Should I make QCTP holders?

Its an metric emco v13 maximat. The power of the internet is how I got the thread chasing dial. There is a very talented german living in Gauteng who has a emco v13 and he kindly made it for me for mahala.He has been a bit of a long distance mentor to me.

Great. Would you post a pic of the t-slot cutter if you are willing. Nothing in life is free,but just some times. .........you get lucky.

I will try find it tomorrow but there is not much to it. I made it for a clarckson collet holder so its threaded on one side and looks like a woodruff cutter but the teeth are not staggered. Made from silver steel and hardened with oxy acetelyne and quenched in oil and tempered.

I don't know if making a long dovetail and then slice them to size is going to be accurate enough or save much time but of course I'm just a new hobbyist and the tools at my disposal are limited. I made 15 OXA holders individually and hardest operation was cutting the dovetails and keeping an accurate distance between the two sides .

Not adding anything here but naturally it's where you want to spend your time. Want to make chips for a project, or make chips to hold a tool to make chips for a project later. Might be worth making a couple and decide if you want to make more.

I've cut dovetails maybe 3 or 4 times and didn't have any issues. Started with a "dado" to depth, then pecked away with the dovetail cutter. I tend to be ultra-conservative on feed rates and depth of cut. For me, since I've already cut dovetails to a decent tolerance before, would go with the easier/quicker CDCO tool holder route. If I needed a special holder for holding a drill chuck or deep tool, would do the mill work.

Bruce

I machined my own. The row of custom boring bar holders I used the machine a long dovetail and cut as needed. I adjusted the block thickness to the boring bar size. I say I have more time than money so I machine them. I might of gotten 3 BXA import ones for the cost of the material. Also I’m showing the tool holders I use that are made for larger lathes that are cut to fit the QCTP
0d61767a17d59dffbda7ef711d00e3fe.jpg
b17a0928407a6d98d3137b5f77175482.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea of cutting a dove tail right into a large tool for the QCTP

I machined my own. The row of custom boring bar holders I used the machine a long dovetail and cut as needed. I adjusted the block thickness to the boring bar size. I say I have more time than money so I machine them. I might of gotten 3 BXA import ones for the cost of the material. Also I’m showing the tool holders I use that are made for larger lathes that are cut to fit the QCTP
0d61767a17d59dffbda7ef711d00e3fe.jpg
b17a0928407a6d98d3137b5f77175482.jpg

I like your idea of just removing material for the toolholder you wil use for the specific holder. Thanks I am going to make mine that way.

I like the idea of cutting a dove tail right into a large tool for the QCTP

Most of my turning tools are those type. I picked up a lot of “obsolete” tooling from the day job I retired from.

I like your idea of just removing material for the toolholder you wil use for the specific holder. Thanks I am going to make mine that way.

Yes I wanted each boring bar to have its own block. Since I was planning to support it in a bore instead of flats in a tool holder. That allowed me to vary the block thickness to match the boring bar diameter. Also the blocks are longer than a standard tool block. The boring set has served me well

Back