South Bend 9 C Lathe Restoration

Also, that area where the 0 index mark is stamped should not be painted. It is a precision surface.

Also, that area where the 0 index mark is stamped should not be painted. It is a precision surface.
Good point. I'll clean the paint off. Thanks

The usual single phase induction motor uses a special sort of AC capacitor to make the artificial "live" for the other winding. Reversal is by swapping which gets the real live with which gets the supply via capacitor.

Are you fully OK with the motor type, how to connect for reverse, full torque, inbuilt centrifugal spring switches, earth connection safety via your house RCD (Residual Current Device), etc?

I only say this because it has to be right, especially if it was previously powered by generator, and grounded one end of the supply. You do not expect that the ground is connected to anything other than the metal frame, and that the power wires do not share that ground.

You want that in the case of loose swarf or chips contamination into the motor, or even stray wetness, or any kind of earth leakage or burnup, the house RCD will detect the leak, trip out - and save your life!

Got a little problem. I've got everything ready for headstock re-assembly "but" in the bottom of my cleaning pan I found two little tiny brass pieces that I don't know where they fell out of. Does anyone know where they go????

Attachments

• 20191226_113022.jpg
    20191226_113022.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 20191225_214621.jpg
    20191225_214621.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 20191226_092436.jpg
    20191226_092436.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 28
One on left looks like shoe to back gear adjustment screw.
Uhhh, where exactly would the gear adjustment be located?? I just layed the headstock on the lays for the picture. Still some more gears and parts to install.

Attachments

• 20191226_163824.jpg
    20191226_163824.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 20191226_171134.jpg
    20191226_171134.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
He means the BACK GEARS. Those are the gears that engage using the handle behind the flat belt pulleys.

Uhhh, where exactly would the gear adjustment be located?? I just layed the headstock on the lays for the picture.
At the little gear end of back gear shaft. It goes under the screw that goes through part of headstock the back gear shaft rides in.

At the little gear end of back gear shaft. It goes under the screw that goes through part of headstock the back gear shaft rides in.
I think I know where you mean. There is a special tapered set screw in there now that engages into the handle so it doesn't throw too far. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow. How about that other tiny brass piece? Could it be it fits under the set screw of the compound degree retaining set screw?

Attachments

• 20191226_141212.jpg
    20191226_141212.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
The usual single phase induction motor uses a special sort of AC capacitor to make the artificial "live" for the other winding. Reversal is by swapping which gets the real live with which gets the supply via capacitor.

Are you fully OK with the motor type, how to connect for reverse, full torque, inbuilt centrifugal spring switches, earth connection safety via your house RCD (Residual Current Device), etc?

I only say this because it has to be right, especially if it was previously powered by generator, and grounded one end of the supply. You do not expect that the ground is connected to anything other than the metal frame, and that the power wires do not share that ground.

You want that in the case of loose swarf or chips contamination into the motor, or even stray wetness, or any kind of earth leakage or burnup, the house RCD will detect the leak, trip out - and save your life!

Pretty sure Blk & Red is one direction and Blk and Yel the other direction. I'm going to gut the switch assembly can and put a double pole double throw toggle switch in it's place.

Attachments

• p.jpg
    p.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 16
Back