The Bronze-Loaded Acme Nut Experiment - Part 2

Put anti seize on the threads. Keep running the screw in and out and it will loosen up a bit.

I think using the liquid turtle wax was the problem. Too thin. A hard paste wax like mold release wax would have been a little thicker leaving more clearance.

How about nickel plating the lead screw. The plating can then be stripped chemically which should leave you with a slight clearance.

How about nickel plating the lead screw. The plating can then be stripped chemically which should leave you with a slight clearance.
Nickel plating, such as has recently been done to the handle, is very thin - millionths. Yes - sure, you can plate up (say) 5 tenths or more, but much easier to apply and remove is a layer of spray paint. I know that you can remove nickel without touching the iron, because that is what platers regularly do when building up new surfaces.

If I had a spare piece of Acme screw, I would consider hacksawing some slots into it, and fashioning a tap.
If I can't jimmy this (first) try into a temporarily useful nut, I will break the bronze epoxy out, and start over, incorporating some of these suggestions.

If I put some grinding paste up there, I guess it would modify the screw before it modified the bronze epoxy much. :(

Try some anti seize. It is a very thin high pressure lubricant.

The epoxy bronze will wear before the steel screw. You could nick up the very first thread on the screw to help open up the nut. Then file it smooth when you are done.

I think that you are over thinking this.

I think that you are over thinking this.
As I have mentioned before, "over-thinking" is not a concept I recognize. I just think as needed.
I hope to be a reasonable person meaning I always have reasons for what I think and do.

There is no seizure as in surfaces stuck against each other with high pressure friction. There is definitely high pressure, but from the nut seemingly now too small, with smooth surfaces sliding.

No other stuff, not even a film of very thin oil (tried) fits up there. It is as if, when I took it out, the bronze "relaxed slightly". What I have now is a true interference fit. The action between the screw and the nut surfaces is shiny sliding low friction, and the threads inside are smooth, burnished looking. What made the biggest difference was a tiny trace of graphite. It is just very tight.

Right now, my crack repair is hardening. Unquestionably, if I can relieve the surfaces a little, I have a vastly improved Acme nut. Perhaps I should not expect a first time try should immediately work. So far, it has been cheap ingredients, and knocked together, and we are all getting to know the recipe!

I have to be impressed with the way you make built-in threads for boat structure bolts. So far, with bolts, it kinda works. Acme threads have something else about them in contact area and design that is different. Possibly the thread half-angle is 14.5° compared to a bolt's 30°

Have you tried anti seize yet? With time the fit between the screw and the nut will loosen up. The steel screw is harder than the epoxy and bronze and the imperfections in the screw will slightly wear down the epoxy and bronze.

This continues the butchering of the Acme nut on my South Bend 9. I have posted a series of extra pictures on the tail-end of Part1
--> HERE
This time it starts with violence from a Dremel-style tool grinder. Having decided to try and make the mold from a short piece of captured polythene water pipe, it was too tight to fit over the compound nut cylinder, "Widening" using one of those little sanders that fit tight by squeezing the rubber middle between washers seemed easy enough, though it produces a tangled string of part-melted polythene dross that obsitnately hangs onto itself. This stuff does not really "abrade", but the scheme seemed to work if the tool is spun up, and pushed in in a series of stalls.

It all goes wrong!
Very, very quickly - if inadvertently, the grip in the blue bit is lost. It may have been better to clamp up the tube, but I didn't want to squeeze it "out of round", and things seemed to be going well. Let go, and the blue pipe starts spinning on the sanding wheel, but unbalanced, off centre, speeding up, and then POW! It throws the tube to collide with the ceiling, and it's bullet-like flight bounces off a few things before finding the floor. Meanwhile, the grinder is vibrating like a mad thing, and it was all I could do to get to the on/off rocker switch. The rubber tool inner was the only one I had, I "straightened it up" in a vise, but it is marked up, and will never be the same again.

