Should I make QCTP holders?

Here in S Africa the majority of toolpost holders are the dickinson type.They are very expensive. I made about sixteen spare ones but I guess if I made thirty it would still not be enough.I just used mild steel and its held up okay.I had to make a special cutter to do the tee slot. I think the American ones look a bit simpler to make. ?I blued these in to the post and scraped them in for better contact but very little scraping was needed.
View attachment 285582
I think the Dickinson type are by far the most rigid, but yes they are more expensive, the other problem there does not appear to be a standard and one brand will not fit another. While the general design is the same there is always at least one dimension that will not fit. So that is why i change to Aloris.

More time than money and in my infinite wisdom didn't make my QCTP a standard size so I have to make them. The shaper does an incredible job cutting dovetails with cheap HSS cutters.
KIMG0429.jpg
Made this one for a really tall tool.

KIMG0431.jpg

Greg

You don't Need to mill dovetails to make QCTP tool holders if you have a wedge type tool post.... You can weld 2 pieces of round stock to the back of a block and the tool post will grab it....

Hi Plunger.
I am about to make some of those. I have a T-slot cutter,but would like to see the tool you made. Would you be so kind to post a pic of it?
Here is a pic. The pic are of some taps and a die I made. The big tap is a hob I made for my bandsaw worm wheel. You can see the tee slot cutter. The nice looking one is a bought one . I dont know how to cut it to look like the bought one.

I made a video showing my tooling I either made like the blocks, or modified like turning tools like I shown in other threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut the dovetails in a piece of stock about a foot long, then slice off what I need for each holder. A lot quicker than setting up the shaper 8 or 10 times.

Greg

I cut the dovetails in a piece of stock about a foot long, then slice off what I need for each holder. A lot quicker than setting up the shaper 8 or 10 times.

Greg
I know, but damn. Those holders were $12 each! I'd never be able to get the raw material that cheaply!

Back