Slip Roller

Great discussion...

Indeed, I never planned to have a vertical oven and instead, the internal rack was made very strong, "perfectly" level and out of 308 SS which has really good resilience to repeated heat cycles. I acknowledge that most big industrial ovens are vertical.

A big contributing factor in one of the parts being bowed, is likely due to using hot-rolled stock without normalizing or stress relieving prior to machining. I've also learned that, in addition to using stress-relieved stock, keeping the parts cool/cold during the machining process will ultimately yield nearly distortion-free parts once heat treated. In this case, no coolant could be used but, with KoolMist and normal carbide cutting -even heavy cutting, parts never gets above room temperature and in most cases, are actually cold due to the evaporation process. In times past, I've machined parts, heat treated them and had miniscule amounts of distortion.

Another thought I had is the part bowed when I lifted it off the rack using the stainless safety wire. It's common for parts to stick a little and one particular shaft was no exception. I had to give the wire a good tug to break it's adhesion. I might actually have caused the problem at that time but, since they're identical, I have no idea which one put up a fuss. The other two lifted off easily. I could have avoided the whole problem by lifting the entire rack and dunking it. Well... This is just too hard to do safely given the tight quarters and furthermore, my storage and dunk tanks are 10 gallons and too shallow to dunk the whole rack in.

These parts were laid in horizontally and were submerged and rested atop a heavy piece of perforated sheet wire in a heartbeat. Once again, the quenching solution worked great. No boiling and just a tiny amount of fine "soda bubbles" being generated. -Was really happy about that...

My biggest learning experience here... I should have hardened the shafts first -and then cut them down to size using ceramic inserts. -That's likely the whole reason for using ceramic inserts in the first place. I was still thinking "old-school" process while having at hand, new technology tools...

EDIT: BTW, I acknowledge that dunking in the quench vertically is probably a better way to go. The instant a part hits that cold solution, it starts to contract. Dunking vertically would mitigate a horizontal bowing effect for sure. In the case of these parts, my only way to address that was to literally drop the parts in the tank -which I did but for all I know, it wasn't the cure.

Ray

Last edited:
No harm done but, I must say, this typical of what happens when I'm not focusing on my work and fiddling-around with video cameras...

Ray, thanks for the nice orientation of the videos :biggrin:
You must suggest Matt to add an integrated camera to the machines, so you (and many others) don't have to mind to videos :)

Ray, thanks for the nice orientation of the videos :biggrin:
You must suggest Matt to add an integrated camera to the machines, so you (and many others) don't have to mind to videos :)

LOL: All the high-end CNC machines have video inspection with recording capability. It's available as an option on most intermediate production machines.

The real issue with holding a video camera is that these are "live-runs" of "one-off" pieces and in such cases, the other hand needs to be on/near the pendant ready to hit the panic button. In most of those videos, the pendant was held between my knees so I could slap the panic button with minimal delay. Also, in order for my voice to be heard, I have to hold the iphone with my fingers cupped in a way to shield the noise and guide my vocal sound waves toward the speaker. -Kind of a juggling act that I got tired of and that's why you can't hear me on the last video. Just so you know, anything can happen at any time with CNC -especially so with Mach 3 involved. It's a reasonable controller and the price is right but (as with most software) has only earned my partial respect for being reliable and trustworthy.

A while ago, I had a batch of 150 parts; each taking 1 hour to complete. In that case, a routine was established, making it amenable to take videos. Unfortunately, it was a proprietary part and cannot be displayed publicly... In any event, I found it best to restart Mach 3 after every 5 runs. No serious issue have arisen but, it seems that after 5 hours of regular use, loading/unloading code, jogging the table, setting offsets... -it gets quirky.

I think video work is best done with a better camera and camera operator -but I'm apprehensive in tackling that right now. I love my machine work -and I can't say that about videography.

Ray

Marco, You have given me an idea. I may build a bracket for my HF inspection camera probe, it has video out capability and low enough resolution that the file sizes should not be too large. I also have some small industrial cameras, and I guess a web cam would work also. Maybe mounted on a mag base:think1:

In any event, I found it best to restart Mach 3 after every 5 runs. No serious issue have arisen but, it seems that after 5 hours of regular use, loading/unloading code, jogging the table, setting offsets... -it gets quirky.

Ray

Your experience with Mach3 is much better than mine, but it could have been the computer I was using. Windows is a pretty sucky system for real time processing anyway, so I'm surprised Mach3 works at all.

LOL: All the high-end CNC machines have video inspection with recording capability. It's available as an option on most intermediate production machines.

I think hobbyists would like that, too, and I'm so sure of this that I don't even launch a poll :biggrin:
(But hobbyists also would like to build their own camera support :lmao:)

I think video work is best done with a better camera and camera operator -but I'm apprehensive in tackling that right now. I love my machine work -and I can't say that about videography.

Ray

Surely every distraction while working (cell phone, nice girls, funny posts on H-M, etc.) is dangerous.
A camera operator, however, is even more dangerous, because you have to look for your safety (and you know what to do) and his safety (and generally operators don't have shop experience).
Get a good and tall Manfrotto tripod, make a sturdy stand for your iPhone and have fun!

Marco, You have given me an idea. I may build a bracket for my HF inspection camera probe, it has video out capability and low enough resolution that the file sizes should not be too large. I also have some small industrial cameras, and I guess a web cam would work also. Maybe mounted on a mag base:think1:

A web cam is almost "disposable", since the prince is not too high: look for some "new old stock" Logitech, like the C210, which was pretty good, and don't be ashamed to buy the pink version if the price is lower :whistle:
I don't know how much vibration is generated by a machine (hypothetically none), but long brackets could be sensible, if they are not rigid enough.

Hey, it works. We can make circles now!

I just pressed on the roller by hand and used a big screwdriver to temporarily turn the roller. The piece of aluminum strip was 0.1" thick and the wire was a piece of SS safety wire. Oh, and I've decided what to do if one hand crank is not enough... I'll put another crank on a different roller on the other side.

Now I just need to make a base and drill/tap the holes for the pressure screws.

TestRun.JPG

Ray

TestRun.JPG

Nice job, Ray!
Anyway I think a part of the merit goes to the lubricant in the orange cup, too… :biggrin:

Nice job, Ray!
Anyway I think a part of the merit goes to the lubricant in the orange cup, too… :biggrin:
I love that lubricant, I use that same stuff by the pot full daily. I really wouldn't be much good without it!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Back