Southbend 9".

Well here's some progress if you choose to call it that. This is the exact reason I prefer to tear down a machine that's been used before I put it into service. You can see the build up on the carriage bearing. The apron isn't too bad but the QCGB is caked with grease and so stiff I'm amazed I can move the levers. Oh wait I can't. I really need to invest in a parts washer. Also the QCGB has 54 stamped into it. Could that be an indication of the year? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430789492.405189.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430789514.287748.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430789526.489863.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430789550.757637.jpg

Regards-Carlo

I forgot to add. The threading dial was locked up so I disassembled cleaned and lived and it works fine now my question is does the drive gear have to be indexed to the readings on the head? Or can it be set anywhere

Regards-Carlo

I forgot to add. The threading dial was locked up so I disassembled cleaned and lived and it works fine now my question is does the drive gear have to be indexed to the readings on the head? Or can it be set anywhere

Regards-Carlo

It can be set anywhere. I normally leave mine disengaged when not threading to save on wear.

I should've explained better I meant because I had to remove the drive gear from the dial via the setscrew on the gear. Should it be indexed. I doubt it needs to figured I'd ask anyway.

Regards-Carlo

I don't think it really makes any difference. You might need to rotate the dial a bit to get it to line up with the mark on the housing. You'll just have to engage the half-nut and see where it lines up at.

Went through mine with a kit I bought off ebay for probably $65 or so. Came with all the felt strips a guy could use & bunches of other goodies plus a book with lots of info & pics in it. Had to clean various parts & pieces (though mine wasn't quite so rusty), but it still works fine after many years of service. Might check to see if those kits are still available.
Mark

They are I'm just waiting for funds to free up. For now I'm going to flush out the felts best I can and see if I can't use it. I'm dying to use the machine but in the condition it's in I'd risk doing more damage. The only rust I see so far is in the ways and so far a purple scotch brite pad knocked 85% of it off. I have an atlas that was in much worse shape and that turned out fairly good. I just hate painting things. Especially because we're I have them now is a disgrace.

Regards-Carlo

My nine inch was built in the late 30s and yours looks older than mine. The serial # will be stamped near the end of the bed. If you go to yahoo groups there is southbendlathe group that has a database of serial #s

The most likely cause of sideways movement on the carriage is the rack on the front underside of the lathe bed is loose
They are usually secured with 3/16 UNC countersunk screws about 3/4" long. Remove the whole rack assembly and
seriously clean with a good wire brush replace the screws with alen headed screws which are easier to tighten but do make
sure they are not too long

I'm afraid to try removing the rack. I removed the leads screw support and the QCGB and the screws proved to be a pain in the rear. I ended up having to heat two of them with a propane torch. But here's some
More progress pictures. The gear box was caked with grease and a few of the gears where locked up solid. As soon as I got it apart they came free though. I really don't want to paint it but I feel like I should because I'll likely never have it apart this far again. Does anyone know what the name or paint code of this white color is? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430919337.829325.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430919350.939944.jpg

Regards-Carlo

Last edited:
Back