Show me where you keep your milling / lathe tools!

How many do you actually deploy, bolt to a bench? Are the rest kept in a glass cabinet ? ;-)

How many do you actually deploy, bolt to a bench? Are the rest kept in a glass cabinet ? ;-)
Use them all for different stuff - I move around on and off cart while garage build is happening. - throw on a large counter top

OK but the only other workshop that has 6 Wilton vises set up in catalog size order is at the North Pole...

I’m using an old first aid box to hold my lathe tool holders. The tools are easy to quickly identify since they stand out great against the white background.View attachment 472369
Indeed, a very nice contrast :encourage:

It kind of surprises me that the tool storage manufacturers don’t pay more attention to this. Let’s take Huot as an example. What comes to the build quality, I really like some of their products. But in terms of visual control, their products suck. I mean, dark gray, come on!

This is my current layout, in a bit of a disarray at the moment due to not having cleaned up in a while but should get the idea across.
For the lathe I have a small(and ugly) shelf for tailstock accessories and screwdrivers(for insert tooling).
This makes sure when I change between drill chuck and center I don't end up placing things on the table/ways.
IMG_8222.JPG

Tool holders with my most used tools are on the wall/door next to lathe.
I've moved the lathe further away from this part so I'm probably going to move these holders to either above the lathe or to the right of it.
I try to avoid having things above the lathe as any falling items can cause a big accident and they're also subjected to dirt and grease from the lathe(ie coolant/chips/stuff thrown from chuck).
IMG_8223.JPG

For my mill I have 6 ISO40 holders and various clamps on a shelf behind it. These slots are for the "currently used holders" and I empty it when I'm done with that current job.
IMG_8224.JPG

Everything then goes back to my covered storage to keep things nice and clean.
There's a second shelf(also on linear bearings) underneath that holds chucks, vices etc for both mill and lathe.
IMG_8225.JPG

Most of the time I get by with just what's already tooled up for both mill and lathe. If not I have this "spare" drawer.
Endmills, boring bars, inserts and whatever else is not a "daily use" item.
IMG_8227.JPG

Below that is then the spare endmill/large morse taper drills drawer.
Stuff here rarely gets used but is at the same time invaluable to have.
IMG_8226.JPG

I've considered having everything even closer to my mill/lathe but this has worked quite well for me and I feel no need to have more things cluttering up the work area.

Indeed, a very nice contrast :encourage:

It kind of surprises me that the tool storage manufacturers don’t pay more attention to this. Let’s take Huot as an example. What comes to the build quality, I really like some of their products. But in terms of visual control, their products suck. I mean, dark gray, come on!
I didn't know the machinist community was so fashion conscious. I like GRAY in the shop. It beats having so many colors that one gets dizzy looking around.

Back