Should I buy it - Jet 1224PS Lathe ?

I was assuming you meant a full CNC lathe like the ones that are housed in a RV car looking stuff.

Not at all. The sheet metal housing around the works is just to contain the coolant from a high pressure flood coolant system. A light spray mist system would suffice in your case. No need for all of the containment.

You can learn a great deal from researching on the Internet, but without actually making chips it's all theoretical knowledge. You may find a better deal by waiting but you will loose nothing by going to look at machines, especially if they are under power and the owner is willing to demonstrate their operation.

Knowing what I know now this Jet, or something like it, would be a good candidate for starting out with. I bought my Star with very little knowledge and only $300 15 years ago. It served me well in my business for years but only recently did I actually start using it as designed and there are many things I would rather have than the taper attachment.

If you haven't contacted the seller I would do so today. It's probably already spoken for but if not I would go check it out, there are threads on here about what to look for but if it's running and the carriage moves smoothly it will probably be okay. At that price you should be able to get your money back if it's ultimately not what you need but there are many, many basic skills to master before you get to your ultimate goals and a manual lathe is the right place to start.

JMHO,

John

I'm going to wait for a better deal, many on this post has said $1,500 is a bit too steep. But then again I really need it...

I'm going to wait for a better deal, many on this post has said $1,500 is a bit too steep. But then again I really need it...

If you really need a lathe you're not likely to do better for $1500. Yes, great deals do come along but rarely when you really need them.

Expect to pay more than twice that for a new 12" built in China.

John

If you really need a lathe you're not likely to do better for $1500. Yes, great deals do come along but rarely when you really need them.

Expect to pay more than twice that for a new 12" built in China.

John

True, going to brainstorm and see if I can find any used lathe out there.

True, going to brainstorm and see if I can find any used lathe out there.
They are out there, seems like more now than ever. But you need to know what you're looking for and be ready with cash when the opportunity arises.

The machine in NJ seems like a clean example located in a well equipped shop, I'll bet the blue tarps in his photos are hiding something even nicer and that's why he's selling the Jet. You could do worse than investing a few hours to take a look at this machine and speak with the owner, putting your hands on the iron is the only way to get a feel for it.

John

You think I'll be able to make some nice quick disconnect coupling with this JET lathe?

Get it, you won't regret the move. Ulma Doctor found a 10x24 version for me in his neck of the woods. He shipped it to TX. The lathe turned out to be me favorite for doing AR15 barrels. If I were charging for the labor, it could have paid for it itself many many times over.

My friends call it my Christmas tree lathe.

Resized_20180116_070008.jpeg

Last edited:
You think I'll be able to make some nice quick disconnect coupling with this JET lathe?
What you can make depends ultimately on your level of skill and determination. You can certainly learn the skills you need by starting with a manual lathe since it's the most basic of machine tools. It is the right place to start if making precision parts from metal is your goal and that machine appears to be a good example. People do all kinds of very impressive work with even the $700 mini lathes from Harbor Freight but I would consider a 12" x 36" Taiwan lathe to be a good starting point in the hobby.

If your only goal is making quick disconnect fittings then it might be better to invest your time learning CAD software like AutoCAD, SolidWorks, or FreeCAD and sending your designs to someone with a commercial CNC shop. But, that's not what this forum is about, it's about learning how to make things with machines in your shop. And, learning how to run a manual lathe is the first step on that journey.

Cheers,

John

Just so you're operating with full knowledge, let me interject a clarification on my earlier post. Granted, I grabbed my Kin Shin for $750 including all tooling. But you need to recognize that was a super deal. The guy who owned it was a very old machinist who was eager to sell out everything he had. Most of his stuff was old and heavily used, but this machine had been sitting in his over-sized shop for years basically collecting dust. It didn't even have an electric cord on it, so there's no doubt it was out of operation for decades. I showed up looking for a bunch of tooling and saw it sitting in a corner. I didn't even know what it was at the time, but even a rookie could tell this thing was pristine. And I was also wise enough to know old equipment out of Taiwan was good stuff. He said $750, and I jumped on it. After I bought it, I looked on ebay and craigslist and realized what a great deal that was. I would venture to suggest that IF the machine you're looking at is in as good condition as the one I bought, and you had to double that amount to get the tooling and attachments you need, you'd still have a hard time getting a newer machine that's equivalent for the same amount of money. Newer stuff in that price range is Chinese - not Taiwanese. There's a huge difference. I know, because I've had both.

I'm not saying 'buy it'. But I am suggesting don't write it off without going to look at it first. It could be junk, but then again, it could be a gem.

Regards,

Back