Show Us your Welders!

Hi Bob; I am not too practiced running aluminum in the mig but I do know that they make a Teflon whip liner to replace your standard issue coiled steel liner when you are using aluminum. Offers less drag, I guess. I know that they are available for the Lincoln MigPaks anyway.

Thanks Jon, yes I'm familiar with the teflon liner, and Cigweld do have one available for my machine, and I may yet have to go that way. Unfortubately, I'm told, that it does not completely eliminate the problem of birdnesting. I would still prefer the spoolgun as the easiest and best solution, but if not available , then, needs must, the teflon liner will maybe have to do.

Thanks Jon, yes I'm familiar with the teflon liner, and Cigweld do have one available for my machine, and I may yet have to go that way. Unfortubately, I'm told, that it does not completely eliminate the problem of birdnesting. I would still prefer the spoolgun as the easiest and best solution, but if not available , then, needs must, the teflon liner will maybe have to do.

You may be less than impressed with the teflon liner setup. A few things to consider......keep the lead very straight, use U-groove drive rolls, small diameter wires are a nogo and 4043......forget it......not enough column strength to be pushed that far. 5356 does have a bit more column strength and may help with feeding issues. I have had some success feeding aluminum this way by enlarging the contact tip slightly. This can reduce drag when things heat up.

OK, I'll play too!

I don't weld a lot so this first pic is the usual configuration of the 'welding corner' - the machines are behind all this stuff in the foreground - the surface grinder (which I also don't use much and needs to be re-positioned somewhere, but where?), the bandsaw, turret punch, finger brake and shear. You can just see a bit of the stick welder cable hung over the window behind the white shrouded object - that's a clue!

View attachment 126488

So I moved all the camouflage away from the corner to reveal most of the welding machines: A Lincoln Idealarc 250 (the classic roundtop I learned on at night school), a Miller 180 Syncrowave on top of it, the plasma cutter to the right and the welding table (with a Lincoln 100 and Miller spot welder hiding underneath) on the right. The welding table is a rollaround that also carries an assortment of filler material and stick welding rods. All of this stuff is situated near the door so I can do most of the smoky, sparky welding outside - and also near the power panel.

View attachment 126489

There isn't room for the mig welder with the others, so it lives under the workbench on the other side of the shop. I set the height of the workbench to allow exactly enough clearance for the CO2 cylinder to slip under there.

View attachment 126490

This mig is a Miller 250 - which I eventually figured out was Miller's 'orphan' machine - they quickly came out with an improved version (the 251) that runs and starts better - oh well, someday I'll change to a better machine - maybe it'll be red instead of blue?

View attachment 126491

And of course, the usual assortment of Oxy-Acetylene stuff that I forgot to photograph.

If you're wondering, it took about 3 minutes to clear the equipment from in front of the welding corner - and it gave me a chance to sweep the floor for the first time in several months. I leave clearance space in front of the machines and I can actually get to the welders with all the other equipment in front of them - I just couldn't take the picture!

Stu

I have a Millermatic 250, not the "X" version I thought it just wasn't a very good machine until I figured out to change the rusty wire spool. I also have one of those Lincoln "tombstone" welders somebody gave to me, I'll have to fire it up someday.

I've lost two oxy/acetylene setups over the years, the last one went with my shop when I sold it because the buyer wanted me to throw it in. The one that really hurts though is the set-up my dad used to build his airplane, that one was on a cart he welded up himself.

Cheers,

John

Sorry, it's actually a 150, gets the job done though!

Welder.jpeg

My Miller AC/DC 220 and the Hypertherm Powermax XP 45 will arrive on Wednesday.
There is a spot on the bottom of the cart.
That covers, Mig, AC/DC Tig, Stick, Plasma-gouging, clean cutting etc.
Love it.IMG_3297 (3).JPG

My Millermatic 130. Works well for my needs.
I want a small TIG welder tho. Looking at an Everlast in the near future.
2b94459e457440d58c305458c79a6679.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave,
Not sure how much Tig welding you plan on doing but I bought one of these a couple years ago, https://www.amazon.com/PRIMEWELD-TIG225X-Stick-Welder-Warranty/dp/B07BXHRBQ8 and for what it cost I'm very impressed with it. I have had Dynasty 300 DX for years and wanted something for up to our cabin to be able to makes repairs without having to call someone and pay big bucks for something I could do myself. I'm not knocking Miller at all they make a nice product, I just didn't want to spend huge dollars on a welder that might get used a half dozen times a year. At 225 Amps it easily does 1/4 inch aluminum, and has a very smooth arc, the H.F. isn't quite as strong as a Dynasty but is sufficient to get the job done. Three year warranty and customer service if needed I have heard is excellent.
Pete

My Millermatic 130. Works well for my needs.
I want a small TIG welder tho. Looking at an Everlast in the near future.
2b94459e457440d58c305458c79a6679.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ave

Dave,
Not sure how much Tig welding you plan on doing but I bought one of these a couple years ago, https://www.amazon.com/PRIMEWELD-TIG225X-Stick-Welder-Warranty/dp/B07BXHRBQ8 and for what it cost I'm very impressed with it. I have had Dynasty 300 DX for years and wanted something for up to our cabin to be able to makes repairs without having to call someone and pay big bucks for something I could do myself. I'm not knocking Miller at all they make a nice product, I just didn't want to spend huge dollars on a welder that might get used a half dozen times a year. At 225 Amps it easily does 1/4 inch aluminum, and has a very smooth arc, the H.F. isn't quite as strong as a Dynasty but is sufficient to get the job done. Three year warranty and customer service if needed I have heard is excellent.
Pete
Thanks Pete, I think I saw those while searching for an aluminum capable TIG.
I'd like to have aluminum capability without breaking the bank. Thanks for the positive referral!

My favorite type of welding is oxyacetylene. I have medium and heavy duty Victor torches. I like brazing even better!

IMG_7528.JPG

My second favorite type of welding is stick (except for the E4043 electrodes). This is a Miller Thunderbolt 210 and it does not run E6010.

IMG_7539.JPG

Last edited:
Back