Should I make QCTP holders?

I know it's a time vs. money situation, but beyond that, what would you guys do? What material would you recommend?

Making your own is rewarding. Using new metals is fun.
I've made mine from unhardened A2.
Consider making one very long dovetail and then slicing pieces off like bread to the desired length.
Without question make your own unless you've got money making jobs stacking up...

Daryl
MN

Here in S Africa the majority of toolpost holders are the dickinson type.They are very expensive. I made about sixteen spare ones but I guess if I made thirty it would still not be enough.I just used mild steel and its held up okay.I had to make a special cutter to do the tee slot. I think the American ones look a bit simpler to make. ?I blued these in to the post and scraped them in for better contact but very little scraping was needed.
toolholders.jpg

Hi Plunger.
I am about to make some of those. I have a T-slot cutter,but would like to see the tool you made. Would you be so kind to post a pic of it?

May I ask what tipe of lathe you have. I can see the thread chasing dial in the picture and it looks like one for an imperial lathe,is that an imperial lathe?

Making your own is rewarding. Using new metals is fun.
I've made mine from unhardened A2.
Consider making one very long dovetail and then slicing pieces off like bread to the desired length.
Without question make your own unless you've got money making jobs stacking up...

Daryl
MN

I like the one long dovetail and slice 'em off idea....

Back