• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Show Off You Ars

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Rick Leslie

Active User
With the AR platform being the most popular, I though we should show off some of our favorites. Give others a look at your ideas and get some new ideas for yourself.

Rick Leslie

Active User
I'll try to start. (If I can figure out the whole 'picture posting' thing.) Here's my 300 Blackout. Assembled on a Surplus Arms lower and bargain upper. Stainless 1:8 barrel for heavier bullets. Hopefully I'll have a can on it for next deer season now that it's legal to hunt with 'em here in Georgia.
IMG_20140309_135120482_HDR.jpg IMG_20140309_135132807_HDR.jpg

Rick Leslie

Active User
Here's my 357 AR Rimless. For some history and development details, check this out. http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=28383.0

This one is also built on a Surplus Arms lower. Turned the barrel from a blank and used the reamer and gauges in the link above. Haven't decided on a brake yet. Still have to make the brass and modify the feed ramps and mags.

IMG_20151115_191630562_HDR[1].jpg IMG_20151115_191651891_HDR[1].jpg

Rick Leslie

Active User
And this is my hodge podge pawn shop find. Hesse lower (I know, I know...) and unknown other stuff. Got a deal because no one could find a mag that fit. Uses modified FAL metric mags. Shoots like a dream.

DSCF7356.JPG DSCF7357.JPG DSCF7359.JPG

dave2176

Active User
I for one would like to read more about them. Things like barrel length, gas block location, optic. Any specific reason you selected some piece of it? They all look great.
Dave

Rick Leslie

Active User
Thank you. Price was one of the main deciding factors. Mine will (hopefully) never be called on to survive rugged terrain or harsh desert heat, but they're no safe queens either. I use them and don't worry about scratches or bumps or dings. When price is close I go for the better quality, but I can't see paying $250 for a railed handguard when a $70 unit will serve my purposes.

Once I determine what type of configuration (carbine, rifle, etc.) I then start looking at what works best with that configuration. You don't want aa 6-24 power scope on a carbine, nor a red dot on a long range rifle. After that I shop price. And lastly, it has to look cool. ;)

One final word of caution: Beware of the pistols. They are fairly useless but I have to have some regardless. I can't help it. Once you start, it's like there's no turning back.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
These are the only two I own (at the moment). The first is my AR-10 in 7.62 set up for short range, and the second is a Bushmaster (pawn shop find) in 5.56. I haven't decided what to do with the Bushmaster yet. One of my favorite all-around rifle cartridges is 300 Win Mag.. Can't afford an Omen, but I sure would like to have a AR-10 like platform chambered in that. Anyone designed up a receiver yet? :)

IMG_0643.jpg
IMG_0644.jpg

Rick Leslie

Active User
Very nice! Those look like high quality options on the AR10.

There's a vendor that sells a lot of kit stuff for different firearms. Two such kits are flat metal plates that are laser cut and designed to be welded together to form a laminated AR lower. Both 5.56 and 7.62 lowers are available. http://www.theflatspot.net/

Here's the 5.56: http://www.theflatspot.net/ar-15-receiver-flat.html
And the 7.62: http://www.theflatspot.net/308-receiver-flat-dpms-style-like-ar-10.html

I've taken one of the AR10 kits and extended the mag well to take Bren mags for 06 and mag legth cartridges. It's still in the very early build and experimental stages. It's very doable if you want a 12 to 15 lb. rifle.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Thank you. :)

Like I said, I'm not sure what I want to with the AR-15 yet. I need to do more reading about this 300 blackout I keep hearing about.

dave2176

Active User
Here's a picture of my 5.56. It has a 16" barrel, 2.5-10x40 scope, the scope came with a laser, there are offset peep sites. I made the muzzle break and chambered and profiled the barrel myself from a Green Mountain blank. I included a collage of the barrel turning. WP_20151227_09_54_33_Pro.jpg

556barrel.jpg

Dave

wrat

Thank you. :)

Like I said, I'm not sure what I want to with the AR-15 yet. I need to do more reading about this 300 blackout I keep hearing about.
I don't know where this thread is gonna go, but I'm hoping it leans mostly toward hobby machining. So whatever caliber a guy chooses, the operations are all similar or identical. Chambering, crowning, threading, etc.

