Should I make QCTP holders?

SmokeWalker

Registered
Registered
I need a few (!) more BXA QCTP holders, and I was looking at the cost of 3, about $250 online, and I thought, I have a shaper, I can grind an HSS tool, for that much money in material, is it worth it to just make a few of these damned things? What do you think? I know it's a time vs. money situation, but beyond that, what would you guys do? What material would you recommend?

Shars sells their 201 tool holder for less than $13.00 on ebay. You can make them but they are so cheap that it isn't really worth doing, in my opinion. Even Aloris tool holders are under $70.00 each. Not sure why your estimate is so high.

Shars sells their 201 tool holder for less than $13.00 on ebay. You can make them but they are so cheap that it isn't really worth doing, in my opinion. Even Aloris tool holders are under $70.00 each. Not sure why your estimate is so high.
Oh man. That's the ticket!

Shars and CDCO both hose you on the shipping, I just made six of them a while back................

This is from Shars: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-10-1...Envelope!94043!US!-1:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

If you contact the seller he may combine shipping. Click on "contact seller" and hit the "shipping" question button and scroll down for instructions.

Amazon sells them for $17.86, shipped: https://www.amazon.com/CHANGE-TURNI...id=1548144617&sr=8-3&keywords=bxa+tool+holder

By the time you factor in the cost of materials and tooling, not to mention time, it still comes out cheaper just to buy them.

Making them yourself gives an opportunity to make custom sizes and shapes as needed. Larger tool holding possible. Integrating tools within like a scissor knurler within the tool holder instead of held by it, etc.. Things not possible to buy.

And a nice project if you have the tools.

If I had the tools and time I'd like to try and make some, but don't really have the time. I got 5 holders with my Aloris BXA when I bought it but I've also got some cheap ones from Banggood. I use the good aloris ones for the main tools but for others i think the cheap ones are ok.

Last week, I dug out the box with the QCTP holders that the seller included with the 14" logan I bought, discovered they were CXA and the toolpost is BXA (an Aloris with *one* holder).

I bought a couple of pricey Aloris ones, and a ton of the cheap Shars ones. If I need any more I'll probably try my hand at making some, but right now I need to get up and running with the (ever-growing) list of existing projects.

As a side note, one of the Shars I bought was a morse taper 2 holder. Looks like a reasonably-priced way to get a chuck in the toolpost.

I got a couple new Dorians for $63 back in October. The nice thing about Dorian holders is that they hold 1" tools, not that you would but .75" tools are nice to use.
If you are new to machining I'd make my own, good practice.
I've made several but have no intentions of making them again.

Back