Surface Grinder rookie

Your Down feed hand wheel should have tenths readings. On the handwheel is .0005 marks on the bracket is tenth hashes. Your X for the saddle will be thousandths. image.jpg
For coolant you’ll need a reservoir preferably with baffles to sort the grit and dust. A pond or fish pump will do for pumping then some sort of regulated line going to the wheel. Here’s pics of mine. Resv. And pump are in the cabinet line comes up goes to wheel guard fairly simple. image.jpgimage.jpg

I'm going to have to build a coolant rig. Got any pics of yours?
I installed a Kool-Mist sytem on my grinder ( https://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2966&category=2122081959 ). So far I really like it. I've read a lot of horror stories of them "filling your shop with fog" etc, but so far haven't found that to be the case at all. I have it turned down to where you can barely see the mist, and have to look for it collecting on the work piece to know it's on. It consumes about 2oz of coolant( I use the 77 formula ) per hour, so I fail to see how that's going to fill the shop and your lungs with coolant. To each, their own. To provide a good base for the magnet to grab, just made a quick steel bracket that slips into the factory hole intended for the flood coolant. Will clean it up and paint it, now that I know I like it. For the coolant tank, I just used a 1 liter/32 oz water bottle, and drilled a hole in the top for a grommet to snug up to the pick up hose. I use a foot pedal ( https://www.amazon.com/Pneumatic-Po...8&qid=1671307558&sprefix=FV320,aps,182&sr=8-1 ) to control the air. This lets you set the air/fluid valves on the mist unit, and then leave them be. Much less fiddly that way. Also plumbed in a mini regulator in line so the pressure can be tweaked without changing my shop air pressure. Still playing with different pressures to get a feel for what works best. The one change I will make, is to swap out the momentary foot pedal, for a latching style. Keeping one foot on the pedal the entire time you want the coolant on is rather awkward and tiring. I'd prefer to tap the pedal to turn it on, and then tap again, to turn it off. Supposed to be in todays mail, and looking forward to trying it out. ( https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-Pneu...x=baomain+phuematic+foot+pedal,aps,186&sr=8-9 )
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0728.JPG
IMG_0730.JPG
IMG_0729.JPG

Nice seeing some home brew setups! I got a few machines I can cobble something togther from
. I would like to stay all electric no air.

When I ground my chuck I used a little pump and a bucket with a settling strainer
2193f7bd2961032096d94fc7d8846bbd.jpg

It worked quite well and I have used it for a couple other heat-sensitive items. Mostly I use the mister because it’s less mess and less coolant.

Grinding wheels. I would think 1/2in would be best (less heat) but diameter wise? 7in ish seems standard. Is there any other reputable wheels other than Norton? Any particular place I should be giving money to?

Been meaning to try one, as I've heard good things about them. There were numerous Camel wheels that came with my grinder, and so far not impressed. Granted they're probably as old as the grinder. Every one that I've put on the balance stand, has been so far out of whack they needed max weights to get them in a decent state of balance. I only have one Norton, and it was good to go as is, no balance ring even needed. I know that balancing such small wheels is looked upon as a waste of time by a lot of folks, but I see it as a "can't hurt, and might help" kind of thing.

I have a few CGW wheels and they seem to be good.
I have bought several on e bay for about $20 total.
A tip for dressing your mag chuck. Take a very light cut like 0003" on the highest part and dress the wheel. Repeat about 10 times or so. It took me a few days to get mine usable.
Joe

Back