some oxyacy questions

Maybe this helps the decision process...

I do general purpose work; some machining, basic fabrication etc... In order of usefulness and frequency of use, I go with TIG 50%, ARC 40% and Oxy/Propane 10%. I have a plasma cutter but find it combersome and expensive so, the oxy/propane is used instead for cutting. Also, the oxy/propane is nice for general needs like heating/sweating parts together, occasional silver solder etc...

Ray

thanks, I might use my oxy/propelyne kit (the one no one likes after they buy it) for future brazing. I try to heat the larger metal more than the thinner so the thin doesn't cook off, btw

I plan to do more welding than anything else, but the portability of the oxyacy might come in handy for salvage cutting work, so I've got that in the back of my mind

although I love to use the oxyacy for welding, I'm beginning to wonder if I should simply pick up a cheap AC stick welding setup as the amount of fuel used for welding can seem to be rather expensive (unfortunately). I'm not into MIG at all, just don't care for it.

I love to use the oxyacy for welding, I'm beginning to wonder if I should simply pick up a cheap AC stick welding setup as the amount of fuel used for welding can seem to be rather expensive (unfortunately). I'm not into MIG at all, just don't care for it.

For general welding an ac/dc stick welder can't be beat. Oxy acetylene welding is ok in a pinch but it is mostly not practical anymore except in special applications. I wouldn't dismiss MIG out of hand especially since you can get a little 110 volt wire feed welder so cheaply. The old lincoln tombstone ac/dc model stick welder used to be the standard farm and small shop welder. I think that has changed and MIG has replaced it or at least become the goto for farm and small shops it is much better on thin material. TIG is great but slow and a little harder to learn of coarse any tig is also a stick machine. As a starter spring for the AC/DC stick most stick welding it done DC+ (reverse polarity) so you get a wide range of electrodes you can use.

Bob

Sorry to say it but welcome to the world of welding. Gas has gone up and up consistently every year and now they are adding hazmat fees and service charges to the cost. The days of getting a quick weld done at the local welding shop are unfortunately over. In order for them to make money they have to charge for everything and have to charge higher prices. It is just a part of the economy. Mig, Tig, Stick, OA and friction all have there best uses. Some processes are necessary like Sanitary on Stainless, others are not so critical. In order to do what a paying customer needs you will have to offer multi process options. Some will save you time and money, others like Tig will take time and money, but it all comes out at the end of the year on April 15th. Don't dismiss Mig yet, it may save you in a bind and you may find that it is faster and tougher than a stick or OA joint. Be open minded, or you can lose a lot of money pretty easy.

Bob

One of my neighbors who did a lot of oxyacy in the USMC told me to get cheaper gas, it would be best if I "incorporated." Just involves some paperwork and money, but not a lot. He said I could then get the gas and stuff a lot cheaper like contractors do. Not sure if anyone has gone this route. If the gas were cheaper, I'd be having fun all day instead of limiting myself to jobs I really need to weld, braze or cut.

Speaking of brazing, I found I can do it OK with propane or propelyene/oxy, but for large parts, nothing heats up the area as fast as oxyacy

Setting-up an LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) business entity does not guarantee cheaper prices at the pump -not by a long shot. Matter of fact, it may make life more difficult. Prices are based on volume of sales in almost all cases. Buy a lot on a regular basis (especially if it's a routine purchase of the same thing) and you might get some price breaks. Some places might give you a little better service but this depends on the individual vendor. One downside to an LLC is that you must establish credit under the LLC as many vendors will not take your personal credit card or check if the purhcase is invoiced to the LLC.

The upside to an LLC is just as the name implies, you have limited liability and your personal finances (real estate, savings plans etc) are protected in the event of a law suit with a judgement against you. They can take the business, it's property and assets -but your 401k and every personal penny is protected -this of-course only applies provided you have not committed a criminal act or serious personal offense through the discourse of the business. Another upside (which is dwindling) is that you can deduct some aspects of your personal finances as expenses to the business. Another downside to an LLC is all the time it takes to make sure you're doing things right...

You need to check your local ordinances and State laws carefully. Some folks plunder into it but where I live, there is immediate accounting work that cannot be ignored.

Ray

Being a LLC will not stop someone from suing you. All depends on who has the deeper pockets or has the bigger ax to grind. You still have to spend money on legal fees to defend yourself even if you don't lose in the end.

Even if you declare the LLC bankrupt I can, even if it proves wrong in the end, come after you personally just to cause you to spend money to defend yourself. My shyster lawyer just needs to think he is smarter than your shyster lawyer. He who blinks first loses. BTDT.

Yes, pretty much anyone can be sued at any time -for just about anything. Axe grinding... Nothing new about that.

When people setup LLCs (as sole proprietorships in disguise) and yank all the money and assets out just before or during a litigation, you might as well wear a sign that says "sue me personally -please".

Ray

Being a LLC will not stop someone from suing you. All depends on who has the deeper pockets or has the bigger ax to grind. You still have to spend money on legal fees to defend yourself even if you don't lose in the end.

Even if you declare the LLC bankrupt I can, even if it proves wrong in the end, come after you personally just to cause you to spend money to defend yourself. My shyster lawyer just needs to think he is smarter than your shyster lawyer. He who blinks first loses. BTDT.

Quick update:

The braze on my limb shearer snapped so I welded it instead. This time it will hold!

I left my brazing rod outside. It rained and washed the flux off :-(

Next week I'm going to do all my oxyacy welding at the base automotive skills center. Cost is $10 per hour. Very reasonable!

I'll bring a bunch of steel there and practice cutting, making holes, welding etc

Expect me to be a pro soon and show some projects! LOL

Back