) and although not his specialty, he dug around a bit and passed the info on to me. He also said theres been more than one conversation at the institute about the event and the effects it might/would have.

Let me be perfectly clear: this is not so I can be morbid or disrespectful, its to pass on information about the implosion event. If you don’t want to know or don’t want to think about it, stop reading right here and right now because the rest is not pleasant at all.

My BIO friend was very specific to point out what happened would have gone down so fast, thier nervous systems wouldn’t have even been able to pass the pain receptors signals on to the brain before it was all over. We’re talking fewer milliseconds than it takes to send the electrical impulse through your nerves to the brain. So they (probably) felt nothing before it was over. Effectively, death was instantaneous. Like flipping off a light switch.

The first thing to happen was the initiating failure. The pressure rushing into the vessel would have first compressed the air pocket they were sitting in. This would cause any cavity in the body to collapse. Lungs, sinuses, stomach, intestines, ears, etc. This compression would have been so violent it would have pretty much “liquified” the body, or pulverized it to shreds.

The second effect of the compression on the air pocket would have been a rapid rise in temperature. Just like the air in your shop compressor gets hotter the more pressure you put into it. Given the force and time frame, they estimated somewhere around 1500-2000 degrees f. So any tissue remaining was likely instantly turned to ash. Effectively cremating it.

Then the force of the water itself would have hit them. Anything remaining after the temp flash would have been further compressed and very likely, exploded as a result of the rapid compression. Sounds a bit counterintuitive. But if you compress something so rapidly, it usually has a “rebound” stage and explodes as it equalizes with ambient pressure.

As if thats not enough, anything remaining (identifiable as human tissue) will settle to the bottom. Theres virtually no oxygen at that depth, so it doesn’t really decompose. But there are other organisms who survive at those depths. Anything that was still a protein source will likely be consumed in short order. In days, if not hours.

I know I’ve posted pictures of the crushed styrofoam cup, and my BIO friend said that wouldn’t happen that way in an implosion. He related the cups simply reduce in size because the pressure is applied gradually, as opposed to a rapid implosion event. He said theres just too much energy released in too short a period for anything to survive intact, like the cup on a gradual decent. That same cup would probably just “vaporize” in an implosion event like they were subjected to.

So anyone expecting remains recovery, its highly unlikely theres even anything to recover. Let alone recognizable as human tissue.

Like the 1500 that went down with the Titanic, the ship wreck is now the last resting place of 5 more souls.

”We therefore commit thier body to the deep, looking for the general Resurrection in the last day, and the life of the world to come, through our Lord Jesus Christ; at whose second coming in glorious majesty to judge the world, the sea shall give up her dead; and the corruptible bodies of those who sleep in him shall be changed, and made like unto his glorious body; according to the mighty working where by he is able to subdue all things unto himself”

I’m not a religious man by any means, but the verse seems appropriate, given the circumstances.

RIP.

Last edited:
Back