Southbend 9".

Strtspdlx

Active User
Registered
I just purchased this southbend 9" machine no tooling and the carriage has a good amount of play I'm hoping I can shim it or something of that nature. If anyone has pointers please let me know. Plans as of right now are tear down and inspect for damages and clean this thing because it's absolutely horrendous. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430354094.493752.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430354104.677138.jpg
I also need to build a new stand for it as this one is junk and I'll be surprised if the bed isn't twisted.
Also what is the correct way to remove the chuck. I do not see a stop to aid in removal.

Regards-Carlo

It looks like it should clean up nicely. What do you mean by "a lot of play"?

On the front of the carriage toward the dial I'd say more then .050. Back is good though. In curious if it's supposed to be that way as I do not see a bearing plate.

Regards-Carlo

Hi Carlo,

It's plenty dirty, but looks to be in good shape. Looks like a good project, and a great lathe when complete.

What kind of "play" is there? Does the front of the carriage move left/right or up/down?
There is a carriage lock that can be used during parting and facing. It's the square-head bolt on the top of the carriage to the right of the cross-slide. On my SouthBend I can tell that the ways are worn more near the headstock than the tailstock because if I "snug" this lock to limit play near the headstock than the carriage is too tight towards the tailstock. Wear like this is normal, but this is a great tool-less way to judge a lathe.

Also what is the correct way to remove the chuck. I do not see a stop to aid in removal.

On mine I engage the back gear and use a wood handle (usually a wire brush) between chuck jaws. However, if your chuck has not been removed in a loooooooong time too much force could break a tooth on the back gear, and another way should be found. Maybe a strap wrench around the pulley.

-brino

Last edited:
The cutting forces will be pushing down on the front of the carriage. Their are adjustments on the back side underneath the carriage you can adjust.

The cutting forces will be pushing down on the front of the carriage. Their are adjustments on the back side underneath the carriage you can adjust.
I had thought that I just wanted to be certain before I up and sold my other lathe that this one would be of use to me and it didn't have any major issues.

Regards-Carlo

Well I found that I have a nice 5" cushman chuck that came with the machine. Was filled with brass like everything else. Cleaned it out an voila! Like brand new.

Regards-Carlo

Well I found that I have a nice 5" cushman chuck that came with the machine. Was filled with brass like everything else. Cleaned it out an voila! Like brand new.

Excellent, that's great!

Did you get the chuck off?

-brino

Yes I did. I engaged back gears with the bull gear pin still engaged and put a wrench between the jaws and smacked the end of the wrench with my palm after a few tries it broke free. I did notice a tooth on the bull gear missing though.

Regards-Carlo

Back