The Great Screwdriver Discussion of 2024

I'm a big fan of "pound through" screwdrivers, with the big hex on the end.

For very stubborn screws, you can have someone strike the hex while you get a spanner on it.

I also like the manual impact drivers, which I've found very useful when paired up with a 4lb mini sledge.

JIS bits for jap motorcycles makes a big difference, as the screws are always cheese and a Pozidriv or Philips cams them out right away. But where possible, I replace them with Allen cap stainless with a whisper of antiseize on the threads, and reduce spec torque by 15-20% to account for the lubrication effect and prevent galling.

As for brands, I'm a big fan of the Halfords own sets, they're a 'pro-sumer' level, but with a great warranty and there's Halfords everywhere in the UK.

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk

This is my Xcelite master set. I got it in 2004 with a trove of tools that were rapidly fielded for the invasion of Iraq. It's the good stuff from before Xcelite was bought by Apex (2010). The smell of cellulose acetate reminds me of all sorts of old feelings.

PXL_20230818_181401924 (1).jpg

This is my Xcelite master set. I got it in 2004 with a trove of tools that were rapidly fielded for the invasion of Iraq. It's the good stuff from before Xcelite was bought by Apex (2010). The smell of cellulose acetate reminds me of all sorts of old feelings.

View attachment 458236
Whoa! That’s a nice one :eek 3:

I always hated that smell, but it would certainly bring back memories. I think I have a small set of Xcelite nut drivers purchased in the 80's that still has that stink. I rarely use them anymore, but they've done yeoman's service for me in the past.

GsT

This is not a screwdriver, but since OP @Mauzinette opened the door...

One of these is an OLFA. The other one came out of a $0.25 gumball machine at Kmart. One of these gets used almost daily, the other... well, I avoid junk. I know that I have high quality tastes (an acquired taste, truly) while the popular attitude is get 'er done, and get 'er done cheap. Yeah, maybe. But this thread is all about tools that last, hold up, and feel right in hand... so OLFA gets a big win.

PXL_20230901_173449955.jpg

@pontiac428

Simply the best! I don’t think OLFA has any real competition out there. Especially now that their probably biggest domestic competitor Tajima has offshored their cutting tool manufacturing to China. As a Finn I should probably be swearing by Fiskars tho' :chunky:

To land us safely back on topic, for the last few days I’ve been trying to come up with electrical problems just to give myself a valid reason to get the new PB Swiss 5125 VDE screwdrivers. I mean look at these!

1693598947984.jpeg

Back