View attachment 359263

Here we can see the basic setup. The threaded and untrheaded parts are the same diameter 3/8". The bit at the dial indicator end was somewhat mangled by the hard grub screw, so I filed those burrs away, and put it between V-blocks stood on a 1/2" thick glass plate I have now finally put to a good use.

View attachment 359264

I then ran into some practical issues. It did not much matter if I made the mold too high, because I could cut off the excess to have it fit with the right clearance to the casting. The very important bit to get right was to have a reasonable amount of bronze on the other side of the thread, without ending up with the nut cylinder sticking up proud of it's hole in the slide. This was going to need some nominal measurements, though not too critical.
Using the "depth gauge" measure sticking out of the end of a caliper is not as easy to get consistent results as one may think. I went through a whole series of attempts.

View attachment 359268 _ View attachment 359269

In the end, the only good way was to use my recently acquired $14 bucks old Starrett depth gauge that I cleaned up and re-calibrated. It seems to read spot-on accurately, so we went with that. There are two measurements needed. One is to the top of the Acme screw, and the other is all the way to the bottom. I figured out I would need 4mm of nut sticking out of the other end, to set the thickness of the bronze around the screw.

View attachment 359272 - View attachment 359273

Much of this stuff does not have any critical measures, because they largely take care of themselves by the fact it is a mold, but we do need to make some attempt at getting the screw and the nut cylinder axis to be 90°, to prevent binding. That said, the amount of up/down flop in the screw when it is in place held by the bushing part is enough that I am sure the accuracy here is not super-critical, but that is the whole motivation for hanging it between V-Blocks.

View attachment 359278

Of course, the drilling and threading of the plastic was only done with a hand drill, though carefully. The screw can be "moved" a little in angle, and it cannot be trusted to "dangle" at a reliable 90°. This is where we "force it" a little.

View attachment 359281 _ View attachment 359282

It's like the 1950's with the car polish!
The old stuff has been in the garage for decades. This time, I used 2 (or is it 3?) applications as per the way it must be (Ref: "Back to the Future" movie), but this time without the wood floor treatment wax. I don't have any promotional interest in wax from turtles, which might be deduced that the 500ml plastic bottle has lasted me about a quarter of a century!

View attachment 359284 _ View attachment 359285

I buffed up the insides of the threads using a piece of knitting wool stolen from the lady of the house. So here we are, trying to complete the deed. Darn - but it's a messy business! So easy to spill, or wobble while weighing out. This time, estimating, and not wanting to end up short, I went for 24grams of powder instead of 16. That was wrong. There was 13g of nut mix left over, so that's 10.4g of bronze too much, and 2.6g of epoxy.

The advice @Superburban on mixing the bronze with the epoxy first, and then adding the hardener did not make things easier. The mix of powder so overwhelmed the epoxy volume that it was all just dry lumps, very difficult to get it to "coat" all the powder. When I added in the hardener, things eased up some, but I was not sure I would get the stuff fully mixed. Eventually, I got it to a consistent lump of "dough", and I just kept flattening and re-folding it until I had no loose bronze.

View attachment 359286 _ View attachment 359287

Finally, with some irony in the use of thread gauges, I got it together. I put enough in on top of the nut remnant to help fill up to the threads, then I wound the screw in, and set about tamping and loading. I pushed with my thumb from the top, to force the mix down a bit "hydraulic-style". I found by whacking the top with the flat of the spatula. I could shock the mix into giving me a somewhat shiny top, and hopefully, forced it into all the shapes below.

View attachment 359289

So here we have it. After some hours, it has "gone hard". The test nut I unwound after about 16 hours. I now have to find a non-damaging attach to be able to get some torque onto this, because it does not come with a convenient hex head. If I can get it to unwind, I will post what happened.
I started reading through this thread and thought, what the heck are you doing?
Once I realized the plan, I think it's a darn good one.
You'll get it.
Well done!!

Back