Should I buy it - Jet 1224PS Lathe ?

I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. Not really rushing and as of now I can't move forward without a lathe.
go at your own pace, buy once and buy good. you only need to please yourself

It seems like I'll have to spend an additional $1,200 for this clausing lathe to fit in my basement, after speaking with the owner.

$1,600 is a good buy?

Well you built a Clough42 ELS, I wouldn't even use belts or gears to monitor the spindle speed. I would use cheap homemade laser sensors such as a "LIDAR" or magnetic sensors that would be far more cheaper and superior than gears, belts and motors which will reduce the cost of a "Clough42 ELS". But for me it would cost around that price range ($150-$200) and for others possible $350 or more and I wouldn't even buy a "nema 23" stepper motor from the internet, it'll be much cheaper when I just 3D print my own stepper motor which will be just effective as the bought stuff and yes the magnetic core of my homemade 3D printer is also 3D printed using homemade filaments made from selected performance polymers and high inductance ferromagnetic powders such as iron or possibly performance ferromagnetic amorphous metal powders (hitachi's Metglas or Finemet) something which no one has even done yet.

Just because you can, doesn't mean should. :) Nothing wrong with designing and building your own components, in fact that is a great way to do things. But.... I have found that it's usually best to have reliable equipment to start with using tried and true off-the-shelf components. Then build the experimental devices. This comes from about 60 years of inventing, designing, and building stuff. Up until recently my shop equipment was dedicated solely to supporting invention and design. You need the solid base to start from.

Just as a side note, it is common to use Hall Effect sensors to monitor spindle speed on simple CNC machines.

It seems like I'll have to spend an additional $1,200 for this clausing lathe to fit in my basement, after speaking with the owner.

$1,600 is a good buy?
$1,600 is not out of the range of acceptability.
a few jobs pay for the things we want and need.
don't get hung up on price, if you really need it

Just because you can, doesn't mean should. :) Nothing wrong with designing and building your own components, in fact that is a great way to do things. But.... I have found that it's usually best to have reliable equipment to start with using tried and true off-the-shelf components. Then build the experimental devices. This comes from about 60 years of inventing, designing, and building stuff. Up until recently my shop equipment was dedicated solely to supporting invention and design. You need the solid base to start from.

Just as a side note, it is common to use Hall Effect sensors to monitor spindle speed on simple CNC machines.

I totally agree, start off with "tried and true off-the-shelf components".

When I first developed an interest in making things, my mom bought a book at a used book store.
That book was "Machine Tool Metalworking" by Feirer and Tatro which really lit the fire.
Nothing beats a good book supplemented with tool catalogs to peruse.
If you're wondering what tooling costs take a look at CDCO as one example out of many: http://www.cdcotools.com/

When I first developed an interest in making things, my mom bought a book at a used book store.
That book was "Machine Tool Metalworking" by Feirer and Tatro which really lit the fire.
Nothing beats a good book supplemented with tool catalogs to peruse.
If you're wondering what tooling costs take a look at CDCO as one example out of many: http://www.cdcotools.com/

Oh man... I just love a good book. This book seems old, the older books give much better explanation than the moden books.

I do have a copy of "Metal Lathe for Home Machinists" by Harold Hall

It's rated close to 5 stars among 163 people on amazon:

Thanks!

Any videos on youtube how to make quick disconnect couplers using a lathe? I couldn't find any.

Back