some oxyacy questions

Hi Andy,

That's a nice chart. Do you happen to have one for propane? I do very little torch cutting and a quick reference for both acy and propane would save me some time.

Thanks

Also be aware victor style tips come in two torch sizes. There's a 1 and a 3. There may be more sizes. Where did size 2 go? I've only seen 1 and 3. I'd hate for you to plunk down money just to find out you can't use the tip in your torch. There's also another size number that specifies the size of the orifices. So you can buy a torch size 1 tip in orifice sizes: 000, 00, 0, 1, 2, 3, etc. I think they refer to the torch size as "series".

Some guys swear you should cut the fuel off first. Other guys swear you should cut off the oxygen first. The manual for my victor torch says cut the oxygen off first. So guess which way I do it. Read and follow the manual that matches your equipment. Easy enough.

The victor tips for acetylene aren't recommended for propane. You might be able to use them. I've never tried. I only use about two tips sizes, so I just bought the tips made to work with propane. These tips have "GPN" in their part number. Again they come in (at least) two sizes, 1 and 3.

Tips will cost you somewhere around $12 each and $15 for the GPN ones. They last me a couple of years so it's not a big expense. If you increase your torch height after you start the cut, you can avoid clogging the tip and they last longer. Also get a set of small drills or "pin files" to clean the holes. Try not to increase the size of the holes when cleaning.

See the attached chart to relate orifice sizes to the thickness of metal you want to cut. You can use a larger tip to cut a particular size of metal. Just be aware the cut may be a little more ragged. This can save you a little money if you don't want to buy several sizes right away. I find I usually put in the #1 tip and go with it. Your steadiness of hand will mean more on a clean cut than the oversized tip.

A 4 lbs hammer is great for smoothing up the end of the cut. It knocks off any slag, but also beats down most of the little ripples. This gives you a consistant fit-up for welding.

View attachment 53022

We use propane cutting on some jobs it is considered safer. you need to use a different tip as I recall it has more smaller preheat holes. Oxy/Propane does not burn as hot. I is a bit tricky to ignite, turn on the propane to the torch head and then just barely crack the o2 light with striker and then adjust as for oxy/acetylene. It is always entertaining to watch someone who doesn't know this struggle a bit. Some of the newer oxy/propane tips light normally.

Bob

Last edited:
do you need a different regulator too for propane? I assume you can only cut with propane, not do any welding. This weekend I'll likely fire up and do some welding but they called me in to work tomorrow which sucks as it takes time away from my toys

I believe, btw, that my victor came with a zero and 2 welding tip and a cutting one too. I've only used the cutting one so far

Yes it is a different regulator and yes you can weld and braze with oxy/propane.

bob

When I worked in the welding dept of am A/C manufacturer, I spent days brazing up drip pans every month with oxy/propane. It works very well for brazing steel & copper. It does require a larger tip than acetylene. Light as retracted above. It cuts well too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Oxy/propane and oxy/acetylene welding are both archaic, oxy propane is not as hot you want a slightly carburizing flame and to hold a little father off the work as that's where the heat is with the propane. It won't weld thicker steel and it doesn't have the consistant cosmetics that a good oxy/acetylene rig in the right hands can produce. Repair quality in a pinch.

bob

PLEASE tell me how steel can be WELDED to steel with O/P.
With a torch ;)
The flame temperature is lower than AC but higher than the melting point of steel.
Granted, you cannot weld thick/large pieces, but it is feasible.
I would not choose it, though.

Hope it helps.

Franz,

I did it yesterday with oxy/propane because i knew your question was just bait and i know bait when i smell it. two old key hole saw blades clamped together flat to flat welding the edges together no issue for me no lack of fusion i used filler metal but could have just melted them together. i am not saying it is a goto welding process just that it can be done, and be strong. Forge welding with a propane forge is no issue, i like coal better.

bob

Sticking crap on top of steel is NOT welding steel.

Welding is welding. I do not recall mentioning anything about crap or sticking.

Please change your tone, you are becoming offensive.

Thank you.

Back