Show me where you keep your milling / lathe tools!

Ben17484

Registered
Registered
Currently I have a draw/workbench and I keep my drill chucks / mill chuck / fly cutter / tool holders etc etc. for my mill and lathe.

I’ve seen people who build brackets to hold shelving etc and attached to their mills / lathes and many other ways to efficiently hold these common lathe and mill tooling near their respective machines.

I’m looking for inspiration from people so I can make something to hold my tooling.

Pictures please :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this a while back. I now have it on my list to make one for the other side:

This has been working really well. Accessible but also out of the way. The only issue is with the ram adjust knob. The rack blocs full turns. But, how often do you use that?

I’m looking for inspiration from people so I can make something to hold my tooling.

Pictures please :)
Prepare to be inspired

My Mini-Lathe & Mill (R8 Collets to the right of the Mill):
Mill n Lathe.jpeg

Lathe Tool Holders (on Magnetic Bar overhead):
Overhead Magnetic Bar Lathe Tool Holders.jpeg

More Lathe Tooling in drawer under Lathe:
Mostly Lathe Tooling.jpeg

Mostly Parallels in another drawer under the Lathe:
Mostly Parallels.jpeg

ER Collets, Holders & Stuff in bottom drawer under Lathe:
ER Collets n Holders Misc Tools.jpeg

Drills, Drill Chucks (Lathe & Mill) and End Mill Holders in top drawer under Mill:
Drills n Chucks End Mill Holders.jpeg

Slitting Saws & Arbors, Hold Downs, Machinist's Jacks, Screwless Vises in bottom drawer under Mill:
Slitting Saws n Arbors Hold Downs Stuff.jpeg

Knurlers, Ball Turner, Lathe Rests, Faceplate Stuff in bottom drawer of chest to right of Mill (not shown):
Manual & Scissors Knurlers Ball Turner Rests.jpeg

This is what works for me (I also have other stuff tucked into corners, on shelves, etc.).

For the lathe, I built a box to sit atop the gearbox, and I have a set of drawers underneath the chip pan.

I don’t have a mill or a lathe just yet, but will be definitely following this thread to get some ideas for the future :encourage:

Repeatedly hitting the Sherline 30% off deal, had to come up with place to make all readily available. So, cheap $50 tool box from Amazon:

DSZ_9304.jpg

Top holds big stuff and metrology, first drawer down is holders, second drawer down is cutters, bottom drawer is receipts and documentation, until I need that drawer for more tools....

80/20 extrusion plus printed tool holders for the lathe. That helped a lot. Tool chest with narrow drawers and bins for general stuff, plus an antique metal canning jar cabinet for stuff, and wire rack shelves for stock. I'm afraid that is too disorderly for a picture!
PXL_20231027_020229118.jpg

Cluttered storage unit, in ammo cans, coffee cans, boxes.
That's what I didn't show. I'm not that organized, despite my lathe tool rack. It gives a false sense of organization. My work area is mostly out of control. Needs a day (or two) of serious clean up, just so I can find things again. And then the cycle starts over...

That being said, the tooling rack is very nice. I adapted it from @vtcnc 's awesome design. The holders slide on and are adjustable for spacing, and they stay in place. The 80/20 is mounted to the back splash with wedges to tilt the holders back 5-10 degrees, so they don't ever fall off. Only problem is I've run out of room. Time to shoehorn in another piece of 80/20.

My mill tooling is a disaster really. Some old storage bins and stacked up stuff. Need to get something better.

Back