Show Us Your Welding Projects!

Well, it was time to do a bolt bin up-grade. The one I had was a yellow commercial oversize unit that served its purpose very well. But, with Craig's List you can now do some serious organizing. I found this 100 drawer unit with dividers and couldn't pass up the deal. I decided it couldn't sit on the floor and now was an opportunity to organize my threaded rod supply as well. I made a three bin rack as part of the stand. I think it turned out pretty well. Here is my starting and ending pics of the fun.

Let's see your creations.

View attachment 78443 View attachment 78444 View attachment 78445 View attachment 78446 View attachment 78447 View attachment 78448 View attachment 78449 View attachment 78450 View attachment 78451

I am stealing your rod rack idea!

20160602_162909.jpg 20160602_162710.jpg 20160605_171903.jpg

A gate job that I just finished. The customer wanted some sports team logos cut out and attached.

The pics of the emblems are after I applied the copper patina.

Last edited:
Looking at some of the work you guys have done makes me wanna sell my equipment and take up knitting! Some big talent here.

I really need a plasma cam.

Ok. Let me whip out my credit card.

Haha! Have you looked at the Lincoln Torchmate? They make from 2x2 on up. Looks pretty skookum.

I just looked them up. They are cute.

A little repair job I did about a week and a half ago. I had a hitch adapter to repair for myself and one for a client so I thought I would knock them out.

I have repaired about a dozen hitches and ball mounts in this manner now over the past 10 or so years and they have held up extremely well although they are a bit time consuming to do so if you have to take them to a shop to have done, it may not be cost effective. It is a common issue to have the hitch pin holes elongate over time (mostly miles).

Hitch pin clearance in elongated pin hole.
148kcol.jpg

Some 1" 8620 I had on the shelf.
htd3ba.jpg

I used a 1" diameter sleeve with .625" hole drilled to accept a standard hitch pin, actually slightly bored out a few thousandths more. I then chamfered the sleeve to accept a weld bead yet be flush with the surrounding stinger. I then bored the elongated hole out to .998" so it would be an interference fit into the stinger before welding using some 309L stainless steel TIG rod. I like the 309 due to the slightly different composition material but also because it gives a slightly better elongation characteristics that seem to hold up better to the shock loads present on the hitches when in use.

Machining the sleeve as well as the side bushings/reducers for the receiver part of the hitch. I have the steel chucked up in my new 5C collet chuck on the lathe.
vyplyc.jpg

Picture of the sleeve pressed in and TIG welded.
167p1sk.jpg

Couple pictures of the first pass around the reducer.
eju5fs.jpg

2d7a4h4.jpg

Couple pictures of the cover pass with a slight weave to increase the size of the fillet.
2vnnjvl.jpg

2s8gruq.jpg

All in all a pretty straightforward repair but it give a lot more surface area for the hitch pin to spread the load over.

Mike.

Back