Show me where you keep your milling / lathe tools!

I didn't know the machinist community was so fashion conscious. I like GRAY in the shop. It beats having so many colors that one gets dizzy looking around.
This has absolutely nothing to do with fashion. It’s basic tool control. I want to be able to quickly scan a tool tray and see if anything is missing or is in the wrong place.

E: I agree with you on the exterior color of the tool storage. I don’t like my shop looking like McDonalds’s PlayPlace either :chunky:

Last edited:
I want to be able to quickly scan a tool tray and see if anything is missing or is in the wrong place.
Me too , but I gave up years ago . 55 degrees outside and just went thru some 1000 or so wrenches in the garage . It's a lost cause . :rolleyes:

This has absolutely nothing to do with fashion. It’s basic tool control. I want to be able to quickly scan a tool tray and see if anything is missing or is in the wrong place.

E: I agree with you on the exterior color of the tool storage. I don’t like my shop looking like McDonalds’s PlayPlace either :chunky:
I'm not sure you touched on that, you mentioned how you were talking about missing tools. So I took it as a fashion statement... Great Analogy about Mc D's PlayPlace..
Indeed, a very nice contrast :encourage:

It kind of surprises me that the tool storage manufacturers don’t pay more attention to this. Let’s take Huot as an example. What comes to the build quality, I really like some of their products. But in terms of visual control, their products suck. I mean, dark gray, come on!

I didn't know the machinist community was so fashion conscious. I like GRAY in the shop. It beats having so many colors that one gets dizzy looking around.
Amen. And all the good manufacturers know this, sadly that means old manufacturers more and more. Just look at a Clausing, Monarch or Bridgeport- or a Delta Rockwell, a Craftsman Block grinder- everything should be gray and sadder than hell in a machine shop. Makes the bourbon taste better.

Can't stand the visual chaos of all that crap designed to catch my eye in a catalog or a store shelf- it never stops catching your eye. On my big maple workbench I keep my most used hand tools on the raised metal shelf. No color allowed - wood and bare metal only- anything with a plastic colored handle goes on the lower shelf in a heap. I do have an orange dead blow hammer on my mill shelf beside my lead hammer - I'm working on that problem.

I don't mind a bit of color in the shop, I have several of the blue US General toolboxes from HF, but I was in there yesterday and saw a new line of 3 ton floor jacks in metal flake colors that were $280 and up, compared to the same basic jack you can get for $100 else where. Seems there are a lot more look'ie lookers than do'ey doers now days. Mike

I don't mind a bit of color in the shop, I have several of the blue US General toolboxes from HF, but I was in there yesterday and saw a new line of 3 ton floor jacks in metal flake colors that were $280 and up, compared to the same basic jack you can get for $100 else where. Seems there are a lot more look'ie lookers than do'ey doers now days. Mike
I found an old black roller box for sale for $60 but missed it. dang I wanted a black one

I welded up a tree post to hold my quick change tool holders. Conduit and some T shaped steel I bought in some scrap just fits the BXA holders. For the most part they are spaced 5 inches apart and staggered left and right for the tools to clear. The boring bar and knurling tool needed a bit more space. It is free standing (welded to a brake rotor) so it won't touch the lathe and vibrate the tools off. I have not decided whether it will live at the lathe end, behind the gearbox, or behind the lathe bed. If it goes behind the bed I may add some lower brackets. Forgive my welding as I don't see that well to weld any more, but even this bubble gum should support a 1 lb tool holder. And I had everything on hand, nothing to buy (I will need a little more gray paint).

Attachments

• IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    710.4 KB · Views: 31
I welded up a tree post to hold my quick change tool holders. Conduit and some T shaped steel I bought in some scrap just fits the BXA holders. For the most part they are spaced 5 inches apart and staggered left and right for the tools to clear. The boring bar and knurling tool needed a bit more space. It is free standing (welded to a brake rotor) so it won't touch the lathe and vibrate the tools off. I have not decided whether it will live at the lathe end, behind the gearbox, or behind the lathe bed. If it goes behind the bed I may add some lower brackets. Forgive my welding as I don't see that well to weld any more, but even this bubble gum should support a 1 lb tool holder. And I had everything on hand, nothing to buy (I will need a little more gray paint).
you going to water that tree?

Nice job, you going to make it swivel?

Thanks. I won't swivel it now, as it has 12 brackets and I only have 10 tool holders.

Back