Show Off You Ars

Thank you. :)

Like I said, I'm not sure what I want to with the AR-15 yet. I need to do more reading about this 300 blackout I keep hearing about.
Started off as the 115 grain 300 Whisperer subsonic round for use with a short barrel and a silencer in urban warfare the 300 Blackout is the same cartridge loaded for sonic velocities, still best with a short barrel, good at shot ranges up to 75 or 100 yard. the brass is a swagged .223, all same as .223 except the barrel.

I thought about one of these but then decided if I was going to build a 30 caliber I would build a DPMS .308 AR10 Variant with a Precision Ballistics 20" barrel, for shooting 150 to 200 grain projectiles. I would like accuracy to 500 yard, 1000 if I can get it. I also keep thinking a DPMS .45 raptor might happen some day, 280 grains in a .45 caliber good to 100 to 150 yards.... I am building the Rifle version, not a carbine...

If King Solomon told me I could only keep one rifle out of my safe, it would be the Armalite. I have the Hakko made/Armalite branded 4x QD scope, it really belongs there.

I've spent a bit of time sketching and head scratching about copying the mechanics into a pistol caliber upper. After shooting CMMG and JP carbines (they are nice but offer a very small margin over a tuned blowback carbine), I was building steam to do the project until the state dropped a ban on us last year. It's funny, I used to think I had my whole life to work on gun projects- no rush, do it right, get the good materials, pick up tooling here and there as it appears. Now I am not sure if this part of the hobby will exist in 5 years.
Federal judge slapped down the ATF frame and receiver rule a week or 2 ago.... My rule of thumb is do not buy things which look like something that the NFA bans, i.e. short guns that are called pistols with a "brace" that are not well defined on legal paper. Sorry guys, those look like a short barreled rifle to me and I am against the SBR rules. I figure as bad as the gun control folks are those will be the first things they go after (low hanging fruit). ATF "says" oh yeah those are okay, 10 years go by then "NOPE" those are SBR's and they write a new rule (Constitutional issue here) and give a very short time for folks to react and presto 40 million new felons are minted from thin air who once caught will never be able to legally own a fire arm again as a convicted felon.

I settled on 7.62x39 for the close stuff. I didn't want to be asking around the campfire for who has 45 Raptor when SHTF. Figure that won't be an issue with the surplus russian out there.

Of course, to me, SHTF is just for fun. I wouldn't take the apocalypse very seriously if it actually came. I'd probably die early on, as slow as I run these days.

I actually love wildcats, I just wouldn't dignify another AR build with one. Mag-fed semis shouldn't ever be asked to shoot expensive cartridges!

The decision to allow braces was a huge red flag (or red herring?) when it happened, and I never got near one. I've been privy to the contents of the NFA for a long time, and that never sat right with me. Too much like a trap- should a trap ever need to be fabricated to accomplish some other man's ends, it's already been conveniently laid out.

Started off as the 115 grain 300 Whisperer subsonic round for use with a short barrel and a silencer in urban warfare the 300 Blackout is the same cartridge loaded for sonic velocities, still best with a short barrel, good at shot ranges up to 75 or 100 yard. the brass is a swagged .223, all same as .223 except the barrel.

I thought about one of these but then decided if I was going to build a 30 caliber I would build a DPMS .308 AR10 Variant with a Precision Ballistics 20" barrel, for shooting 150 to 200 grain projectiles. I would like accuracy to 500 yard, 1000 if I can get it. I also keep thinking a DPMS .45 raptor might happen some day, 280 grains in a .45 caliber good to 100 to 150 yards.... I am building the Rifle version, not a carbine...
I recently built this for mid-range shooting (300-500m)

9C9BCB60-3556-4A94-954B-1D01FAD65618_1_201_a.jpeg

This is for closer in stuff. Both are 308 and primarily intended for SD, not hunting

55C06636-4874-45B9-B53E-E87069FDB6DE_4_5005_c.jpeg

ohhh... I miss my G3 paratrooper. After some years in the Army and two combat tours, I felt like I didn't need black rifles anymore, so I sold off... a lot. None do is miss as much as the HK. It was expensive to shoot 20 years ago when Argentine surplus was $5/20 rd mag, now it would come at a completely pretarded cost to feed. Just glad I kept my Costa Mesa and my "18th Infantry arms room parts gun".

I recently built this for mid-range shooting (300-500m)

View attachment 453622

This is for closer in stuff. Both are 308 and primarily intended for SD, not hunting

View attachment 453623
Nice! I have several guns that will reach out to 400 and 500 yards; but none that would be great for a zombie apocalypse so I am building a .308 similar to your mid range gun. I have an 8mm bolt gun and a 30-06 semi that will get the job done and 30 Cal Carbine for closer work, but I would not make any of these a goto Zombie apocalypse gun if I have other options. Oh and a 5.56....

I would like to own a .338 Lapua Mag, I have been looking at a Benelli rifle, I just haven't pulled the trigger yet...

If the zombie apocalypse occurs and I am using a piston I have screwed up bad...

I settled on 7.62x39 for the close stuff. I didn't want to be asking around the campfire for who has 45 Raptor when SHTF. Figure that won't be an issue with the surplus russian out there.

Of course, to me, SHTF is just for fun. I wouldn't take the apocalypse very seriously if it actually came. I'd probably die early on, as slow as I run these days.

I actually love wildcats, I just wouldn't dignify another AR build with one. Mag-fed semis shouldn't ever be asked to shoot expensive cartridges!

The decision to allow braces was a huge red flag (or red herring?) when it happened, and I never got near one. I've been privy to the contents of the NFA for a long time, and that never sat right with me. Too much like a trap- should a trap ever need to be fabricated to accomplish some other man's ends, it's already been conveniently laid out.
Well, there is no surplus Russian ammo. The Russian stuff is drying up as fast as it can and prices are going up. Serbia is about to invade Kosovo ...again...and shup off ammo sales to the world. Serbiamakes a LOT of ammo under a variety of names. The were practically giving away Russian 5.45 years ago and its getting really hard to find now for AK-74 style guns.

Glad to see this thread alive again. I think the 300 BKO/300 Whisper etc. is a little misunderstood. I love mine but I only shoot heavy subs in it. Not for the performance so much (which is great) but because some 300 ammo will chamber and fire in the 5.56/223 barrels and the results ain't pretty. The heavier bullets' profile keeps it from chambering in the 5.56 barrel. Since both 5.56 and 300 fit and feed from 5.56 mags, it's easy to confuse the two.

That said, the 300 works best from a short (10 -12 inch) barrel with a pistol length gas system. I used a 16 incher for years but jumped at the NFA amnesty bait last month and registered a 10.5 incher. With the can it will be my go to critter getter.

And I've come real close to building an HK/Cetme/G3 clone many times but just haven't found the proper push to grab a kit. Like the AR180 fans, the HK pattern seems to have a loyal following.

Let us know how the Eotech works out. I never had issues fielding their gear in mechanized infantry. Curious if you get parallax shift with the magnifier.

Back