South Bend 9 C Lathe Restoration

"Maybe" I'm missing something inside the handle that is letting it flop down. If that's the case I could drill and tap the top of the rod pivot so it not drop down. Even at that though the handle would be pushed upward and not tighten belt. Have to play around with it cause I really don't want the spring that I added.

Ohhhhhhhhhh! I see said the blind man!!! That makes sense! I'll give that a try and get back with an update. Thanks!

This is how the rod should be attached to the handle.
00da32768a520bb3033ef00c0a0220a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeaaaaaaa! I had the turnbuckle turned around the wrong way. I switched ends and "shazam" the belt tightens like it should. Thank you Brino very much for the help. " No one said I had to be smart just willing!" How much belt deflection is recommended?

Attachments

• 20200103_180104.jpg
    20200103_180104.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
No problem.
Apparently 1/2" of deflection near the headstock pulley is correct tension.
Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 4.08.25 PM.png
btw that was me helping :)

Last edited:
My apology sir! Thank you so much for your help! I've gotten a lot of help and advice here and sometimes an old fart get mixed up. ( Most of the time.) LoL Thanks again for pulling my bacon out of the fire.

After the receipt of my new shorter flat belt, I'm thinking this restoration is a done deal! My next project is a SB 9 A which should be here next week from Illinois. It was the 9A model that I really wanted because of the change gearbox, the taper attachment and powered cross feed. This 9C gave me a first time taste of what's to come as I believe the 9A is going to be a lot more challenging. The 9A has no counter-shaft assembly and is powered by 1/2" belt pulley's attached to the motor and the spindle (looks welded to spindle). I'll be in pretty deep on this one so I'll have to keep it. (And really want to anyway!)s-l1600 (2).jpg

After the receipt of my new shorter flat belt, I'm thinking this restoration is a done deal! My next project is a SB 9 A which should be here next week from Illinois. It was the 9A model that I really wanted because of the change gearbox, the taper attachment and powered cross feed. This 9C gave me a first time taste of what's to come as I believe the 9A is going to be a lot more challenging. The 9A has no counter-shaft assembly and is powered by 1/2" belt pulley's attached to the motor and the spindle (looks welded to spindle). I'll be in pretty deep on this one so I'll have to keep it. (And really want to anyway!)
Interesting way to drive it. Lots of additional strain on the spindle bearings not to mention the loss of spindle bore.
Are you getting a good deal?

Back