Should I buy it - Jet 1224PS Lathe ?

To the OP, you keep saying that the ELS will run $150. That may be, if the gears, belts, and motor aren't included in the number. I built the Clough42 ELS and it was about $350 once fully complete. My point is, don't delude yourself on what the extras cost, some of which aren't optional. It'll be a lot if you buy good quality tools.

As another data point on lathes, I got a Takasawa TSL-800 for $1500, a 5-hp, 2,500 lb beast, but with its 32" bed, it fit in the same space that my Grizzly 12x36" took up. It also didn't come with much tooling, but that's a double-edged sword. People will tell you that a lathe isn't a good deal unless it comes with tooling... the assumption is, good tooling. Mine came with a QCTP that was tired out and an 8" Buck chuck that was not only worn and beat up, but one that had no parts available. So I paid for extras that didn't work out, which was a waste on my part.

Another hidden cost is getting it from the seller into your shop. The first place I contacted wanted around $1,000 to move it 4 miles, and the second place was more reasonable, but still $300. My point is, your "$1,500" lathe isn't that unless you move it. Again, don't delude yourself on the expense of the whole entire package and go into it with your eyes open.

The deal you ultimately find all comes down to how patient you are. Worst thing of all: falling in love with a machine that you just have to have.

Last edited:
Get it, you won't regret the move. Ulma Doctor found a 10x24 version for me in his neck of the woods. He shipped it to TX. The lathe turned out to be me favorite for doing AR15 barrels. If I were charging for the labor, it could have paid for it itself many many times over.

My friends call it my Christmas tree lathe.

View attachment 330789
NIce lathe

What you can make depends ultimately on your level of skill and determination. You can certainly learn the skills you need by starting with a manual lathe since it's the most basic of machine tools. It is the right place to start if making precision parts from metal is your goal and that machine appears to be a good example. People do all kinds of very impressive work with even the $700 mini lathes from Harbor Freight but I would consider a 12" x 36" Taiwan lathe to be a good starting point in the hobby.

If your only goal is making quick disconnect fittings then it might be better to invest your time learning CAD software like AutoCAD, SolidWorks, or FreeCAD and sending your designs to someone with a commercial CNC shop. But, that's not what this forum is about, it's about learning how to make things with machines in your shop. And, learning how to run a manual lathe is the first step on that journey.

Cheers,

John

Learning CAD is extremely easy, already know some basic CAD from autocad to solidworks, what is more important to me is the practical characteristics of the the fittings. I'm that type of person who does not feel satisfied from just making a fitting by simply importing the "mcmaster carr" cad drawings.

I'm not please with the standard fitting designs, would like to make my own unique fittings and do not want the parts made without valid scientific engineering analysis. The fittings that are designed must first go through simulation to understand how it will perform in the real world.
For example, how many times can the fitting be repeatedly used till the O-Rings fail or the threads starts to degrade and what pressure or what not will be safe. Everything must be evaluated through simulation in solidworks or Ansys first, then get the parts made so that no leaks or failure would ever occur from the first installation of the fittings.

For some reason I got this bug to actually make the parts myself, I like to learn how things are made from scratch, a solid block of metal turned into a beautiful fitting what I see on youtube is rather addicting and pleasing, specially when you designed them from scratch using math, formulas, science and software.

<snip>

For some reason I got this bug to actually make the parts myself, I like to learn how things are made from scratch, a solid block of metal turned into a beautiful fitting what I see on youtube is rather addicting and pleasing, specially when you designed them from scratch using math, formulas, science and software.

Then you are in the right place :encourage:

John

To the OP, you keep saying that the ELS will run $150. That may be, if the gears, belts, and motor aren't included in the number. I built the Clough42 ELS and it was about $350 once fully complete. My point is, don't delude yourself on what the extras cost, some of which aren't optional. It'll be a lot if you buy good quality tools.

