Surface Grinder rookie

I'm still pondering on my cooling mist build. I would like to stay away from pneumatic and have it be all electric. I have a pump from a methanol injection setup. It's a 12v 1.0 GPM 200psi 10amp pump. I would need a 120v to 12v converter to run it. To dumb it down and tackle the psi I would need a 12v variable speed controller. All of this would cost as much as purchasing a 110v pump.

My other thought is purchasing a 110v pump like this one here: https://www.amazon.com/Anbull-Indus...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
I would not need any power converters but may still need a variable a speed control if "45 psi" seems a bit much.

I think having a pressure system vs a flood system may have less mess. I may be thinking about it all wrong as I see air systems use alot less coolant than flood systems but that system may be depending on air to do alot of the cooling.

A hint to pass along, an old timer told Me the last thing to do before turning on the surface grinder is to grab the intended work piece and see if it moves. The first piece I ground after a 20 year spell of no grinding was a piece of Stellite that was not magnetic. I do not want to learn a lesson that quick.

I'm still pondering on my cooling mist build. I would like to stay away from pneumatic and have it be all electric. I have a pump from a methanol injection setup. It's a 12v 1.0 GPM 200psi 10amp pump. I would need a 120v to 12v converter to run it. To dumb it down and tackle the psi I would need a 12v variable speed controller. All of this would cost as much as purchasing a 110v pump.

My other thought is purchasing a 110v pump like this one here: https://www.amazon.com/Anbull-Indus...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
I would not need any power converters but may still need a variable a speed control if "45 psi" seems a bit much.

I think having a pressure system vs a flood system may have less mess. I may be thinking about it all wrong as I see air systems use alot less coolant than flood systems but that system may be depending on air to do alot of the cooling.
I don't know for sure what actually provides the cooling effect, the air blast, or the evaporative cooling of the the fine droplets( or both ), but it helps whatever it is. I like the simplicity of the air system. Also plan to experiment with a droplet/"fog buster" option as well, and see if it uses even less coolant.

I don't know for sure what actually provides the cooling effect, the air blast, or the evaporative cooling of the the fine droplets( or both ), but it helps whatever it is. I like the simplicity of the air system. Also plan to experiment with a droplet/"fog buster" option as well, and see if it uses even less coolant.
My thought was not using air pressure would keep misting down. In going to keep pondering.

We bought but have not built yet our electric mister.

Amazon has 12 volt sprayer pumps rated up to 90 psi for less than 30 bucks.

Next get the mister nozzles for patio cooling, these can be cheap as well.

Make sure you get a good filter, fuel filter for fuel injected car works.

The mist is very fine and the nozzle placed ner the action.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

We bought but have not built yet our electric mister.

Amazon has 12 volt sprayer pumps rated up to 90 psi for less than 30 bucks.

Next get the mister nozzles for patio cooling, these can be cheap as well.

Make sure you get a good filter, fuel filter for fuel injected car works.

The mist is very fine and the nozzle placed ner the action.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Are you going to run it on a battery or 110?

With this type of cooling system you want volume over pressure. You want to drench the part in coolant so it keeps the PART cool NOT the tool. A mister is good for the tool. Misting coolant at the grinding wheel will cause a mess in my eyes and more mist vapors in the air.
I would think keeping it 110 would be the easiest way wiring it up. That’s why a 110 pond pump would be ideal. Puts out good volume,on the lower side of pressure and easiest to wire up.

With this type of cooling system you want volume over pressure. You want to drench the part in coolant so it keeps the PART cool NOT the tool. A mister is good for the tool. Misting coolant at the grinding wheel will cause a mess in my eyes and more mist vapors in the air.
I would think keeping it 110 would be the easiest way wiring it up. That’s why a 110 pond pump would be ideal. Puts out good volume,on the lower side of pressure and easiest to wire up.

Yes, I would think you would want your part cool. Flooding it qouod keep it cool but it seems like it would be a mess just like a mister. I don't think there's away around making a mess. I'm going to have to come up with a solution to battle it. Your idea of putting the pump and basket inside the cabinet is a good one. I'm going to do the same.

I'm trying to nail down a wheel purchase. I don't understand the difference between all the wheels in the 46Grit H hardness class. Other than color I'm not sure what the differences are. Any insight on that? I'd like to get it ordered today.

I'm on the hunt for some sort of container that I can modify that fits inside the cabinet. I think I'm going to purchase acrylic sheets to make splash guards.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221226_122424_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221226_122424_Chrome.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20221226_122439_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221226_122439_Chrome.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20221226_122456_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221226_122456_Chrome.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20221226_122605_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221226_122605_Chrome.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20221226_122615_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221226_122615_Chrome.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 7
There's a lot of alphabet soup when it comes to grinding wheels. Right up there with carbide inserts! I still don't have it figured out, and simply went with the advice of a friend who owned his own grind shop for a number of years. For general purpose grinding a Norton 5SG 46H VSP. The 5SG designates it as a ceramic alox. 46H is 46 grit H hardness, and the VSP is for a porous matrix, which gives it a lot more room for the scarf to go without plugging up the wheel. The porous matrix, along with the ceramic, made a huge difference for me over the plain white alox wheels that came with my grinder. I had to dress them constantly, as they would start plugging up after just a few passes; either dry or with mist. When I switched to the ceramic wheel the difference was amazing. I ground the top surface of a 3" x 4" block of 4140 with it, and when finished, you couldn't even tell that I had used it. Looked freshly dressed. Planning to get another in 60 grit, for times I'd like a finer finish.

Back