South Bend A 9" 3 1/2

please I need your advises!

• advise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • parts

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
the chuck have backplate with 4 screws fit from the front of the chuck to hold the plate on the back. I already started taking all my lathe in a parts and the cleaning will start today!
here is a pic of my chuck. it's South bend brand, made in USA.

I got back from the grinding company, the guy was very nice and he explained to me different methods on how to refinish bed.

he said that I can use the Bridgeport mill (or equivalent milling machine) to grind the bed and the ways..

I asked him if I will need scrape it or plane it just because it's soft bed, and he said; no you can grind it and her said he can do it for me but the cost will be around $1500.00
so the milling is another way I can use!

now the problem is that there is nobody in my state that I know or these people may know can do scraping or planer! so the last two options is 1- use my friend mill or buy the tools and start practicing to do the scraping myself .

handle with carbide blade cost $100
SANDVIK COROMANT 620-30 CLAMP-ON SCRAPER Plus 10 Free 620-2530 carbide insert
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANDVIK-COR...683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fbe1ef8b

dykem high spot $$??

Diamond Wheel Grinder I think around $200

reference ( perfect flat metal 42" to fit it on my lathe bed/ ways/ Vees!

$$$$ :concerned:

IMG_3303.JPG IMG_3307.JPG IMG_3310.JPG

Looks to me like the chuck should fit as well as the thread protector. They should be 1 1/2-8 threads and the back plate is marked as such. There must be another issue as in dirt or a slightly buggered up start of the threads. Give them a good look over to see what the problem is. Now my take on the condition of your bed ways... I would get the lathe up and running first before worrying about scraping and such. You need to do some turning and check the runout. It might be o.k. for your needs. Even tho the lathe is worn it most likely can still do accurate work. Also the price of the reconditioning would get you a different lathe that might be more useable. But again you don't know how bad your's is till you do some turning.

All the stuff you have bought will work with this or another lathe so that is good. And I think you did o.k. on the purchase. The 4 jaw and mill attch. and the collets are expensive items. I paid 100.00 for the collet closer and thread protector alone from toolsforcheap. Still needed the collets.

Harry

Thank you Harry for your great input!

this is what my other machinist's friends recommend me to do.. get the lathe back together, get an AC motor with VFD and start cutting some metals!

I think (yes) I may need to check my check backplate threads again, they should fit just fine, but don't know what is the problem. looks like they don't fit each others! but when I put my old 3 jaws chuck that comes with the lathe, it will go in nice and smooth! and that it what making me confusing!!

I spent $80.00 today for almost new great shape spindle! this is include shipping,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291410758313?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

as you see my spindle been insulted from the front and the back.
it's still working but it's look crap and my cause accuracy problems !

NOW the question is that I need to re surfacing or -smooth- the area where is the spindle fit in. my old spindle have a lines in the front area and the back area, so I don't want to insert my new spindle before I sand /polish to get rid of the lines in the hole, otherwise will end up making new lines on my new spindle.

here is a pic of my spindle showing the lines and the opining area in the headstock base.

I'm thinking to roll a piece of sand paper around my old spindle and fit it in inside the hole then start spinning by my hand that spindle so the sand paper can sand the hole.
but I don't know what kind of sand paper I have to use! and what number to start with?

thank you again for your inputs.
Ozy

IMG_3354.JPG IMG_3355.JPG IMG_3358.JPG IMG_3361.JPG IMG_3360.JPG IMG_3366.JPG IMG_3368.JPG IMG_3369.JPG IMG_3372.JPG IMG_3374.JPG

Ozy: I hate to even say this to you but that is one messed up headstock! At first I was glad to see you got a different spindle as your original one, the end was not looking good and now I can see the threads are your problem...But the bearings on the head stock are abused to say the least. You don't want to use sand paper of any kind (emery cloth etc.) it will embed grit in the bearing area. A scotch brite or corrocus cloth which I don't even know what that is but that's what I have read to use. I have seen where people have line bored the headstock and added bronze bearings but again the price to do this would get you a better used lathe. Try a google search on spindle bearing repair south bend lathe...headstock bearing repair south bend and see what you get.

I see a couple options here...Try and dress the threads on your original spindle with a thread file. Not sure if you can find one for 8 tpi so maybe a small tri-angle or 3 corner file as I call them and carefully clean them up till the other back plate spins on. When you get the new one you will see the difference/problem. Then use it in the lathe and save the new one for future use...or use the new one, since it wasn't too expensive, in the as best you can clean up bearings. At least the threads will be nice!!

The spindle runs on a thin film of oil so even tho the bearings and spindle have grooves they still function o.k. It looks in your case as if somebody got carried away with hammer installing the spindle. It's those chipped out edges...never seen that before.

Good luck,
Harry

I know! I know Man :dejected: I know I paid to much for that crap!
sounds like better to get a brand new Southbend 1001 they are for $2000
at least stopping my headaches..

the headstock is sounds like a difficult to fix, same like my Bed! now I have no countershaft, bad Bed, bad headstock, broken compound dial. so many issues here! and no motor..:(

I found this lathe today on ebay, I asked the guy if it's in good condition and he confirmed to me it's great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281636957594

since I got the gearbox then I can convert his lathe to model A!

Just don't wont to fail again man! I feel so disappointed

I think Arizona is the wrong state for my hobby needs!
thank you:(

I feel your pain!!! That is a nice lookin' lathe there but how ya going to get it home? Here is a 10k in mpls. MN just a 100 miles north of me.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/tls/4947335833.html

They don't last long here on craigs list but I could snag it for you.. then it's road trip time!!!!
Was pondering on your bearings while at work today..better than thinking about work! You might try a hone of sorts..brake cylinder or small engine piston hone and carefully work that in the bearing bore. Trouble is it will enlarge it some but with re shimming you might get it better than it is.
Harry

Thank you sir, that's very kind of you, I appreciate it.
I contacted the guy who listed this lathe on ebay, he located leetwood, Pennsylvania

so I suggest to contact https://www.cratersandfreighters.com so they can deliver it to me. he promised me to send me some close pics to the bed and the head stock.

otherwise will keep my eyes on ebay, and replace the headstock bearings base with new one, and see if I can find better bed! and of course countershaft.

your right about how to make the hole little bigger to fit the bushings with accurate bore cut.
it will take time!

do you have any idea about these 1001 new southbend lathes, I heard both negative and positive, don't know how accurate they are!

Fastenal locations ship cheaper than anyone. If they can drop at a fastenal, and you can pick up at a Fastenal, it is REALLY cheap to ship a pallet.

Google your area for a location

Bernie

I have not heard of these lathes. Must be from Grizzly tho. I would still prefer an old south bend over the new ones. But I have looked at the new 10k. It seems nice but not cheap!

Good luck on that ebay lathe. Looks like a real cream puff. There is a new listing for just that...cream puff SB for about $ 8500!!!

oh, that will be a good idea!

I already found one in my area, they are close right now, I will give them a call first thing in the morning.

I will post the pics of the lathe first he send it to me, hope to be a good lathe:tranquility:

thank you for sending me this shipping company sir.

Ozy

Back