As another data point on lathes, I got a Takasawa TSL-800 for $1500, a 5-hp, 2,500 lb beast, but with its 32" bed, it fit in the same space that my Grizzly 12x36" took up. It also didn't come with much tooling, but that's a double-edged sword. People will tell you that a lathe isn't a good deal unless it comes with tooling... the assumption is, good tooling. Mine came with a QCTP that was tired out and an 8" Buck chuck that was not only worn and beat up, but one that had no parts available. So I paid for extras that didn't work out, which was a waste on my part.

Another hidden cost is getting it from the seller into your shop. The first place I contacted wanted around $1,000 to move it 4 miles, and the second place was more reasonable, but still $300. My point is, your "$1,500" lathe isn't that unless you move it. Again, don't delude yourself on the expense of the whole entire package and go into it with your eyes open.

The deal you ultimately find all comes down to how patient you are. Worst thing of all: falling in love with a machine that you just have to have.

Well you built a Clough42 ELS, I wouldn't even use belts or gears to monitor the spindle speed. I would use cheap homemade laser sensors such as a "LIDAR" or magnetic sensors that would be far more cheaper and superior than gears, belts and motors which will reduce the cost of a "Clough42 ELS". But for me it would cost around that price range ($150-$200) and for others possible $350 or more and I wouldn't even buy a "nema 23" stepper motor from the internet, it'll be much cheaper when I just 3D print my own stepper motor which will be just effective as the bought stuff and yes the magnetic core of my homemade 3D printer is also 3D printed using homemade filaments made from selected performance polymers and high inductance ferromagnetic powders such as iron or possibly performance ferromagnetic amorphous metal powders (hitachi's Metglas or Finemet) something which no one has even done yet.

Last edited:
People spend years deciding what lathe is best for them; trying to short cut that process can lead to disappointment. At the rate you're going, it almost guarantees that a month after buying something, something better will pop up. Why the rush? You need to back off, take a breath, and take more time researching your requirements and what's out there that meets those needs. You're the one setting the schedule, give yourself more time. On the one hand, you write as if you've got everything figured out, yet seem desperate to buy an undefined tool right now and want to be told what that is. Okay.

Last edited:
I can totally understand the desire to start making chips right away and as you've found, there seem to be decent used lathes popping up right now, maybe it's the economy or maybe people are just finding their "forever lathe" and selling off surplus.

In either case I feel strongly that we only have one resource that is truly limited and that is time. Don't get me wrong, spending your time to research and figure out requirements is critical to not being disappointed in the short term. But, actually using machine tools to make parts is what will ultimately teach you what your real requirements are. You sound like a fairly young guy so realize that starting off in this hobby young will let you learn and grow in ways that waiting 30 years won't.

Buying a decent used lathe for a fair price will afford you the ability to start making some chips. Will it make every part you can ever conceive of, probably not. But until you learn the basics it's hard to even understand what capabilities are needed and which are just "nice to have". As I already said, the manual metal lathe is the essential tool for machining and learning how to run one will serve as the basis for everything else you do in the hobby.

Assuming $2500 is within your budget for getting started (lathe + tooling + measuring tools + material to practice with) then I'd say you should go ahead and move forward with this quest. The Clausing looks decent, it might have an L00 spindle which could be challenging as posted in a recent thread here but "old iron" does have a certain appeal.

At least go and look at some of these machines and talk with their owners. You're likely to come away with knowledge you wouldn't otherwise get even if you don't buy the machine.

John

the clausing is a quality machine tool.
you would not go wrong buying clausing equipment.
it looks a bit more used than the 1224 lathe in the first part of the thread, but i'm sure will still make good parts

People spend years deciding what lathe is best for them; trying to short cut that process can lead to disappointing. At the rate you're going, it almost guarantees that a month after buying something, something better will pop up. Why the rush? You need to back off, take a breath, and take more time researching your requirements and what's out there that meets those needs. You're the one setting the schedule, give yourself more time. On the one hand, you write as if you've got everything figured out, yet seem desperate to buy an undefined tool right now and want to be told what that is. Okay.

I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. Not really rushing and as of now I can't move forward without a lathe.

Back