The Great Screwdriver Discussion of 2024

Mauzinette

Tool Junkie
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hello tool junkies of H-M,

I want to hear your thoughts on screwdrivers.

What's your favourite screwdriver or more specifically, what makes a good screwdriver? Any screwdrivers you absolutely hate? Know a neat driver for a very specific use case? Ran into a good deal? And so on...

Let's discuss!

JIS screwdrivers are a specialty Phillips screwdriver that fit the screw head a lot better than a standard Phillips on Japanese Phillips screws.
Another thing that works for removing Phillips can be an impact hammer screwdriver or a battery powered impact tool.

On standard screwdrivers, I get a kick out of standard screwdrivers in the casual tool person's box. They are virtually useless,
all worn down from abuse or improper use. I take a careful look at the business end of all screwdrivers and make sure they
are up to the job at hand before I put it to work. If it isn't, it's off to the grinder being careful so I don't overheat it in the process.
A while back, I was helping a friend with his tractor. His standard screwdrivers were so worn that the corners were so heavily
rounded that they were useless. It took two trips to fix the tractor and the second time I brought my own tools.:grin:

I find it very hard to tell a JIS cruciform screw from a Philips cruciform screw by eye. Once I insert the screwdriver, it becomes instantaneously obvious.

Does anyone here have JIS-type screwdrivers by Moody? Are they worth their price? Micro-tools sells a set of four anti-static handle drivers for $30.

PL Robertson, a Canadian, invented the Robertson screwdriver in 1908. It's a square drive tool that fits screws
that at a casual glance look like a Phillips. I think they are used a lot probably more in Canada than in the USA.
It's commonly referred to as a "RED ROBBY". A Phillips screwdriver is completely useless in a Robertson style screw.
It all boils down to the right tool for the job.

One handy thing about a Robertson screwdriver is that the screw holds on to the screwdriver since it is a tapered
square drive.

Last edited:
I have maybe once encountered a Robertson-drive screw. I ended up drilling it out because I thought I didn’t have a tool for it.

Turns out there would’ve been one in my vintage VACO Torque Commander set :frown:

I recently got a set of JIS... jury still out if they are any good.

I still want a good set of flat and phillips so open to suggestions. I do like the ones that have the ability to put a wrench/spanner to them.

What I have now is an assortment of screwdrivers from different inexpensive brands. Not getting rid of those, but would like to have one set that is well made.

I like the Klein screwdrivers that electricians use. I should also say that for carpentry the Dewalt cordless impact driver is a game changer. I can't believe how much I use it working on houses. I drove 6" structural screws into a dock in seconds.

VACO Torque Commander
Speaking of these smelly bois.

My absolute favourite screwdrivers are the PB Swiss Classic handle screwdrivers, pulled the trigger on these after watching this video by Project Farm.

I chose these over the SwissGrip ones because acetate handles are way easier to keep clean than rubber handles. However, I was amused to find that the PB Swiss acetate handles are vanilla scented to combat the characteristic foul smell of butyl acetate handles
:chunky:

E: The only downside with these I can come up with, is that with some slotted screws the fit is not as tight as it could be. For these rare occasions I’ve considered getting a Forster-Bonanza “flathead” set.

Last edited:
I bought SnapOn full set early on and they proved to be more than worth it. Expensive, but stood up to daily use as a mechanic. I love and have used the wrench flat on the shank of the drivers many a time and prefer the square handles. There was also the lifetime warranty but it seems it was more at the discretion of the individual dealer. So when so when I broke the tip off on my most beloved Phillips short shank full size handle with no wrench flat and was told I’d abused it and it was not warranted I never bought another tool from them. But bless their hearts and vital organs they replaced two of my SnapOn hammers with plastic handles that were falling apart just a year or two ago.

Back