Southbend 9".

Got the spindle apart. I was glad to see the bearing journals where clean and the bearings didn't look bad. The bullgear is missing a tooth but I think I'll be able to live with that it's amazing how dirty things can get. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431299738.240311.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1431299746.619024.jpg

Regards-Carlo

The gear box is the hardest thing to work on, of course mine was stuck because the oil dried up and everything got stuck and the taper pins were facing the wrong way to knock out so I had to spend extra time to do a teardown. Keep in mind that the levers on the gear box are right and lefts so make sure you try all gear selections before installing on lathe. I did know this and still got them reversed, but can be redone easily when off the lathe. Turn the side oilers on the head stock so you can put a piece of wire thru the hole to hold the spring loaded oilers down when installing spindle. Take off your gear selection chart so you don't lose the finish and if you do there is someone who can make a new one for you out there if you do want the lathe to look nice. The missing tooth can be fixed with some welding and filing and some other ways also, just needed to fill the gap so the next tooth does not come off. You could leave it go if you do not plan on using backgear that ofter.Good luck.
Paul

Yeah I still have to figure out how the levers come apart. I think I'm going to hold off on paint I don't have the setup to paint it the way I'd like and even if I do it'll get destroyed In my current shop. So for now I think I'll get it together and polish it up and see how it runs. I still haven't decided if I want to keep it. If the bed was a foot longer I would without question but the short bed is killing me.

Regards-Carlo

Everything was stuck or rusted on mine so I had to do a complete teardown and paint with brush since it was apart. The levers were easy to take apart but finding the pin in the knerled part was hard since it would not move I had to do it. If yours are working just soak and work it to make it easy. Putting the gears back in is trickey and would help to have some extra hands to make it easier. Make sure you try all the speeds on the chart before installing on lathe because some speeds will work with the wrong levers in place left and right. There are 2 gears that look the same but are not. If you have a gap on one shaft and too tight on the other switch end gears. There is no slop on either shafts which make it hard to put together with only 2 hands. Other tricks for other parts I have found, but will hold off for now.
Paul

DCP_0448.JPG DCP_0450.JPG DCP_0456.JPG

I only had issues with the countershaft as It was never lubed and is heavily gouged but until I have the funds for bushings and to machine a new shaft it'll have to work. And the taper pins in the gearbox were a pain. All the other pins worked out real easy just the one for the selector arm shaft and the other for the input shaft didn't want to budge. I got the felts and all now I have to decide if I want to paint it. I really don't want too but it would look so nice.

Regards-Carlo

Cleaning and prepping as much as I can for paint. I either want to do black or white. I thought about clear coating bare metal but I'd want to sandblast everything for that and I do not have access to a sand blaster.

I do have a question. How the heck does the name ate come off the change gear box?

Regards-CarloImageUploadedByTapatalk1431659530.020600.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1431659542.306160.jpg

The gear box plate should have 4 rivets to hold it on, just drill them out and use screws to attach. Painting now would be best. Just use a brush and later you will have to tear down to paint. Mine was all rusted and stuck and looked great when done.
Paul

DCP_0417.JPG DCP_0456.JPG

I'll have to find the original style pins I'm assuming they slide into a bore and the heads are peened over. I'd like to keep this original looking aside from the color. I really wish I had a sand blaster. The more I think about it the more I'd like to do bare metal finish and just paint some little parts for some accents. This is why I hate painting. I'm over critical of everything.

Regards-Carlo

I have a sandblaster and did not use it for the lathe just paint stripper, wire brush wheel for drill and electrolis to take it to bare metal with little effort. I do think the pins on the gearbox are push in or hammer in type I believe. Try McMaster-Carr for those pins.
Paul

Well as of right now everything is going fairly slowly I'm still in process of stripping, cleaning, and checking for damage. I did notice my ways are fairly worn by the headstock but I haven't the first clue how to properly measure them. And a fair amount of other rotating parts are fairly worn. Wish I could find a cheap mill to bore everything so I could install bushings. I did notice a lot of things are already bushed.
Also the half nuts are pretty well worn to nothing does anyone know where I
Might find new ones?

Regards-Carlo

Back