Thread dial question

I removed the end gear set today and found 2 bearings on the large gear were worn. I will clean up the gears and replace the bearings
Thanks for the photo I was wondering how the gear set looks like in the correct position .Thanks to everyone hear for your help.

Thats the correct position, but this morning it hit me that you need to make sure you have the right gears. The standard setup for standard threads is 40 tooth gears on both sides of the 127 tooth gear. Some metric threads on your lathe require the use of a 30 and/or 32 tooth gear. (Your photos a just blurry enough that I can't make out if the bottom gear on the bottom metric thread table is 30 or 32)

since your machine is set up for metric, you want to check to see if you have two 40 tooth gears.

chris

This is the standard setup.
23b5f1665ffa23aab5448bc22e2f0023_zps0445649f.jpg

This table shows the three possible configurations for metric threads on your lathe. Hopefully your machine was set up for the top one, which is the only one that uses two 40 tooth gears!
13401060386ba126c73e4f6b0ff3331b_zpsb5ceb9fd.jpg

I have that same lathe. ( I just looked again and see you have it's big brother, but it is effectively the same lathe)

your change gears are set up wrong. The lowest gear needs to be moved to the larger gear.
You are set up for metric threading right now. When you are set up for metric threading on your machine the half nuts can't be disengaged during the entire threading operation because the thread dial will never catch the same thread.

Set it up like this and you will be fine.

Since you are in there, it may ay be a good time to clean up your gears and relube them.
Chris

8827e656dc6dfca06f48c2aa4ca3d835_zps60c7766a.jpg
After studying your photo and reading my lathe manual it appears to me that I should be setting the gears as follows...40t x 120t 40t. your photo shows that you are set up on 40t x 127t 40t. that is if your gear tooth count is the same as mine .. I am confused as to which is correct for my lathe. I'm thinking I should follow the manual and see what comes out after a thread test. Do you have a tooth count for your setup??. or do you have a manual for your model lathe that shows thread tables for that gear setup. Thanks for your response ..John
I just read your last post. sorry I prolly need to tell you my gear count .they are ..40t top and bottom and the larger gears are 120t and 127 t what are your tooth counts ??

I thought I should include photos of the manual threading tables...

IMG_1543.JPG IMG_1544.JPG IMG_1545.JPG IMG_1546.JPG IMG_1547.JPG IMG_1548.JPG IMG_1549.JPG IMG_1550.JPG

OH SHUCKS ,MY BAD :slapping:... I see from the photo of the end cover on my lathe is the gear set ups for all the threading details ..I am so sorry everyone I should have studied my own photos .. Well if nothing else I have gained knowledge for sure . I will set up the gearing as what the end cover shows and get on with it. I feel so bad for wasting everyone's time. My profound apology to all. Again I am very thankful for the support shown by all on the hobby machinist forum.:whiteflag: please don't shoot me . John Mullen

OH SHUCKS ,MY BAD :slapping:... I see from the photo of the end cover on my lathe is the gear set ups for all the threading details ..I am so sorry everyone I should have studied my own photos .. Well if nothing else I have gained knowledge for sure . I will set up the gearing as what the end cover shows and get on with it. I feel so bad for wasting everyone's time. My profound apology to all. Again I am very thankful for the support shown by all on the hobby machinist forum.:whiteflag: please don't shoot me . John Mullen

There's nothing to be sorry about, LOL, everybody misses things, have fun threading...!:))

No biggie. The photos I showed were just blow ups of the ones you posted from your lathe.

Do you have both 40 tooth gears?

Any way you can scan that manual and send me a copy. I didn't get the original manual
For my lathe. I downloaded several that were close including the one from the download section here. They are close but no cigar.

Clear photos of the thread tables on your lathe would come in handy. There are a lot of your lathe out there but not a heck of a lot of info.

Thanks.

Chris

Any way you can scan that manual and send me a copy. I didn't get the original manual
For my lathe. I downloaded several that were close including the one from the download section here. They are close but no cigar.

Clear photos of the thread tables on your lathe would come in handy. There are a lot of your lathe out there but not a heck of a lot of info.

Thanks.

Chris[/QUOTE
Thanks Chris
My camera has been hit or miss , It doesn't focus as it should . Ill borrow a better camera from my sis in law and shoot some better pics of the setup labels
As for the manual I am now not too sure that the one I have is the correct one for my lathe. the reason is that the thread table doesn't show the same gearing as the end gear cover labels on my lathe show. IE it shows 20 127 20 gearing on the cover and the manual shows 20 120 20 in the manual thread tables. I'm seeing a contradiction hear???? I don't have a way to scan it but could take photos and post them...

- - - Updated - - -

No biggie. The photos I showed were just blow ups of the ones you posted from your lathe.

Do you have both 40 tooth gears?

yes upper and lower gears are 40t

Thanks.

Chris[/QUOTE
Thanks Chris
My camera has been hit or miss , It doesn't focus as it should . Ill borrow a better camera from my sis in law and shoot some better pics of the setup labels
As for the manual I am now not too sure that the one I have is the correct one for my lathe. the reason is that the thread table doesn't show the same gearing as the end gear cover labels on my lathe show. IE it shows 20 127 20 gearing on the cover and the manual shows 20 120 20 in the manual thread tables. I'm seeing a contradiction hear???? I don't have a way to scan it but could take photos and post them...

- - - Updated - - -

yes upper and lower gears are 40t

The manual looks like it was typed with a type writer. Perhaps it was a typo.

Posting photos of the manual would take a lot of memory, probably not worth it.

let us know when you are cutting thread.

Chris

Back