some oxyacy questions

If you don't use your O/A every day back out your reg screws when your done and the diaphragm will last a lot longer.
----------Just Saying-----------G--------:eek:uch:

If you don't use your O/A every day back out your reg screws when your done and the diaphragm will last a lot longer.
----------Just Saying-----------G--------:eek:uch:

You really should do this every time you use them as it is a true safety concern not too, especially on the higher pressured oxygen bottles!

grump says to back out regulator screws:

what does 'back out' mean? Do you mean loosen the them? These are the valves closest to the cylinders, right, but not the cylinder valves of course

Last edited:
My friends call me Gator, grumpy is my disposition.
Keeping it simple Turn off the round valve on the top of the tanks,then back out the handle that sets the rate of flow [ presursure].

I was taught to turn off the fuel first ,then the 02 at the torch then close the tanks and then the back out the regs if done.
```````````G````````````

3. Also, if I'm using acetylene only for a while, it will deplete that bottle first before the oxygen. By deplete, I mean 1/7 of the bottle. So if the bottle is 49 cu ft, that means I can use only 7 cu ft of what reads on the high pressure gauge, correct?
While filling, it takes 7 hours to dissolve Ac into the acetone. Likewise you should not consume it faster than that, i.e. over 7 hours or 1/7 per hour.
If you have a 49 cylinder, you can adjust your regulator for a flow of MAX 7 cu/ft per hour.
There are tables that give you the cu ft/hour based on tip size and pressure.
You can use 100% of the gas, i.e. until the gauge reads 0.
4. I don't have my instruction book with me but when shutting down, you always shut down the oxygen in the torch first, correct? That's what most videos show, but there's one guy who shuts off the acetylene first.
ALWAYS cut FUEL first.
5. When cutting this weekend, my neighbor told me to hold it at an angle so as not to get splatter welded onto the tip. But when punching holes thru steel, you need to hold 90 degrees. Is screwing up a tip with splatter common? The inner cone has to be on the work, which means your torch is pretty close which is kind of scary as far as splatter goes
The steel splatter will not stick hard to the copper of the tip.
You may have to stop, clean etc. but it will not destroy your tip if you use common sense.

Another safety rule I was taught, is to ALWAYS leave the tank wrench on the acetylene valve. Usually there is even a small chain connecting the wrench to the tank so your co-worker cannot borrow your gas wrench while you are busy welding. In the event of a broken hose, fitting, a fire or whatever, you don't want to be looking for who took the wrench so you can stop the gas flow. Some of the old timers I worked with also insisted on only opening the acetylene valve about 1 or 2 turns - enough not to restrict the gas flow, but less turns to close in an emergency. I have never had a problem, but apparently some of these old timers had been through some panic situations (involving confined spaces or on high structural steel.

As far as operating pressure of the gas, it helps me to know why it is limited to 15 psi. Pure acetylene pressurized above about 29 psi is capable of violent explosions when the acetylene breaks down into benzene and vinylacetlylene (and maybe some other stuff). This reaction releases lots of heat and does not require any oxygen to proceed. The 15 psi max acetylene gas pressure gives you a safety factor of 2:1 in staying away from the explosive range. As pointed out below, the acetylene is absorbed in acetone when stored in the tank so that solution is stable. Plus, the inside of the tank looks something that looks like a solid cinder block which keeps the solution from slopping around. (There is a fancy name for the cinder block stuff, but I don't recall what it is). While you are burning gas, the acetylene is boiling out of the acetone solution at the same rate you are consuming gas. The gas has to find its way through up the cinder block to get out of the tank.

Like others have pointed out below, you typically run at gas pressures well under the 15 psi limit.

Terry S.

OK thx Smith and Harris PDFs seems to be better for me as I'm a visual person. The victor pdf was exactly like my owners manual (same thing), and had a lot of writing in it. I'm not big on writing as I enjoyed the picture ones better. I'm reading all of them and this weekend will begin to play after several weeks of reading and videos so I don't do stupid

I'm watching the first video in the first link you provided. Very informative. One quote to remember is: "if you want a new idea, read an old book"

Back