Slip Roller

Nice job Ray. Those are the best kind of projects, the ones that don't cost much, and yours turned out fantastic.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Mike.

Thanks for sharing. Very nice looking roller.
It's impressive that you could role such a thick piece of material.
I was concerned that it wouldn't pull such a heavy piece through without all three rollers driving.

I have the same trouble with the vise... Keep getting my fingers pinched. :)

Ray

Wifey's dad spent 35 years cursing his vise because the handle procured him blood blisters.
But he didn't use the Internet to discover good tricks like this one I applied after the first blood blister…

no_more_blood_blisters.jpg

Well, the shafts are done with no immolation of self or property... I wanted to take pictures or videos but seriously, cutting with ceramic is nothing to play games with and it's just too distracting. I was quite busy making sure nothing was going up in flames. I cover the ways with stainless foil, wear a welding jacket and of course full face protection. I clip a piece of thin plywood over the handwheel and carriage lever -and still, I got one nice little burn (but not too bad). The chips coming off are white-hot and make melted spots in the stainless foil.

It's worth it though, have a look.

BTW, whenever I heat treat a part that cannot itself be tested, I toss in a reference/control piece of the same material. The piece used today was the same diameter as the bearing shoulder on the shaft and about 1" long. It tested-out at RC 53 and I'm guessing the larger pieces (probably) came out between 49-51.

Note that the KoolMist is not pointed at the part. You should not use coolant with ceramic bits. The tips turn orange hot and a drop of water would probably blow them up.

... They ring like a bell for 30 seconds. My son's girlfriend is kinda "artsy/musical" and I swear, she was driving me nuts tapping on them for 30 minutes...

Ray

Ray, lots of interesting info in this thread, can you expand a little on the ceramic inserts? I assume they need a very rigid lathe and some horsepower, what sort of sfm, feed and.doc do they take, and are they positive/neutral/negative rake etc?

Thanks, Dave H.

Thanks for sharing. Very nice looking roller.
It's impressive that you could role such a thick piece of material.
I was concerned that it wouldn't pull such a heavy piece through without all three rollers driving.

So far, I've found it best to put the piece all the way in then pinch it to near the desired curvature then, start cranking back and forward. It does lose traction and requires a gloved hand to feed/tug on the piece but generally speaking, it works. A couple iterations of this and it makes a good circle.

There are indeed better designs and I could draw it up if you want but, I needed this this thing fast and I used it all day yesterday. It worked, the pieces are made and already fedex'd to the customer. If at some point in the future, I need a more universal design, the rollers, bearings, hand-crank and base are all still re-usable. ... just need to re-design the two side plates. I just didn't have time for that in this case.

Ray

Ray, lots of interesting info in this thread, can you expand a little on the ceramic inserts? I assume they need a very rigid lathe and some horsepower, what sort of sfm, feed and.doc do they take, and are they positive/neutral/negative rake etc?

Thanks, Dave H.

Any machine that can competently turn with carbide can be used. The orange/white hot chips can be a hazard and caution (precaution) is necessary. Protect yourself and the machine. Clean-up any standing pools of oil, sweep the area for anything combustible. Recommend full face protection (not just goggles).

Normal chips are hot, they land on us and we don't flinch. These chips will cause instant nasty burns -the kind that are likely to distract even a seasoned operator and possibly lead to a machine crash. (no, it didn't happen to me but, I can see how easily it could happen).

Everything I know/learned about ceramic turning is found in these two links. I also have some inserts from Tungaloy and they work well too.

http://www.greenleafglobalsupport.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category_10001_10001_-1_10075_10062

http://www.greenleafglobalsupport.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TechnicalData_10001_10001_-1

Ray

... Pretty sure this was mentioned before but it's worth repeating. Do no use ceramic on unhardened material below Rockwell 45C or, you'll ruin a $15 insert in a matter of moments. Also, do not use coolant.

Ray

I hope all of you experienced machinists out there like Ray who take the time to share with us others have some idea what that means to us. I'm not quite sure how to express it other than thank you. I would be reinventing the wheel for years to come were it not for your sharing. Nice slip roller by the way!:))

I hope all of you experienced machinists out there like Ray who take the time to share with us others have some idea what that means to us. I'm not quite sure how to express it other than thank you. I would be reinventing the wheel for years to come were it not for your sharing. Nice slip roller by the way!:))

LEEQ... Thanks for the nice works. It's appreciated.

Let me set the record straight and retract myself from the ranks of experienced machinist. I think it requires a different path and level of ability to be called that. I only classify myself as someone who works with metal using a variety of tools -and I just figure things out as I go...

Ray

Back