some oxyacy questions

SE18

Active User
Registered
OK, here are some of my beginner questions:

1. I've got a victor. I want to get some more tips. Will all models fit victor or only victor and anyone know an inexpensive source?

2. Some applications require acetylene only (without oxygen). My instruction book didn't mention this but to use acetylene only, do I still need to connect the oxygen tank to the regulator?

3. Also, if I'm using acetylene only for a while, it will deplete that bottle first before the oxygen. By deplete, I mean 1/7 of the bottle. So if the bottle is 49 cu ft, that means I can use only 7 cu ft of what reads on the high pressure gauge, correct?

4. I don't have my instruction book with me but when shutting down, you always shut down the oxygen in the torch first, correct? That's what most videos show, but there's one guy who shuts off the acetylene first.

5. When cutting this weekend, my neighbor told me to hold it at an angle so as not to get splatter welded onto the tip. But when punching holes thru steel, you need to hold 90 degrees. Is screwing up a tip with splatter common? The inner cone has to be on the work, which means your torch is pretty close which is kind of scary as far as splatter goes

Thanks!

Dave

Last edited:
Hey Se18
1. You will need to use victor "style tips"there are a number if after market makers of them.

2. The only application I know of that is act only is a air/act tip for low temp soldering like on radiator.

3. I really don't know what you are referring to. You can use the cylinder until it's empty.

4. When shutting down the torch I believe the "correct way " is oxy first so it won't make a snap sound when you turn things off. I bet 99% if welders shut off the fuel first to prevent filling the shop with little black fluffy boogers.ether way will work

5. Again I can't see what he's thinking I'm sure he right about it. Me. Keep it nice and square, plum and smooth for a nice cut.

When using a torch, aside from the big safety issues you will develop your own style. What you are most comfortable with. Get a good Victor cutting manual it will answer most all your questions.

Hope some of this helps. Be safe it can make some really nasty burns if you get careless. Don't ask me how I know
Dan welder for 30 years

Master of unfinished projects

acetylene torches can be used for soldering and silver soldering for plumbing and refrigeration.
my father was a plumber i learned to use the gas at an early age , a special torch is used to mix with the air.
it howls pretty loud when they are in use and make a pretty hot flame.
it smokes bad and makes drifting carbon spiderwebs at low setting as you crank up the knob it burns bright orange yellow then stabilizes as the air gets drawn through the tip and dosen't seem to put off any smoke in soldering.
good luck!

Acetylene only will produce soot, I do thing you are reading a soldering book which uses a B tank (plumber tank) acet. and room air is mixed at the handle so you will not get the soot and a nice flame for water copper pipe. The high pressure gauge on the tank is tank pressure and will tell you when you are running low and the low side is for line pressure and should be adjusted for the process you are doing. 10 lbs plus or minus is for normal stuff and is dependent on what you are doing. I hope this helps.
Paul

OK, thanks, just to clarify then:

I can use all the acetylene I want to from the bottle. I probably misunderstood what the 1/7 rule is, thinking I should not use more than 1/7 of the acetylene bottle.

appreciate all help!

The 1/7 number you are thinking about is the rate you can use acetelene out of the tank. The old rule of thumb was 1/7 of the tanks capacity per hour. Try to use it up any faster and you start to draw in the acetone from the acetelene tank which can lead to all kinds of problems.

There is some published literature that suggests that number should be closer to 1/15th per hour which is even more conservative by a factor of 2.

From a welding/brazing standpoint the pressures set for the torch have all to do with the thickness of steel being welded. IIRC my set has both gasses in the 3-5# range for up to 1/8" steel.

ohhhhh, rate, not amount. OK! That's good news. I suppose if the pressures I use are the recommended ones for the tips and job I'm doing, then I should be fine.

Acetylene can't be used over 15 psig , the regulators for it will not go past 15 for safety purposes.
dependent on tip size and type you'll run Acetylene at 3-7 psi generally.

Last air/acet tip I saw for a Victor set was 20! Years ago. It screwed right on like a regular tip. Yes the ones for plumbing are cool.
DanO

Master of unfinished projects

Back