The Great Screwdriver Discussion of 2024

In case you haven't heard of Heyco, there's another German company whose catalog is full of cool stuff :geek:

One handy thing about a Robertson screwdriver is that the screw holds on to the screwdriver since it is a tapered
square drive.
I love square drive screws. If I receive anything that has Phillips or slotted head (wood screws) in it, I throw them into the recycling and replace them with Robertson.
(I don’t think non-woodworking screws are made with square drive?)

The only thing I don’t like about Robertson is when I need to take something apart, I often need to use pliers to remove it from the bit… Which is better than the slotted screw flying across the workshop or the Phillips head bit stabbing me in the hand…LOL.

(Beware of cheap import square drive screws, I have some “specialty particle board screws” (Home depot Canada) which are complete garbage, they’re the only square drive screws I’ve used that routinely cam out).

As for Phillips Head, I find my laser etched Wira screwdrivers fantastic! They rarely cam out.
https://www-de.wera.de/dw2017/en/lasertip

What is the best way to prevent rusting on screwdrivers (or any other hand tool) with an oxidised finish?

My initial thought is to start wiping them occasionally with CRC 3-36 or Lucas gun oil.

Last edited:
What is "wooden"?
It is a technical term to describe a biodegradable material which readily absorbs moisture from the air, and swells as it does that. The reverse is true, as that material shrinks as it loses moisture.

IMG_8896.jpeg
The mailman brought me some Paul Baumann stubby bois :geek: Opening the letter was enough to make our entire living room smell like vanilla :chunky:

Back