Snowmageddan in Md !

Number one on the list of things I don’t miss in Northern Michigan.

John

I really didn’t mind the snow as much as the layer of ice under my feet for 4+ months.

I fixed snowblowers and plows at my shop so it definitely helped the cash flow when there was a lot of it.

I consider where I live now just about perfect, but I was born and raised just up the road from here and love the ocean. Earthquakes don’t bother me since they are pretty rare and shouldn’t cause damage to my 2007 built single story.

Everyone has reasons for where they live. I did enjoy Michigan for the most part. But that season where there was ice under my feet wasn’t my favorite.

John

:eek: 1- 150 inches possible !

I couldda told you that !

NOAA says 1 to 5 inches of mixed precip in the warning area. You're pretty well outside of that. You think it was just a typo, or is advertisement funded weather going to switch to millimeters for a new spin on the drama factor? :)

I couldda told you that !

NOAA says 1 to 5 inches of mixed precip in the warning area. You're pretty well outside of that. You think it was just a typo, or is advertisement funded weather going to switch to millimeters for a new spin on the drama factor? :)
AI generated....

John

I really didn’t mind the snow as much as the layer of ice under my feet for 4+ months.

I fixed snowblowers and plows at my shop so it definitely helped the cash flow when there was a lot of it.

I consider where I live now just about perfect, but I was born and raised just up the road from here and love the ocean. Earthquakes don’t bother me since they are pretty rare and shouldn’t cause damage to my 2007 built single story.

Everyone has reasons for where they live. I did enjoy Michigan for the most part. But that season where there was ice under my feet wasn’t my favorite.

John
Having ice underfoot wouldn't be my idea of fun either. Seasons, aka change, are nice. I did live (as a kid) on Kwajalein Island in the Pacific, for 18 months and the weather was great but I really did miss the seasons. (My Dad worked on the ABM radar, way back in the 60's.) Was a great experience, especially as a kid, but I wouldn't want to live there permanently. The island was only 6-8 feet above sea level, about a couple of miles long, and a 1/4. mile wide. Half of it was a runway, nearby was a (live) missile silo, the rest was housing, school, a commissary and movie theater. Kind of limiting, as an adult, a total playground as a kid. Be kind of tough to get machines out there... I'd shudder to think what that would cost - and how long it would take.

I'm used to the New England area, having grown up here, but I'm no longer tied here. Might move sometime after things settle out a bit. (I've traveled, so I know there's lots of nice places one could live.) At this point wouldn't consider California, primarily due to the inflated cost of housing there. If you are grandfathered in there, you don't take the beating on housing cost. When I would visit on business, I'd hear about the crazy arrangements people had for affording housing there. I wouldn't subject my family to that. (Crazy long commutes, or terrible accommodations.) But, I have to admit the climate is very pleasant. Been in CA for a mild earthquake, just chandeliers swaying and a little shaking, but it made a big impression on me. Not my favorite thing, but I'm sure I'd get used to the little stuff. All I need to do is win the PowerBall to move there...

Having ice underfoot wouldn't be my idea of fun either. Seasons, aka change, are nice. I did live (as a kid) on Kwajalein Island in the Pacific, for 18 months and the weather was great but I really did miss the seasons. (My Dad worked on the ABM radar, way back in the 60's.) Was a great experience, especially as a kid, but I wouldn't want to live there permanently. The island was only 6-8 feet above sea level, about a couple of miles long, and a 1/4. mile wide. Half of it was a runway, nearby was a (live) missile silo, the rest was housing, school, a commissary and movie theater. Kind of limiting, as an adult, a total playground as a kid. Be kind of tough to get machines out there... I'd shudder to think what that would cost - and how long it would take.

I'm used to the New England area, having grown up here, but I'm no longer tied here. Might move sometime after things settle out a bit. (I've traveled, so I know there's lots of nice places one could live.) At this point wouldn't consider California, primarily due to the inflated cost of housing there. If you are grandfathered in there, you don't take the beating on housing cost. When I would visit on business, I'd hear about the crazy arrangements people had for affording housing there. I wouldn't subject my family to that. (Crazy long commutes, or terrible accommodations.) But, I have to admit the climate is very pleasant. Been in CA for a mild earthquake, just chandeliers swaying and a little shaking, but it made a big impression on me. Not my favorite thing, but I'm sure I'd get used to the little stuff. All I need to do is win the PowerBall to move there...
Not granfathered, but father left 1/3 of a home (other thirds were my sister and the bank) so much easier to afford living here. Also didn't hurt we lived out of state a couple of decades with the wife making Cali wages.

I'm a 15 minute walk to the ocean and 15 minute drive to work so I consider it an ideal situation, but I realize how lucky I am....
Also got to grow up in the SF Bay area before it got crazy, used to ride motorcycles in the hills and steal cherries from the orchards surrounding Hewlet Packard. Was a pretty good place to grow up but very different now.

Last New Years Eve we visited friends in Tahoe and got 3+ feet of snow in the 4 days we were there, like being able to visit it but come back home to 50 degree lows and motorcycling year round.

I'm happy our daughter is a successful engineer climbing the ladder in her field so she'll probably be able to afford a home when she's ready (San Diego, so even harder than here in some ways). I don't envy the kids anywhere these days, every place with opportunity is hard to afford even for those with education.

Travel is wonderful, helps you appreciate what you have and plan for the future if you're going to make a change eventually....

John

We are not likely to get anything from this storm. Barely cold enough for snow even now.

@matthewsx
John, by grandfathered, I simply meant there was some kind of in or previous earlier investment, or inheritance. Coming in, from out of town, and buying into CA real estate is just plain expensive, compared to other regions of the country (or world).

Travel is a wonderful thing, as it broadens your horizons, and teaches you there are many ways to think about things, not just one way. Some of those ways can be quite surprising, and are often cultural. It's kind of like learning about machining - there's often many ways to do things, some easier than others, but rarely only one way.

Bruce

We are not likely to get anything from this storm. Barely cold enough for snow even now.
Interesting.
Although it is 34F now, tomorrow's high here will only be 32F, Sunday morning 12AM, and cooling off during the day, (24F at 5:30pm Sunday,) which is more than enough to be all snow.

Back