That little snippet of preaching over, .300AAC (or .300BLK, or .300whisper, or whatever) is, IMO, what really brings the AR15 platform home. To me, it's a perfect match.

See, the 7.62 x 39 commie round was all the rage for a while in the 80s. Heavy slug. Extra gas. Track record of reliability in a rifle that was part farm implement. So popular that the AR, Mini-14, and similar carbines tooled up for that caliber.

Then along comes .300AAC. It was initially sold incorrectly as ".30 caliber performance in an AR". It's not even close (compared to .308 - which is what most folks think of in ".30 caliber"). But it's a darned fine competitor to the commie round. Better yet in that it's not as tapered, the mags are the same. Plus, it shoots an ordinary .30cal bullet, available in a dozen sizes.

It also gives lots of people the all-over fidgets because when you find an ordinary bullet in >200grain, then it's subsonic. And subsonic is something the AR platform is woefully lacking in the .223 setup. Subsonic means suppressors and that means even more fun. So by changing only the barrel (aasy), a guy can go from long range varmint to short range silenced subgun, and everything in between, all using standard AR mags.

The other praise i'll sing about .300AAC is that it uses re-purposed .223 brass without special tooling. Shoot all the .223 you want (yes, 5.56, i know, it's just .223 is easier and quicker to type) then re-form them into .300AAC and pop in a .30cal pill of whatever size you like. All the loads are out there. All the everything is out there.

I like things simple -- or at least i say that to myself. 6.5, 6.8, and some of these other calibers are fine and have many good points. But IMO going .223 to .300 and back is pretty cool and covers an awful lot of ground. Besides, it creates the old "chips and salsa" problem with your guns and that suits me fine.

Wrat

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
I thought this forum was for guns and gunsmithing and everything pertaining to. :)

Nels: is this thread violating the intent of your forum?

EDIT: This is copied right from the main page of this forum: "Show us your gunsmithing & firearm projects and accessories here. Discuss any topics regarding gunsmithing here."

So I think we're ok. :)

Last edited:

derf

I'm not much into "black" rifles, but here's my version:
green1.jpg
forearm.jpg
The gas tube is buried under the forearm, transferring gas through a hollow collar back up to the bolt carrier.
gascollar.jpg
The screw is an adjustable gas valve.
gastube.jpg latchless.jpg
The charging handle is "latchless" and uses a ball bearing detent.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Derf, did you make these modifications? Curious as to why you routed the gas tube under the barrel?

Holescreek

Active User
Rick knows I'm not an AR guy but I have some old photos of the first one I made. The lower was machined from a forging and the stock from a block of aluminum

ARstock051109003.jpg

ARstock051109005.jpg

ARstock051109001.jpg

camping013.jpg

camping019.jpg

Attachments

Rick Leslie

Active User
These are great posts and exactly what I was hoping for. Ditto on the 300 BKO/Whisper. I built mine for all the reasons listed plus Georgia now allows suppressed hunting. So, look out Bambi!

The wood furniture is awesome! I really like the 'down under' gas system. How did you get it back up top at the barrel nut??

And yep, Holes ain't no AR guy, but you can't tell it from his work. I think he uses voodoo or magic because every time he puts a hunk of billet on a machine it turns into an incredible work of machinist artistry.

And lastly, I did't see anywhere in the thread (so far) that may violate sire rules. I'm not sure I understand.

Anyway, please keep it coming...

wrat

I'm loving these mods. Gives me fresh new ideas to get the juices going.
Okay, some of them I'll copy, but STILL.... it'll be fresh and new to me, anyway...

