Show Us Your Welding Projects!

Nice work. Looks like it would hold up a phone booth in addition to the cell phone. Mike

Had a small production run of 15 carts over the past couple days. It had been some time since I built a batch but a few years ago we where crancking out 300-350 units per year for several years. Normally, a production run would be 60 units at a time but homeland security funding has dried up resulting in slow sales. Anyway, our inventory was depleted and another batch was started.

The dedicated jig table is used for building four out of five components in three different models we offer. The cool part is the compact overall size of the rolling jig table and the fact that all the individual pieces to be welded are pulled from said table in the correct position from support brackets and shelving. The main top plate is 3/4" and to simply look at the table , one would think its scrap.

This is the main frame jigged up for welding. The two long 1"x1" has to be loaded a certain way with seams down and the left rail has two extra holes for the indexing pin on the telescoping feature of the cart. Every thing is pulled from the cart itself for welding, so no wasted movement grabbing parts. The end piece is 3/8" x 1" flat bar welded to 14 ga.
The top cross members are 1/4" x 1" flat bar and keep the spine board centered when loading a patient. This is repeated until all main frames are complete.
IMG_0114.JPG
The other end of the table is the axel jig and can be adapted for larger axels via threaded holes allowing bolting of secondary jigs. In this demonstration, we are building axels for 10" wheels (urban model). Axels are 5/8" CR welded to 3/4"x 3" sleeves welded to pre-bent 1/4"x1" flat bar.
IMG_0097.JPG
This part of the jig table is used to weld up the support feet (components only). This shares the same area of the jig used for the main frame with added stops for the 3/8"x 1" flat bar.
IMG_0124.JPG
Main frames cleaned up and ready for the individual components (axels and support feet).
IMG_0127.JPG
Individual jigs are used to index the feet and axel and are used at the same time to complete the main frame.
The finished frames are then loaded onto a transport fixture that can carry 40 frames to the powder coaters for sand blasting and finish. Making unloading with a fork lift a breeze.
IMG_0132.JPG
The handle bars require fairly close bending to fit into a dedicated jig for welding a cross member and drilling 5/16" holes for the rotating feature of the bars.
My son has returned from the military and has been by my side for the entire batch. I cut him loose on the bandsaw, de-burring station, and bender.
IMG_0119.JPG
A small level is used when flipping the 12 ga. x 1" round tubbing for secondary bending.
IMG_0123.JPG
The handel bar jig allows for clamping these awkward pieces for welding and drilling. Drill bushings are used for all seven required holes per cart. No measuring required for any holes. A secondary de-burring operation is required when drilling all holes except the handle bars. A s/s push pin is used for the telescoping feature of the cart so no burrs can exist in the inside of the tubing. A Burr-Zit cutter is used for this after drilling all holes eliminating the small outside and inside burrs that drilling leaves behind.
IMG_0129.JPG
The double drill bushing ensure a straight and centered hole and is the only holes drilled by hand.
IMG_0130.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The toe plates are cut from 1/8" x 7" flat strap and are notched on iron worker shear and de-burred prior to breaking on the manual press. Once all pieces are bent they get loaded on the main frame jig for welding. Two 3/4" square tubing are welded to the toe plate, the left tubing has a hole close to the end for the s/s push pin.
IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG
The entire package ready for loading for the trip to the paint shop.
IMG_0244.JPG
Over all it took 21 hours from start to finish, thats making individual components from raw materials. This was the first batch made in the new shop and it was nice having the room for multiple tasks. This was also the first time I had help from start to finish and I could not be prouder of my sons help. He stepped up every step of the way and jumped in any time I grimaced from shoulder pain. I'm gonna miss his help when he gets re-employed, but for now just enjoy his company and shop development.
Yes, he made some decent money on the project.
This is what the product will look like once assembled ad ready for shipping. The RescuExpress litter is in the stowed position. The toe plate is retracted and the handle bars rotate 180º for a wheel barrel feel. The end user can carry unto 700 lbs as the center of gravity works well. Check out my web page @ RescuExpress.com for more specification and video. We've been making these since 2003 and have over 1700 units in service across the US and Canada.
IMG_0103.JPG
I wanted to share a small insight into home production. These 15 carts will probably last me into next year and get crated in groups of five for sale and kept in a sea container.
Thanks for looking
Turn and burn!
Paco

Very Nice units Paco , did you develop these units / companie from the start ? , nice gig.

Thank you sir,

Yes, I developed the prototype and sold the first 12 units to start the patent funding. The first ones where hand built and hand bent and shot with corvette yellow paint. The whole endeavor was challenging for me as I continued to work my normal career. I was $26k in the hole the first year as attorneys fees, testing fees etc. where killing me but after entering the EMS expo in Las Vegas (another $12K for three days) sales went crazy and I found entire states buying groups of 60-80 units.
I then made a deal with a single buyer (Disaster Response Solutions) and they buy them in groups of five. He continues to attend shows and expos as he provides entire turn key trailers,pulling rigs etc. completely loaded for disaster response. He also has them in the government (GSA) listings. He puts a ton of time in advertising and selling so its been nice for me as I'm a worker bee.
I realized something during this past run. When I first started building these I didn't need cheaters (reading glasses) and now I can't weld without them so it has been a long run.
Many of the machines you see in our work space are a result of reinvesting as I know this too will pass like any good thing. So we are now more versatile and offer more metal working services. I really love working with my hands and mind and god willing, I will continue for as long as I can.
I hope to inspire as many folks to achieve their dreams as I have had great inspiration from others and continue to learn and grow. My book is more than half closed, but I look forward to another day.
I should also add, my wife has been by my side and can assemble a unit in under 8 min. She takes care of all paper work associated with a" C" corp. and always encouraged me to follow my passions. I have not been alone in this.
Take care,
Paco

Nice, I'm sure emergency responce equipment will become more in demand ,as the world is getting out of control / stupid, have you considered useing chromoly as waight reduction ?.

Thank you sir,

Yes, I developed the prototype and sold the first 12 units to start the patent funding. The first ones where hand built and hand bent and shot with corvette yellow paint. The whole endeavor was challenging for me as I continued to work my normal career. I was $26k in the hole the first year as attorneys fees, testing fees etc. where killing me but after entering the EMS expo in Las Vegas (another $12K for three days) sales went crazy and I found entire states buying groups of 60-80 units.

Paco

Have you thought about some sort of a hitch, so it could be pulled by a little four wheeler? I could see that being an advantage out west here.

Nice web site.

Nice, I'm sure emergency responce equipment will become more in demand ,as the world is getting out of control / stupid, have you considered useing chromoly as waight reduction ?.
The unit comes in at 53 lbs, and is limited by the carefree tires to 700 lb. carry capacity and not approved for towing as per testing/certification. Building the litters from chromoly would drive up the cost up too much and double or triple the manufacture time. I really don't see much more demand with whats already out there and homeland security funding drying out. Other markets for this product might be the mining industry but MSHA is even more stifling than OSHA.

The load will be ready for pick up this Friday, I'll post up some assembly photos and crating shots as well. Thanks for the questions and interest, always good to get feedback.
Paco

Back