Southbend 9".

Would anyone have an idea what the value of a lathe like this may be? I fear I may have paid too much.
Also finally got to cleaning. The degreaser I use seems to be a little too caustic for the paint on this machine. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430588259.905894.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430588270.358610.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430588278.675626.jpg

Regards-Carlo

it kinda depends on how much you paid for it in regards to what it's worth.
if you paid much more than 600, you paid too much for an incomplete unit...:mad:
if you paid less, you did OK.:)

i'm not really the one to advocate for the parting out of machines,
but, you can easily make whatever you spent back, and then some.
if you did think the project is worthy of abandonment due to unforeseen wear and pieced it out,
i can assure there are no shortages of people trying to fix old iron and the parts would be sold easily.
good luck in either direction you choose.:)

FYI most parts and tooling work on both 9A and 10K lathes
This helps in finding tooling and chucks

Dave

i'm not really the one to advocate for the parting out of machines,
but, you can easily make whatever you spent back, and then some.

I like to think of it as organ donation. A worn out marginally useful machine can give new life to a dozen better and more useful machines.
It's not like a SB 9" is a rare specimen.. South Bend made them by the hundreds of thousands.

Okay wow I guess I didn't do too bad then. The machine is complete it may not have a few accessories but everything is there for it to function and do what it was designed too. And as far as I can tell there isn't too much wear it's just so dirty it's hard to see certain things and trying to get everything to work is proving to be a task. I doubt I'd part it out as if likely keep it for aesthetic value of anything else.

Regards-Carlo

Carlo,

From the start it looked like a good machine to me......just dirty as you say.
Hopefully a thorough cleaning will allow you to figure out all the functions.
To me the only thing obviously needed is a quick-change tool post, it's a keeper.

After striping, make sure you get something on to protect the bare metal.

-brino

I didn't have stripping in mind when I went for cleaning but my degreaser took a lot of the paint off. This machine is small enough that it won't be too bad to strip and paint if I ever get that far. First I have to disassemble to clean reassemble and check functions and if all is well I may paint it. I need to figure out what this color is however and have some paint mixed for it. Luckily I work in a body shop so we can color match In house. Unfortunately we spray all waterborne base coats but clear should be protective enough.

Regards-Carlo

I wouldn't be so quick to completely tear it down.... getting the spindle reinstalled and correctly shimmed can be a PITA. There's also lots of taper pins here and there that can be troublesome.

After a good cleaning, I'd evaluate things and just take apart only what's necessary. If the spindle spins freely and quietly, I'd just flush out the oilers with some brake clean and re-lubricate with some decent spindle oil. If you carefully flip the lathe upside down, you can get to the innards of the apron and gearbox. If it's all in operating condition, clean and re-lube.

The spindle is a bit stiff compared to my atlas machine which I just tore down and cleaned also as it was packed with Years of crud like this machine. My major concern is running it as is and causing damage. As in the condition I got it in it wasn't taken care of at all. The countershaft was nearly locked up tight all the oil had turned to varnish. I feel confident in tearing down and rebuilding. In all reality once torn down and clean so long as everything is good I can reassemble exactly as it came apart and it should be fine. The factory shims are still in the headstock and I'd like to see the condition of the bearings.

Regards-Carlo

Back