Wrat

derf

Derf, did you make these modifications? Curious as to why you routed the gas tube under the barrel?
My main purpose was to utilize a 2-1/2" beavertail forend. Instead of trying to attach it to the normal 2" free float tube, I needed less diameter tube for more wood. The float tube started out as a piece of 1" black iron pipe silver brazed to the barrel nut. I didn't like the idea of the gas tube being exposed, so I devised a way to run it under the float tube to protect it. The gas collar (That thing that would almost pass for a delta ring) is actually made in 2 pieces. The main piece has a circular groove cut into the face to transfer the gas to the top, then there is a cap that has been silver soldered to the front that seals it off. There is a small length of gas tube that is threaded into the back side that engages the bolt key like the standard set-up. The gas adjustment screw will seat on a taper into that tube for for a complete shut off if needed. 20ar4.jpg

The last One I built, I left the gas tube on top, but protected it with a cover made from a shelf bracket.

skeeks03

Iron
Registered Member
I had a Noveske, just recently sold it. I am in the process of building a precision AR for under 1000$. I foresee this rifle being a 1/2" MOA or better rifle. As of this moment I only have the receiver set and lower parts kit put together.
Parts list will be as follows:
Aero matched upper/lower: 120$ shipped
Joeboboutfitter LPK: $37 shipped (no trigger)
Luth-AR stock: ~$150
Buffer/Buffer tube/Spring: $30
Jard 2 1/2 lb trigger (might go with SSA-E): $165
Undecided on BCG: $100
Rifle length gas tube: 10$
15" Rail: $60-150
Specialized Dynamics 18" barrel and headspaced bolt- $300 shipped

Already have end plate, gas block, and muzzle brake for suppressor that will go on it. Also have a Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27 will sit on top of it.

n3480h

Active User
Just finished this one for my son. Built specifically for predators/prairie dogs. Fluted stainless barrel in Wylde chambering, Luth MBA-3 buttstock, DPMS vented forearm, and a few tricks. We roll our own loads . . . and they do very well.
Matt's 15.jpg
Tom

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
I've taken one of the AR10 kits and extended the mag well to take Bren mags for 06 and mag legth cartridges. It's still in the very early build and experimental stages. It's very doable if you want a 12 to 15 lb. rifle.
My AR-10 above is already over 12 lbs. so a couple more pounds won't be that noticeable to me. :)

Rick Leslie

Active User
My AR-10 above is already over 12 lbs. so a couple more pounds won't be that noticeable to me. :)
The only difference besides a little longer mag well is these lowers are all steel. Should make for a hefty rifle.

Tom, your son is a lucky guy. That's a sweet set up. Any targets to brag on?

n3480h

Active User
The only difference besides a little longer mag well is these lowers are all steel. Should make for a hefty rifle.

Tom, your son is a lucky guy. That's a sweet set up. Any targets to brag on?
Thanks Rick. No pics (so it didn't happen, lol), but we can count on 5 rounds fired semi auto at 100 yards from the bench, at around 0.4" center to center. The old man's AR (mine) does a bit better. If I weigh each load component and there's not much wind, I can do even better, but that wind condition doesn't happen often in Iowa. I just tell people that any coyote within 300-400 yards is a dead coyote. Part of the solution is that I use all Lake City brass, fire form, full length size, ream primer pockets, Remington BR primers and always use a specific weight of Varget with a 50 grain Nosler ballistic tip. Consistency pays. It took a long time and many trials to find the sweet spot, but I am very happy. Now we are thinking hard about thermal imaging $copes for some night time coyote fun.

Ow.jpg

Last edited:

Rick Leslie

Active User
Very nice. I've always said accuracy is easy. All you have to do is get everything to do exactly the same every shot. See how easy it is? :grin big:

n3480h

Active User
And here's the old man's rifle based on an Armalite lower. 20 inch HBAR chambered Wylde, low pro gas block, DPMS freefloat forearm, custom sling, trigger work, Luth MBA-1 buttstock, and topped with a Simmons 2.8-10x44 scope on an Armalite one piece mount. It's an old scope, but one of the few I've owned that would reliably dial around a 5 diamond target and return precisely to zero. Just a sweet old rifle that got a few updated parts this week.
AR-15.jpg

ScrapMetal

Active User
I made this one in 7.62 x 39 from an 80% lower last fall:

AR762_01.jpg

AR762_02.jpg

Sorry, I need to work on my photography skills a bit more. ;)

-Ron

Attachments

Cheeseking

Active User
Hey Ron how do you like the FTS magnifier? I've got a hws on my AR-10 carbine and for all intents its CQB setup. Never cared if it was super "accurate" but I'm friggin blind and thought about maybe adding the magnification to help at the range. Right now at 50 yds with the hws I may as well use the back up sights!

5 7