some oxyacy questions

no problem. Thx. Before I get new tips I'll keep using the ones I've got for practice. BTW, been doing cutting for better part of the afternoon. My cuts are pretty gruesome. Some of you guys do nice clean cuts but the slag is pretty bad. probably beginner mistakes.

My biggest learner mistake was turning the regulator the wrong way (like a faucet), but now that that's solved, life is good. I'll try some welding later but preparing for a 3 week trip to colorado, which is work related so after about a day I may not be able to reply.

BTW, I was welding in the rain. I didn't know if that's OK or not. With non-oxyacy like stick and mig I heard wind and rain could be bad but the oxyacy seemed to work just fine

Hated looking slag and uneven cut lines are from improper angle and preheat coupled with too much O2. Try tipping the torch in the expected direction of travel so the flame preheats the metal in the direction you are going. Once the metal gets a translucent red, but not sagging, feather in the high pressure cutting oxidizer and move as quickly as you can without blowing slag back up from the cut. This should yeild a nice smooth cut with fine ridges and very little dross on the back of the cut. You are probably lingering too long and trying to get the high pressure to blow out liquid metal. It will do it but it leaves a lot of slag and dross and makes a very ragged uneven cut line in the material and a huge HAZ (Heat Affected Zone) which will make further welding difficult or impossible. . There is a happy speed that all materials cut at and it is counter intuitive since you dont really melt the metal with the preheat, you just get it really close to melting and use the oxidizer to remove it and blow it from the cut. Give that a try and let us know if that helped clean up your edges and cuts, as well as reduce your next operation cleaning and grinding.

Bob

OK, I just returned from Colorado where I purchased 2 tips from Harbor Freight, per someone's recommendations (I have a victor). I just discovered the tips too big, not the tips themselves, of course, but the threaded portion. I'm hoping I can find the correct tips from somewhere! I posted the specs on the tips earlier in this thread but so far no one could identify them. Hoping someone can assist.

In the photos the 2 tips on the left are HF too big and the tip on the right is the Victor that fits

I have to leave for a few days to Cleveland so can't get any welding in and may have to check this post when I return.

Much thanks

Dave

DSC_2054.JPG DSC_2055.JPG

I have used propane before, pretty good quality cuts on simi-clean metal. Just remember its cooler than act, so give yourself some more preheat time. As the splater is concerned, I worked with a welder who would smack the flame off the end of the tip with the backside of his striker. he said the small pop would clean out any splatter and keep the tip clean. I dont know if thats true, but I never saw him have to clean his torch tip!

Dave,

Take a look down at post #53. You must have the same torch size as mine which takes a 000-3-GPN or 00-3-GPN or 0-3-GPN... etc.

That larger tip you ended-up with is for large Victor torch and HF sells a version of that one too.

Here's one of the exact units I purchased on eBay. This dealer sells 2-packs for $9.99 and 4 bucks shipping. I purchase 4 sizes (8 tips) and he combined and charged 4 bucks shipping for the hole bunch. You can't beat that with a stick.

Ray

EDIT: Oops... Someone PM'd me to notify me of my blunder of not including the link... http://www.ebay.com/itm/370516746739?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

OK, I just returned from Colorado where I purchased 2 tips from Harbor Freight, per someone's recommendations (I have a victor). I just discovered the tips too big, not the tips themselves, of course, but the threaded portion. I'm hoping I can find the correct tips from somewhere! I posted the specs on the tips earlier in this thread but so far no one could identify them. Hoping someone can assist.

In the photos the 2 tips on the left are HF too big and the tip on the right is the Victor that fits

I have to leave for a few days to Cleveland so can't get any welding in and may have to check this post when I return.

Much thanks

Dave

Last edited:
[QUOTE, I worked with a welder who would smack the flame off the end of the tip with the backside of his striker. he said the small pop would clean out any splatter and keep the tip clean. I dont know if thats true, but I never saw him have to clean his torch tip![/QUOTE]

my dad used to do the same thing i never knew or asked why... he just did it.
hmmm i'll have to ask him.

OK, back. Been playing with the setup having fun.

My Acetylene tank then goes to 2 pounds and then about the light of a birthday candle, meaning it is out of gas.

However, my oxygen still reads 65 pounds.

So here's the dumb question.

1. Take both bottles off and exchange them
2. Only fill Aceteylene?

Sort of wish they'd both have quit at same time as it's a good 30 minutes to the place that does the refills.

You are just about out of oxygen too. Get them both exchanged. Start looking for bigger tanks. Eventually you will get tired of exchanging the little ones. Bigger tanks will also be more economical.

OK, back. Been playing with the setup having fun.

My Acetylene tank then goes to 2 pounds and then about the light of a birthday candle, meaning it is out of gas.

However, my oxygen still reads 65 pounds.

So here's the dumb question.

1. Take both bottles off and exchange them
2. Only fill Aceteylene?

Sort of wish they'd both have quit at same time as it's a good 30 minutes to the place that does the refills.

As DaveD wrote:
1) Replace both.
2) Get larger tanks. Acetylene will run much better and safer when using larger cfm if your are using a larger tank.
3) Eventually, you will notice that you always run out of gas just before you finish the job, and your LWS is closed for the holiday. You might solve this by getting full size back up bottles.

Back